U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 01:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,991 posts, read 42,026,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Sometimes if you run one, or at least push the yellow, you get green on the rest. It's like a reward for doing wrong.
Yep. 4th avenue in Brooklyn (when traffic is low) more or less requires you to speed and push the yellow to get a long distance without having to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:59 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,890,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Some streets in Manhattan actually time it so if you go 30 mph you can hit almost every green light on the street you are on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLo3fJSqotw
Yeah... At 3AM with no traffic. LOL.

Old 11-05-2014, 03:11 PM

410 posts, read 390,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yeah... At 3AM with no traffic. LOL.
It's impressive that NYC can time 55 lights for a steady "green wave" like that, regardless of how many drivers are on the road. All it takes is one signal controller to have the wrong internal clock and the perfect flow is lost. Forget 55 lights though, this cabbie was able to drive 125 blocks down 1st Avenue hitting all the green lights!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf720nj0WMk

Old 11-05-2014, 03:39 PM

420 posts, read 546,869 times
I can't link images from work, but here, lol:

xkcd long light - Google Search

Old 11-05-2014, 05:08 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,188 times
I used to get from 76 up to Washington Ave on S. Broad St. in Philly on all greens (late at night) - when I did catch reds it was at Oregon or Snyder (other arterials which demanded more of their own green time).

In my experience you're most likely to catch reds because of user error - either because you're going faster than the timing allows or because other drivers are speeding from light to light, braking hard at each light and basically getting in your way.

Volume is the quickest way that the efficacy of timed signals breaks down. The slinky (wave) effect of decel/accel lingers for a long time after each signal turns green and the more traffic the more pronounced it is.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:10 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,844 posts, read 54,552,867 times
Just do like my wife's late uncle. He boasted that he never stopped at red lights and I didn't believe him until I rode with him one day. If the light ahead was red, or yellow and he was not close enough to make it, he would go slooooow as molasses, barely fast enough to register on the speedometer. By the time he arrived at the light it turned green. Noisy trick though,
with people honking at him. He ignored them, saying they were "in a hurry to stop."

Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 PM

An epic quest to never hit a red light in Manhattan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ5ZZDxjbvA#t=13

Old 11-25-2014, 08:55 AM

3,097 posts, read 3,199,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Just do like my wife's late uncle. He boasted that he never stopped at red lights and I didn't believe him until I rode with him one day. If the light ahead was red, or yellow and he was not close enough to make it, he would go slooooow as molasses, barely fast enough to register on the speedometer. By the time he arrived at the light it turned green. Noisy trick though,
with people honking at him. He ignored them, saying they were "in a hurry to stop."
Won't work around here too well. There are too many lights that use sensors to turn them green. The sensor won't realize he is creeping up until he gets in the loop then it will begin the timing cycle

Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Won't work around here too well. There are too many lights that use sensors to turn them green. The sensor won't realize he is creeping up until he gets in the loop then it will begin the timing cycle
What you are describing is really only an issue when a driver is approaching a signal from a minor-street. Drivers on the major street aren't required to pull up to the sensor to get a green light since the major street is almost always programmed as the coordinated phase with a vehicle recall set to cycle the signal regardless of detection.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:28 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,276,508 times
Here in Toronto we have a number of LONG straight streets that are major arterial roads, and they have computer controlled intersection lights. The city speed limit is 50 kilometers an hour ( 30 miles an hour ) and if you maintain a steady 50 kph, you can go for many kilometres, withall green lights as you move forward. I am talking about at any time of day or night. A city wide traffic computer system was installed many years ago, ( 1960's ) and it was updated every few years, as the city population grew, and the suburbs were more heavily populated. The 911 phone system came into being around the same time period in Toronto. Toronto has a 'advanced 911 system " , that includes automatic number and line lock, and automatic location indicator, as well.

A further note, the traffic lights at Toronto intersections all have a 4 way sensor, that reacts to the strobe lights on the Fire Department trucks, so that the emergency vehicles get a "steady green flow " as they travel to a fire or accident scene. Saves time and reduces potential intersection accidents, between Fire Police and Ambulance vehicles and private vehicles. Once the emergency vehicles have cleared an intersection the lights go back to their original mode, in about 30 seconds.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or