U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 04:54 PM

929 posts, read 843,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
the dual ring village is cool.

id have three rings that are 10 stories
have it be a very big circle (the size of a cities metro area).
have one road with a roof for people biking (that would be really good for a city that rains a lot)
the other road would have a street car

thats all i got so far
in the middle of the circle it would be tiny houses for homless of poor people.

there would be gardens and stuff too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 11:22 PM

642 posts, read 490,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I could never understand that about conservative states. I had a friend get a ticket for drinking in public in Virginia because he was drinking a beer in his living room by the front window that was open.

Once one is on their own property, it should no longer be considered public in this sense.
That's nothing. Here in Minnesota I personally know a guy who spent the weekend in jail and his car impounded for not painting his garage!

I also know of an elderly widow, who was evicted from her home and the city took it over using Imminent Domain simply because she had a crack in her walkway and couldn't afford to fix it.

Also, if you're White, you have to cut your grass and shovel your snow or get fined, but if you're Black or Hispanic, you're exempt from those rules. (In Minneapolis, only).

Old 12-06-2014, 12:03 AM

929 posts, read 843,548 times
in oregon i see people drinking on the porch and smoking weed in public and nothing happens

Old 12-06-2014, 05:32 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,143,862 times
Quote:
I could never understand that about conservative states. I had a friend get a ticket for drinking in public in Virginia because he was drinking a beer in his living room by the front window that was open.

Once one is on their own property, it should no longer be considered public in this sense.
One should be able to sit on their porch, driveway or lawn and enjoy a beer or drink without restriction. If they act indecently or dangerously to people passing by on the street or sidewalk then that is another issue and the facts should be examined and consequences issued if they were proven to be in violation of the law.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,143,862 times
I think there is a case for reclaiming/rebuilding some of our small rural cities and towns to become more self-sustaining local economies. These communities could be attractive to those looking to promote locally-made goods, services that quality social experience, and food that is locally sourced. Whether a city/town charter could be written to ensure that big box stores and large chains do not undermine the mission of the city to be self-sustaining is another issue.

A clean slate project could be accomplished by a rich philanthropist or group of socially-conscious investors who chose to create a rent-based community where the owner controls all the assets. In that case, participation would be purely voluntary less likely to create conflict with property owners with different views and personal interests.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,463,499 times
Just my opinion no ridicules comment please . I'm no architect.
I was impressed with a lot of Chicago housing when I lived there. I especially loved the neighborhoods with Tudor-bungalow styles. Chicago has a standard lot size of 25'x125'. Adequate giving homes nice front lawns. Alleys in back and most chose a garage which resulted in a smaller yard. The standard lot predated the automobile. So garages were not original to be there? But virtually all added one or built the home with one.
So this is what style I'd choose like this real neighborhood keep the frontage the same widen the lot and length in back. Perhaps accessing the garage from a side front driveway as the last spurt of the city went with instead of alleys? And nice landscaping These examples keep a limited landscaping simple.

Tudor-bungalows (Gingerbread homes I call them) some were more elaborate but at random I found these examples⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9397...Jq8_onEd2Q!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9415...nDUxVxh5_w!2e0

Old 12-11-2014, 11:53 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,708,360 times
A diverse town full of low income, medium income and rich people.... a dense central core with a typical "Main street USA" feel... however the actual main street will be a pedestrian plaza.

There will be a main freeway to the south of town but won't cut through the dense central part, along that freeway will be the big box stores, spread out single family homes.

Trailer parks, Apartment buildings, Low income housing and Section 8 will be scattered all around the city.
(don't want to segregate the low income population)

Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 AM

1,998 posts, read 2,931,684 times
Quote:

The states where people talk the most about "freedom" are often some of the least free.

Old 12-11-2014, 02:38 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,463,499 times
Quote:

That is ridicules.... glad in small town PA I can openly drink a beer on my front porch in just my boxers LOL. In summer of course in the evening and I'm right by the downtown and police can cruise by and I know I am fine on my property.
I wouldn't do during the daytime or if kids were around.

Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM

13,732 posts, read 9,841,195 times
Quote:
the dual ring village is cool.
id have three rings that are 10 stories
That's an option. But the higher the buildings, the wider the ring streets need to be for natural illumination.

FWIW - 5 stories is a good limit if you have no elevators, or expect power outages that would stop elevators.

Quote:
have it be a very big circle (the size of a cities metro area).
Actually, many smaller dual ring villages outperforms one big circle.
> multiple walls insure that a single breach is not a catastrophe (flood, mudslide, storm surge, etc)
> the lower ring village population makes it easier for socializing (See : Dunbar's number) 150 to 250 is a good target.
> smaller central park is easier to manage
> hexagonal array of clustered DRVs make a fault tolerant road network, with intrinsic speed regulation (meandering curves)

Quote:
have one road with a roof for people biking (that would be really good for a city that rains a lot)
the other road would have a street car
If you build stacked balconies, there will be covered walkways / bikeways around all rings.

A internal circular track for a streetcar might be underutilized.
A 320' radius outer ring has a circumference of 2,010 ft. (0.38 mile).
Takes about six minutes to walk around it at 4 MPH.
A 270' radius inner ring has a circumference of 1,696 ft. (0.32 mile).
Takes about five minutes to walk around it at 4 MPH.
(Of course, the "farthest" one would need to walk is half way - 2 1/2 minutes)

However, an outer network of streetcars would work well, since each DRV is a stop, with nothing between, and each roundabout abuts 3 DRVs.
Ditto, for a subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or