U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:18 PM

28,308 posts, read 26,314,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The oldest and most generally accepted demarcation for the Eastside is the LA River. So Glassell, Mt. Washington, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Boyle Heights, Eagle Rock - maybe Atwater Village - are considered Eastside neighborhoods.

It's not Westside neighborhoods that are trying to call themselves Eastside, but Central LA neighborhoods like Echo Park, Silver Lake, Los Feliz. They are firmly Central LA neighborhoods, and Silver Lake even wasted neighborhood council meeting time to vote that they definitely weren't on the Eastside. I think some people took offense as if SL was saying they were too "nice" to be associated with the Eastside neighborhoods, but I don't think that was really the case, it was more recognizing that LA River demarcation of Central / East LA.
Okay. I thought the guy in the article was saying that if you lived west of the river (which I assume Hollywood is), then you're the "Westside." Or perhaps just non-Eastside, I suppose. Initially, I thought it was more of a East-West divide like you have in Baltimore.

It looks like the LA Times did a feature on this already. They asked for user made maps and then combined them all together. People were all over the place.

Where does the Westside start? - Debates - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 11:57 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The Upper East Side ends at 96th street, the UWS at 110th. That's been true for a long time.

Hell's Kitchen was actually Clinton before it was Hell's Kitchen. "Midtown West" seems to be the new real estate agent name for it; at least it's reasonably accurate.
That would depend on whom you talk to. I have lived in Harlem now for a number of years and know some natives in the area. Older natives. They will tell you that on the West side below 110th where Central Park ends is Harlem and always has been . But that changed when a demographic shift came about. And just as BajanYankee stated, those same people whom may have "converted" blocks of Harlem also try and separate Morningside Heights from Harlem, which is ludicrous.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:30 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,057,445 times
Quote:
And just as BajanYankee stated, those same people whom may have "converted" blocks of Harlem also try and separate Morningside Heights from Harlem, which is ludicrous
In my opinion, that is the 'suburbification' of cities - where in suburbs, all sudvisions have distinct names even though there is generally nothing that is especially distinct about them, and nobody actually uses the proper subdivision names except for the people who live there.

They are just copying that into the city environment. Compare that to actual city districts, which have historical reasons for being named the way they are but are relatively larger in size and moderately well known even by visitors.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:27 PM

87,057 posts, read 102,770,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In my opinion, that is the 'suburbification' of cities - where in suburbs, all sudvisions have distinct names even though there is generally nothing that is especially distinct about them, and nobody actually uses the proper subdivision names except for the people who live there.

They are just copying that into the city environment. Compare that to actual city districts, which have historical reasons for being named the way they are but are relatively larger in size and moderately well known even by visitors.
Tell me which city districts in Denver you're familiar with.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The Upper East Side ends at 96th street, the UWS at 110th. That's been true for a long time.

Hell's Kitchen was actually Clinton before it was Hell's Kitchen. "Midtown West" seems to be the new real estate agent name for it; at least it's reasonably accurate.
Midtown West actually makes sense now that they have that building boom going on over there, especially with the whole Hudson Yards project.

As long as they don't call it MiWe or something stupid like that.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post

I have to actually disagree with you here. There might be historical content to the names of some neighborhoods and districts, but often times the names of city districts come from either city founder names or are given names from a real estate marketing standpoint.

In Portland, most of the neighborhood names comes from real estate marketing.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:17 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,206 posts, read 1,583,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have to actually disagree with you here. There might be historical content to the names of some neighborhoods and districts, but often times the names of city districts come from either city founder names or are given names from a real estate marketing standpoint.

In Portland, most of the neighborhood names comes from real estate marketing.
I belive was OverDog was referring to was the fact that realtors, as well as new entrants tend to try and rename the areas to thier liking. I know in NYC, this is the issue. Its the Realtors whom try and redefine a particular area by giving it a new acronym. Those areas are, in large part, existing areas of neighborhoods. Just with mainly a demographic shift/change...i.e. Gentrification. I mean Spanish Harlem is just East Harlem. Been known as such forever and its name is derived from the numbers of PuertoRican immigrants that settled in that area Uptown. Now that there are new entrants into the area, meaning Gentrification is becoming, it now has the utopian tag of SpaHa

But I could be wrong in my interpretation of OverDogs statement...this is what I got from his response to my post that I believe he was agreeing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or