U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:20 AM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_Correct View Post
I Hate Formal Attire.
Come to Denver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,854,178 times
I gather this is about the informal economy, not people wearing cutoff jeans :-)

Anyway, when you have a demand unsatisfied because of regulation, you will get an informal supply. Jitneys and dollar vans discussed in a recent thread were an example; unpermitted housing is another. Of course the response of the regulators is rarely to look and see if their regulations are too strict and choking off supply; it's to call for the goon squad to imprison the infromal suppliers. Which rarely works.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:44 AM

6,040 posts, read 4,443,353 times
I am not necessarily a fan of it. Much of it that I see in Los Angeles leads to little local pockets of filth, vagrancy, and traffic problems (double and triple parked cars, for instance). And I'm not even talking about informal housing in LA which I think has the potential to be explosive in a bad way.

Things like food trucks have sort of become regulated here, and the initial problems they had in some neighborhoods have apparently gotten ironed out. I don't see food trucks in places where they're not wanted usually anymore.

AirBnB will be the next big controversy. I've used it successfully a few times, and in a manner in which it's intended. But I'm starting to see more than a few cases now of people abusing it...renting out homes specifically for big parties (there a couple well-known ones near me), weed BnBs (yup...it's LA), a guy near me who bought two RVs and is AirBnB'ing them... A few bad apples like this have the potential to really eff things up for the rest.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:53 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,574,087 times
I guess I'd like to hear the OP explain the concept in a little more detail, rather than a link to a book that one can order. Maybe he's trying to drum up sales?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM

32,403 posts, read 59,899,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think cities should allow them.
Allow what? Informalities? Would that abolish the dress code at work?

Quote:
Not all housing and commerce should have to be permitted. Zoning and regulations often cause rent hikes.
Aha. So ... I'm thinking that some kind of zoning or code requirement caused the OP's rent to go up, and now s/he's taking it personally and wanting to stamp out all regulations.

OP, you need to study up on some history to see where unregulated housing and industry got us. If knowledge were truly key, you'd have done that already.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,097,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Allow what? Informalities? Would that abolish the dress code at work?

Aha. So ... I'm thinking that some kind of zoning or code requirement caused the OP's rent to go up, and now s/he's taking it personally and wanting to stamp out all regulations.

OP, you need to study up on some history to see where unregulated housing and industry got us. If knowledge were truly key, you'd have done that already.
Nobody is suggesting laissez faire development, but it wouldn't hurt to cut some existing red tape. Urbanists from both, left and right, have been calling on DC to recall its height restrictions. Housing is becoming more and more expensive in DC. If you end height restrictions, you could help lower the cost burden of housing in the district.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:37 PM

2,941 posts, read 3,863,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Nobody is suggesting laissez faire development, but it wouldn't hurt to cut some existing red tape. Urbanists from both, left and right, have been calling on DC to recall its height restrictions. Housing is becoming more and more expensive in DC. If you end height restrictions, you could help lower the cost burden of housing in the district.
Housing becomes expensive when there is lots of demand for it period. Getting rid of the hieght restriction is bad for ascetic reasons(who want's the most politically important buildings in the country lorded over by sky scrappers) and not likely to make the housing any cheaper. Sure you will increase the number of units, but unless that increase in the number of units outstrips demand prices won't fall and new housing units tend to be the most expensive units of all in the housing market.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Housing becomes expensive when there is lots of demand for it period. Getting rid of the hieght restriction is bad for ascetic reasons(who want's the most politically important buildings in the country lorded over by sky scrappers) and not likely to make the housing any cheaper. Sure you will increase the number of units, but unless that increase in the number of units outstrips demand prices won't fall and new housing units tend to be the most expensive units of all in the housing market.

What's you solution then?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 PM

8,328 posts, read 14,574,087 times
How about smaller minimum unit sizes? Reduced parking minimums? Shared housing alternatives to reduce the physical footprint of housing, to make it more affordable by design? And yes, these are other examples of "informality," the problem is, you aren't talking about "informality" in the form of the informal economy or people consciously choosing to work outside the system, you're talking about "deregulation" meaning simplification or elimination of existing rules of the system--like maximum heights, zoning restrictions, or parking minima.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
How about smaller minimum unit sizes? Reduced parking minimums? Shared housing alternatives to reduce the physical footprint of housing, to make it more affordable by design? And yes, these are other examples of "informality," the problem is, you aren't talking about "informality" in the form of the informal economy or people consciously choosing to work outside the system, you're talking about "deregulation" meaning simplification or elimination of existing rules of the system--like maximum heights, zoning restrictions, or parking minima.
It's still tied to informality because informal housing and economy evades regulations. I'm gonna take a read of this book, and I'll come back and comment about what's being argued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or