U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be a 3-ft law or similar for yielding to pedestrians?
Yes 8 42.11%
No 11 57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 06:14 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,078,755 times

Advertisements

Yield to pedestrian laws are too weak and difficult to enforce. Does it count as yielding if you don't hit the guy, but you came within inches and hardly slowed down at all? If I am the pedestrian, I'd say, you didn't yield and should get a ticket. If I'm the driver, I can argue, "hey, I didn't hit you, right?" If an officer observes this happen, does it depend on whether it's a slow day if the driver gets a ticket or not? Even if the driver gets a ticket, does it hold up in court?

I think we ought to have a specific criterion for what yielding to pedestrians. Similar to the 3-ft bicycle laws in many states, you may not pass within 3 feet of a pedestrian who is crossing the road or in the process of entering the crosswalk. If there is a steady stream of pedestrians, you cannot proceed unless there is a gap of at least your car width plus 6 feet. These are criterion that can hold up in court, given the widespread use of intersection cameras, dash cams, and nowadays police body cameras.

Should there be a 3-ft law for pedestrians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
I am not sure I follow what you are suggesting. Any diagrams that you could post related to this?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 PM

32,371 posts, read 59,817,368 times
How is this enforced? Three-foot curb scrapers?

Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Some states or municipalities 3 foot passing law for bicycles, don't know well it's enforced but it's there. Might mainly used to determine whether the car is "at fault" or not.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:10 AM

14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Unnecessary.

There are already laws pertaining to pedestrians in crosswalks, they're just poorly enforced. A 3-foot law would actually be laxer than the generally not enforced law, at leas there in California.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM

8,117 posts, read 9,561,313 times
If we are going to try and enforce a 3' yield around pedestrians does that mean stricter enforcement against Jay Walkers and other dangerous pedestrians? Or will this be like bicycles where they do what they want but cars must abide by the rules.......

Old 10-23-2014, 01:30 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
If we are going to try and enforce a 3' yield around pedestrians does that mean stricter enforcement against Jay Walkers and other dangerous pedestrians? Or will this be like bicycles where they do what they want but cars must abide by the rules.......
Any examples of someone in a car dying as a result of being hit by a jaywalker?

Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All I'm saying is that if I'm in a crosswalk and you pass within inches of me and hardly slow down at all, you did not yield the right of way, and there should be no ambiguity regarding whether any hypothetical ticket holds up in court. When people do properly yield, they generally do not pass within 3 feet, so this mainly just reflects everyday common practice. And a concrete number is easier to educate the public than the vague notion that you should yield (and we all know how many drivers simply don't get the difference between yield and merge...)

I would not necessarily be opposed to cyclists getting tickets for riding the wrong way or not stopping for a red light. Also for riding at night without a light. These are dangerous situations that cops should be giving citations for.

But when it comes to strictly enforcing jaywalking when there are gaps in the traffic, ok, fine, but only if you also strictly enforce driving 33 in a 30 and coming to a complete stop behind the line before turning right on red even when nobody else is near the intersection. These are all pretty harmless things that are technically illegal. But would we really want to live in that kind of police state...???

Old 10-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The same way speeding is enforced. If an officer witnesses it, he pulls you over. Often the possibility of enforcement is enough to get people to change their behavior. 3 ft is also easier to grasp than a vague notion that you should yield. I totally agree with enforcing existing laws, but some people seem to think that as long as you didn't hit the guy, you yielded, and most people who do yield stay more than 3 feet away anyways.

Camera enforcement is also possible. It would not be difficult to use existing traffic cams to identify vehicles passing too close to pedestrians and get their license tag numbers. Existing software can easily track pedestrians and vehicles and identify potential cases for further police scrutiny, much like the way red light and speeding cameras work now. If there aren't enough officers to look at all of the cameras (which is likely the case), then randomly look at different intersections each time and send warnings for the cases not scrutinized.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:20 PM

7,242 posts, read 6,464,296 times
Like texting and driving its not something that will ever be seriously enforced until accidents happen. What is a pedestrian doing that a car gets within 3 feet anyways? If they are considerate they are not walking right down the middle of a parking lot and are paying attention to whats going on around them. I suppose it might be useful for joggers though I jog on the left side of the road and will instinctively move over for traffic... I dont believe pedestrians and bikes should be grinding heavy traffic to a halt....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning