Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think they were cherry picked, the point was no trees was an overgeneralization. And the northern European cities lack trees is really only true of some central areas, more or less depending on the city.

Most of the reason I reacted so much was you seemed to expect lots of greenery in a city center, I thought it was an unreasonable expectation. Particularly Germany, which has lots of greenery once you get further out. Since further out is the newer areas of a city, more likely the locals actually do like greenery, the areas full of bricks and concrete are old areas, often with little space for no greenery.
This is Kaiserslautern, Germanay, where I've lived. There were plenty of trees!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:25 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
I think it is reasonable to say many of the oldest parts of European cities have few trees along those narrow streets.... as some posted pictures that show it. Newer or suburban European areas have more green along streets. For US cities some have less green along streets if they followed a more European street grid of Row homes and housing to the sidewalk. But that is mostly the older Eastern US cities. Those of the Midwest to West coast, did not nearly as much and have city grids with front lawns or at least tree lined. I did post 2 pictures of Chicago overhead showing plenty of green? I also know how most of the city neighborhood layout, with front lawns as standard. So for most Big cities in the US there was more green frontage for those who did not follow a more European format.

Instead of seeing the other was overgeneralizing each others areas and feel they were too extreme in their comment as we sometimes see? But was not their intent.

Last edited by steeps; 12-03-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Fly over NYC then fly over London. London is way greener than NYC from the air.

"European" doesn't mean much. Athens is in Europe, it is hot and dry. Dublin is in Europe, it is green and wet. At least lets split it up into comparable rainfall areas....

Old 12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
This is Kaiserslautern, Germanay, where I've lived. There were plenty of trees!

The OP referred to trees in the city not outside. The city appears to by protected land, mostly forest. The city, especially the center doesn't appear that green, though some is mixed in but mostly behind the buildings.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Kaise...rmany&t=k&z=15

Old 12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"European" doesn't mean much. Athens is in Europe, it is hot and dry. Dublin is in Europe, it is green and wet. At least lets split it up into comparable rainfall areas....
Yea, I don't see that much point in grouping Europe as if all the cities are the same. For example, here's Córdoba, Spain. Looks nothing like that Cologne view, where the buildings got lost in the greenery going out. Mostly apartment buildings and then some townhouses to the urban edge, then lightly inhabited countryside. I was surprised how green Cologne looked in Rozenn's photos. I got the impression for a previous thread that it was like a concrete jungle.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Frankly, the op is so odd that I am not sure the person has ever left the US...

Old 12-03-2014, 11:26 AM

As I said before, often you won't really see trees from the streets as they are surrounded by building, like here for instance, also in Cordoba:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/C%...f1d2e8108456c3

Old 12-03-2014, 11:46 AM

Just took a loot at the oh so green Pittsburgh. it is the same as with Kaiserslautern, there are hardly any trees downtown, it is a concrete jungle, most trees are in a couple of parks and on the hills surrounding the inner city.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't share your view at all. There are not many trees in US cities, either, only in suburbs, not downtown, where like in Europe maybe you have a little park and a couple of - planted - trees lining some streets.
Actually I think even US suburbs have surprisingly few trees given there is so much space. Often there is just a lot of empty lawn and a lot of concrete for streets and driveways.

In my city there are little squares all over the city, and all of them have trees, planted ones, yes. What is wrong about planted trees, anyway? A tree is a tree, it is a living being. Actually, many of the nicest landscapes are man-made.

Often there is a connection between wealth and trees. Richer suburbs tend to have a lot more trees. Here in Europe you will often hardly see the house for all the trees surrounding it. I have seen such neighborhoods in Bremen and many other European cities.
Another difference is that in Europe the garden is often behind the house, not in front of it. So you won't even see it from the street, only from the sky.
That is true, I have been in a number of downtowns in the US that are void of trees, I am a huge supported of tree lined streets downtown. Portland does a great job with this when it comes to making sure there are trees downtown.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:07 PM

Yes, Portland is a rather environmentally progressive city, and of course the climate supports the green spirit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning