U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:15 PM

6,932 posts, read 8,086,226 times

Advertisements

Apparently, there's emerging research on this topic. I find it the subject rather interesting. Being a NYC native, I recall seeing it daily. I would say the majority of street vendors in Brooklyn in the 90s were non-licensed. Even today, there's growing informal housing.

What are some examples you've seen or heard that takes place in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 AM

8,328 posts, read 14,558,119 times
Perhaps you could tell us more about what this "informality" means? People in casual dress instead of formalwear? Using slang words instead of formal speech? And what research are you referring to?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Perhaps you could tell us more about what this "informality" means? People in casual dress instead of formalwear? Using slang words instead of formal speech? And what research are you referring to?
You could start here.

The Informal American City | The MIT Press

Old 10-19-2014, 10:22 AM

I could--but it's your thread. What do you think about "informality"?

Old 10-19-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
I could--but it's your thread. What do you think about "informality"?
I think cities should allow them. Not all housing and commerce should have to be permitted. Zoning and regulations often cause rent hikes. Not that all regulations are bad.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 AM

86,992 posts, read 102,554,590 times
"They" say people in Denver/Boulder dress like slobs.

Old 10-19-2014, 01:13 PM

2,880 posts, read 4,615,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I think cities should allow them. Not all housing and commerce should have to be permitted. Zoning and regulations often cause rent hikes. Not that all regulations are bad.
Spontaneous economies just happen in big cities. I guess the OP is about where it flourishes more? Because as soon as it's noticed it's codified; that is, formalized, and that's the conundrum of the suggestion. There's massive amounts of unpermitted entrepreneurship everywhere that's impossible to measure because it's necessarily underground.

Near my house there's an informal taco stand. Everyone around knows that's where the best salsas are found. They'd be shut down if anyone piped up about it, having myself had dealings with the departments of Environmental Health, Public Health, USDA Marketing Services, etc. That's just from the perspective of oversight. Then there's revenue and tax issues, a whole other set of regulatory hurdles.

Now, taxation is knee-jerk issue that I have contended with myself. But to offer that side of the story, take Air BnB. The hospitality industry wants them taxed like any hotel. Why? Because that industry pays its taxes like a civic partner, helping a city attract those visitors with its guarantee of quality accommodations. Should unregulated businesses capitalize on its market without paying their share into it?

Nevermind the intimacies of the food industry. I've come to realize code, as incredibly burdensome as it is, is generally there for a reason, even when the reason isn't transparent. The best any local government can do is streamline the process for residents, incorporating services to also navigate the county, state and federal regulatory environments. There are incredible inequities still, but how do you address them if you don't approach them at all?

Old 10-19-2014, 04:04 PM

756 posts, read 623,189 times
Exclamation I Hate Formality:

I Hate Formal Attire.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,951,901 times
Quote:
I think that's an absolutely horrendous plan and ground zero for future lawsuits. Businesses and housing are regulated primarily due to health and hazard concerns. We've seen what happens when these industries aren't regulated. Infectious diseases run rampant, criminal owners get away with stealing and hurting innocent people, buildings collapse and kill others, too cramped spaces leads to fights and chaos, etc.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Should allow what? Informality? Meaning you think men should be able to walk about without ties on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or