U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 PM

899 posts, read 764,676 times

Advertisements

Annexation in Richmond would be horrible because all the suburban* dweebs would ruin our great city. I'm thrilled at who my city attracts and thank god (or some likeness) that it repels the people that it does. The same horrible people (and their descendants) that left the city to flounder (for fear of integration) are the ones that ***** about it now. They deal with their guilt by trying to blame taxes and mismanagement for their racist actions.

Good riddance suckers. We've fostered something beautiful here and don't need you to ruin it.

*all you cool suburbanites can continue to celebrate meaningful events in the city and bring your out of town guests in to gaze at our beautiful and significant landmarks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 01:15 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There is one example of what you cited which has already happened however - the Tidewater area of Virginia. Virginia Beach started out more or less as a suburb of Norfolk, and is now over twice the size of Norfolk in terms of population. Admittedly this is mostly due to larger landmass - Norfolk at least has some old urban neighborhoods, and I don't think there's anything in Virginia Beach even resembling a CBD. But it still has outgrown the original core city.
The town of Virginia Beach has a core which is basically the strip. Which tourism is a big money maker in Virginia Beach. And as of the last 14 years, Virginia Beach also has a downtown now that is home to the tallest building in Virginia located in the Pembroke area of the city.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...13097989790521

Old 10-11-2014, 07:02 PM

8,109 posts, read 9,554,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Annexation in Richmond would be horrible because all the suburban* dweebs would ruin our great city. I'm thrilled at who my city attracts and thank god (or some likeness) that it repels the people that it does. The same horrible people (and their descendants) that left the city to flounder (for fear of integration) are the ones that ***** about it now. They deal with their guilt by trying to blame taxes and mismanagement for their racist actions.

Good riddance suckers. We've fostered something beautiful here and don't need you to ruin it.

*all you cool suburbanites can continue to celebrate meaningful events in the city and bring your out of town guests in to gaze at our beautiful and significant landmarks
Grow up, there were no criticisms of those who choose to live in the city. Your elected officials are to frequently inept and corrupt but if you like them that's fine it's not my tax dollar paying.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:54 PM

7,378 posts, read 10,064,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
But you are wrong about what happened in Colorado when Denver annexed Adams County land in 1988. Denver did not receive any exemption from the provisions of the Colorado constitution. Minus the airport (about 50 sq. mi.) Denver is about 100 sm. In point of fact, Salt Lake City; Omaha; Little Rock; Portland; Philadelphia; Detroit and Raleigh are large cities that are >100 sq. mi. Cities >153 sq. miles include Wichita, KS; Montgomery, AL; NOLA; Albuquerque; Columbus,OH; Chicago; Virginia Beach; Lexington, KY; Charlotte, NC; Austin; NYC; Kansas City, MO; Memphis; Louisville, KY; Ft. Worth; Dallas; Chesapeake, VA; Indianapolis; LA; Nashville; Phoenix; Houston; OK City; Jacksonville, FL; and 4 Alaska cities. I have bolded the cities east of Denver.

List of United States cities by area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And your point is?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:44 PM

86,985 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
And your point is?
That many cities east of Denver are as large or larger in square miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning