U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2014, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,070,870 times
Reputation: 12635

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
To me, the noise of the regular cars and buses isn't what would bother me. It's the noise of motorcycles and those big 16-wheel trucks.
Or trains.

I have a friend that lives in Bed Stuy about 15 feet from the elevated tracks, now that's loud. I guess you get used to it since he said he sleeps through it. I got a hotel rather than stay there a second night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2014, 06:39 PM
 
3,262 posts, read 3,002,974 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or trains.

I have a friend that lives in Bed Stuy about 15 feet from the elevated tracks, now that's loud. I guess you get used to it since he said he sleeps through it. I got a hotel rather than stay there a second night.
Braking buses and trucks are really bad, but absolutely nothing beats an elevated NYC subway for that wonderful combination of both volume and many-times-every-night consistency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2014, 04:50 PM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,265,101 times
Reputation: 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
To me, the noise of the regular cars and buses isn't what would bother me. It's the noise of motorcycles and those big 16-wheel trucks.


Besides the noise and air pollution, vehicle traffic is an eyesore to look at.
As is the clouds of black exhaust fumes produced by buses and large commercial vehicles
that mostly run on diesel fuel. Diesel vehicles are especially noisy, ugly and toxic to breathe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Reputation: 54006
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Besides the noise and air pollution, vehicle traffic is an eyesore to look at.
As is the clouds of black exhaust fumes produced by buses and large commercial vehicles
that mostly run on diesel fuel. Diesel vehicles are especially noisy, ugly and toxic to breathe.
The only place to avoid that is on some back road, with your house set back 100 yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 12:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,985 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Reputation: 14804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The only place to avoid that is on some back road, with your house set back 100 yards.
How about a residential side street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2014, 08:40 PM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,265,101 times
Reputation: 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The only place to avoid that is on some back road, with your house set back 100 yards.

Residential side street or cul de sac would do just as well.
The streets might be devoid of walkability and signs of life, but will be virtually dead quiet.

People will pay a premium to not live on a major traffic-congested street.
And pay a premium to drive a luxury car that totally insulates them from the unpleasant
deafening roar of the other vehicle traffic racing by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Planet Earth
3,853 posts, read 7,633,518 times
Reputation: 1583
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Besides the noise and air pollution, vehicle traffic is an eyesore to look at.
As is the clouds of black exhaust fumes produced by buses and large commercial vehicles
that mostly run on diesel fuel. Diesel vehicles are especially noisy, ugly and toxic to breathe.
It depends. Are you the type who likes to sit on their porch (or balcony) and just watch the world go by? Then yes, that would probably be a dealbreaker. But if you're out and about for much of the day, or even if you're in your house doing other things, it might not matter much.

A friend of the family moved from Broadway in Tribeca/Chinatown to 86th Street in Bensonhurst. Whenever we visited, always seemed quiet to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2014, 07:31 PM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,265,101 times
Reputation: 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
It depends. Are you the type who likes to sit on their porch (or balcony) and just watch the world go by? Then yes, that would probably be a dealbreaker. But if you're out and about for much of the day, or even if you're in your house doing other things, it might not matter much.

A friend of the family moved from Broadway in Tribeca/Chinatown to 86th Street in Bensonhurst. Whenever we visited, always seemed quiet to me.

The windows were probably closed. Also depends on where you're at inside the house.
In a room with open windows that are facing the street, you will hear the traffic noise.
Back of the house, with windows closed, you probably won't hear it.

I live in an apartment building facing a busy street, and there's no way you can't hear it,
with the windows open. On mild to hot days I want to keep the windows open for circulation
but have to close them after 20 minutes or so because I can't tolerate the noise level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2014, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
32,366 posts, read 59,807,408 times
Reputation: 54006
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about a residential side street?
Haha, I live on one of those. We get all kinds of traffic, commercial and otherwise. I wouldn't mind it a little more "dead".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top