Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:37 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times

Advertisements

I'm really talking about the American legacy transit cities here excluding NYC (DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, SF). Maybe toss in Portland, LA and Seattle.

I've read some posts where people talk about taking a lane away from cars in that city or taking away two lanes from cars in this city "like they do in Europe." But given where Europe currently is in terms of mass transit compared to the US, are these recommendations really practical? Does the design and structure of American metros make some of the transit solutions we see in Europe impractical/impossible to implement on this side of the pond?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Do you mean the gap how good / useful Europe is compared to American legacy transit cities? Or how transit friendly the layout is? By ridership, there's some overlap [see graph]:

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2012/...-edition/2218/

Milan and Lyon have similar numbers to American transit-friendly cities.

Last edited by nei; 10-30-2014 at 12:43 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 11:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Here's a bus I took last December:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=3...m&z=13&start=0

The most congested section between Lombard and Misson is planned to get BRT and take a lane away from cars.

Van Ness Avenue Bus Rapid Transit | Home | San Francisco County Transportation Authority

The biggest differences I see between San Francisco and some northern European cities isn't its structure but that the surroundings areas are less transit friendly. That route is crowded enough that good transit makes sense and a car isn't particularly necessary, the advantage of a car is that buses are slow, mainly because they get stuck in traffic.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:06 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Pretty big, but.

In Europe, most trips are stilling taken with the car as it's generally the better method of getting around, but it's more like 50-65% of trips in Europe vs 85% of trips here in the US.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:33 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Do you mean the gap how good / useful Europe is compared to American legacy transit cities? Or how transit friendly the layout is?
More the former. I ask because I hear people say things like "we need to take away two of the four lanes on this street and give them to streetcars like they did on a street in Strasbourg" or "we need to close off this arterial street to cars because that's what they did in Rome." I'm wondering if the better transit networks in European cities make certain policy proposals feasible there that would be difficult if not impossible to implement here.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:19 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,093,600 times
I think it's a pretty large gap. But we obviously depend on personal transportation significantly more than European countries. Also our cities are for the most part more spaced out, and it is harder to create mass transit that reaches more people here.

I am a huge fan of creating better mass transit, but I don't think we should be striving to do what they do over seas. Instead, we should be raising the bar, and using innovation to create mass transit. Europe shouldn't be our example, but our underachieving competition.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:57 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
The gap is at least 150 km. Some European cities have transit we can barely dream of. 300 kph intercity trains, rapid transit in small cities, electrified commuter trains all over. Note one of the first points: they increased ridership by focusing on job centers rather than downtown districts. But most bureaucrats work in the downtown districts; the systems work fine for them. They have a blind spot for anyone who works elsewhere.

Last edited by pvande55; 10-31-2014 at 06:05 PM.. Reason: Add lines

Old 10-31-2014, 07:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pretty big, but.

In Europe, most trips are stilling taken with the car as it's generally the better method of getting around, but it's more like 50-65% of trips in Europe vs 85% of trips here in the US.
Notice also with little of its areas developed the Chinese are about to surpass us in super highways. I many places its often about can you afford one and can you find parking space. NY has about all they can handle between private owned and cabs.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,123,527 times
I didn't see the details about the data but I'm guessing that it's based on JTW when, at least in the US, that's only about 25% of all trips.

Point being that, without walkability, transit is worthless beyond a really expensive journey-to-work mode.

Old 11-03-2014, 11:03 AM

978 posts, read 1,088,200 times
light rail works good in the suburbs if its a long line and there isnt a lot of stops.

its way better then a bus if theres free areas to park bikes and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning