U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:11 PM

275 posts, read 315,668 times

Advertisements

This thread seems to only apply to living in a suburban environment and doesn't really apply if you live in (let's say) Manhattan or Center City Philadelphia where you can walk to everything and there are plenty of amenities outside your doorstep. Now the affordability of living in an urban core is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 07:26 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Portland is the 8th most traffic congested city in the nation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxOsrlZK5xQ

Urban commuting is only one of the many urban time robbers.
That is true if you live in Vancouver and work in Beaverton. But that isn't the point. Portland traffic doesn't bother me.

Obviously Pittsburgh traffic bothered you and you moved to a rural place that works for you, that is awesome.

For me my commute time is a third of the time compared to the couples years I lived in NYC metro, which is fantastic for me. Not everyone wants to live in rural areas and not everyone in rural areas have short commutes.

So for me, my commute isn't really robbing me of my time.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
I can see some outer suburbs being a 1.5 hour commute by transit from a city's downtown, but places just 5 miles away? I think that's pretty unusual.
It sounds like he had to commute through terrain that caused major bottlenecking.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:28 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,292,026 times
Maybe the average urban dweller wastes more time in traffic, but the average rural dweller wastes more time in a low income, dead-end job. Given the population trends in this country, that's a trade-off most people are willing to make.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,380,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Maybe the average urban dweller wastes more time in traffic, but the average rural dweller wastes more time in a low income, dead-end job. Given the population trends in this country, that's a trade-off most people are willing to make.
Dude,

It's not about the money you earn, but the quality of life your dollars can purchase.

How much is your time worth?

Think about how much better an urban dweller's life would be if they had more time. If they had more time, would they live a healthier lifestyle? How much is a person's health worth? Would an urban dwellers stress level be lower if they weren't victims of time robbers? Would an urban working person feel less guilt because they would have time to prepare a proper wholesome meal for their family instead of dragging home a sack of fast food? These are just a few of the issues people don't take into consideration when choosing to work or live in an urban environment.

Last edited by eccotecc; 09-28-2014 at 08:14 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Dude,

It's not about the money you earn, but the quality of life your dollars can purchase.

Think about how much better an urban dweller's life would be if they had more time. If they had more time, would they live a healthier lifestyle? How much is a person's health worth? Would an urban dwellers stress level be lower if they weren't victims of time robbers? Would an urban working mother feel less guilt because she would have time to prepare a proper wholesome meal instead of dragging home a sack of fast food? These are just a few of the issues people don't take into consideration when choosing to work or live in an urban environment.
So what you are saying is that it is important to live close to where you work to help reduce commute time or as you call it "time robbers."

I think we all agree with you.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 PM

820 posts, read 1,368,373 times
The other side of this is that when you live in a rural area, everything is farther away so you still waste time (and gas) driving everywhere. We live in a semi-rural area and you need to drive to get everything. Grocery store: 20 min. preschool: 15-20 min., mall: 30 min. places of employment: 30 min to 1:30 hours commute.

So, no, I don't think you save time living in a rural area. You don't have traffic, but have to plan on driving at least 10-20 miles on rural 2 lane roads to get to a Walmart or Target, to the grocery store, to go to the movies, and so on.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Dude,

Think about how much better an urban dweller's life would be if they had more time. If they had more time, would they live a healthier lifestyle? How much is a person's health worth? Would an urban dwellers stress level be lower if they weren't victims of time robbers? Would an urban working mother feel less guilt because she would have time to prepare a proper wholesome meal instead of dragging home a sack of fast food? These are just a few of the issues people don't take into consideration when choosing to work or live in an urban environment.

Someone who is unemployed has plenty of time to prepare a wholesome home-cooked meal, but most people would choose employment over unemployment. I'm very, very busy with my job, and I'm quite well compensated quite well for doing it. Unfortunately, I have much less free time than if I worked part-time at McDonalds. I actually work in the medical profession, where it is possible to earn a decent income in a rural environment. But most other high income jobs are heavily concentrated in urban areas.

People are choosing to move to urban areas because there is greater economic opportunity, despite the downsides of congestion and possibly long commutes. Are you suggesting they should stay in rural areas with less than optimal economic circumstances?

Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 PM

2,235 posts, read 2,380,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
The other side of this is that when you live in a rural area, everything is farther away so you still waste time (and gas) driving everywhere. We live in a semi-rural area and you need to drive to get everything. Grocery store: 20 min. preschool: 15-20 min., mall: 30 min. places of employment: 30 min to 1:30 hours commute.

So, no, I don't think you save time living in a rural area. You don't have traffic, but have to plan on driving at least 10-20 miles on rural 2 lane roads to get to a Walmart or Target, to the grocery store, to go to the movies, and so on.
I'm suggesting a person may want to consider smaller city or small town living, and not necessarily rural living down a dirt road somewhere in Hicksville county.

I live in a small city of 80,000 people and everything is within 5-10 minutes away.

It pays to think outside of the box. Unfortunately many people never have time to think of an alternative place to live and how they could make it happen.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I'm suggesting a person may want to consider smaller city or small town living, and not necessarily rural living down a dirt road somewhere in Hicksville county.

I live in a small city of 80,000 people and everything is within 5-10 minutes away.

It pays to think outside of the box. Unfortunately many people never have time to think of an alternative place to live and how they could make it happen.
I personally think living in that small of a town would lead to my premature death, resulting in many years of lost time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or