U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 11:53 AM

275 posts, read 316,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Broadway isn't as high rise south of Midtown, and more interesting IMO:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7395...yvZQCJ6nkA!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7336...ewmTV7jd0Q!2e0

the high pedestrian volume can get irritating but when it's not too extreme adds to its appeal or at least distinctiveness
I agree, but there are plenty of more interesting streets in NYC and elsewhere. For instance, Bedford Avenue in NYC's Williamsburg neighborhood and 9th Street (aka the Italian Market) in South Philadelphia are worthier streets IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM

10,087 posts, read 13,149,681 times
Keep in mind they pick 10 every year, the 10 that are seen in the link are just 2014's winners.

Going back I see Santa Monica Blvd is one of the streets from the LA area that won it. I can definitely see why, the Weho portion is really nice to walk along.

State Street in Santa Barbara is also a very nice street, I think it definitely deserves it. Santa Barbara feels like a bigger city than it actually is in large part because of nice pedestrian-friendly streets like State.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:33 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,275,035 times
The best streets for me don't prioritize vehicle traffic, or don't allow them at all.
The only place I can think of like that in the US is Mackinac Island in Michigan, where cars are mostly banned.

Main St. Mackinac Island
File:M185mackinac.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,973,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is a list of the 10 best streets in the US.

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/streets/2014/

What experience has anyone had with these streets? Is there any streets you know of that is like these streets and should be considered a great street? I have had experience with a few of these streets, and proud to have the transit mall in Portland making the list.

world.nycsubway.org: Portland MAX

Feel free to discuss the streets on the list, post photos that showcase these streets, as well as streets that have impressed you that are not on this list....in other words, this thread should be a thread to celebrate our favorite streets.
LoL. You should visit Portland sometime. The place is a complete mess of traffic. Almost everyone wants a car, but they don't want enough street space for other people to get a car, so they sit in traffic and honk at the guy next to them because he had the exact same thought.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,130,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
LoL. You should visit Portland sometime. The place is a complete mess of traffic. Almost everyone wants a car, but they don't want enough street space for other people to get a car, so they sit in traffic and honk at the guy next to them because he had the exact same thought.
Umm, he lives in Portland.

I didn't find Portland traffic particularly bad noticed little honking. For a big city, the drivers seemed very polite.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:04 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,973,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
The best streets for me don't prioritize vehicle traffic, or don't allow them at all.
The only place I can think of like that in the US is Mackinac Island in Michigan, where cars are mostly banned.

Main St. Mackinac Island
File:M185mackinac.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is not a street. It was a street. Now it is a paved biking path.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,130,556 times
Quote:
Just because cars aren't allowed doesn't mean it's not a street

Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,611,419 times
Quote:
Um, I live in Portland. Some areas are bad when it comes to being choke points due to terrain or water, but overall traffic isn't bad in Portland compared to other cities I have been to.

And if you hop on a bike and do you commuting that way, there is pretty much no issue with traffic.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,275,035 times
Quote:
According to Michigan DOT, M-185 is "the only state highway in the nation where motor vehicles are banned"

It's called Main Street for a reason.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:15 AM

21,698 posts, read 23,732,396 times
Quote:
I agree, I lived in Portland before it became so congested. Now its so crowded you take your life in your hands when you try to cross the street. I know people who refuse to drive downtown any longer because they are afraid of the mess.

Working downtown in Portland for over thirty years, I saw accidents increase over the years. Cars, buses, light rail, bikes and all manner of transportation vie for room on streets that were never meant for all that traffic. If people are happy with that, that's fine. But it made me nervous as working downtown became more of a challenge of running an obstacle course as a pedestrian as time went by rather than the pleasant experience it once was.

I would hasten to add that prior to living in Portland I lived in Chicago and I never felt as unsafe around downtown traffic as a pedestrian crossing streets as I did in Portland as it became more and more congested. But again, to each their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning