Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:03 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times

Advertisements

This has to be seen to be believed.

DECEMBER 15, 2014
Sinking soil near tunnel dig may have damaged water pipes, could cost millions | Q13 FOX News

(SEATTLE, WA) The boring machine called Bertha that was supposed to dig an underground tunnel to replace the aging double decker freeway on the surface, malfunctioned and broke last year when it ran into some underground steel water pipes that they forgot to remove. The boring machine has been stuck a hundred feet underground since December of last year.

The geniuses in charge of this operation then decided to dig a hundred foot hole to get access to the boring machine to repair it. But of course the rain in Seattle has caused the hole to flood with water. The rain combined with the water pouring out of the broken water pipes may have overwhelmed their ability to pump it out. And has also caused the buildings above the tunnel to sink at least an inch or more, causing structural damage. Worse, the state engineers seemed to have lied about this damage in their inspection reports, denying that there was any damage to the buildings. But the news reports shows otherwise, with business owners in Pioneer Square reporting cracks and other damage that weren't there before. One guy said he was afraid the ground might open up and swallow up his store. The waterfront freeway was a dumb idea to begin with, but replacing it with a hugely expensive underground tunnel was even dumber.

Background info:
http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...even-questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 06:28 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
and i thought portland waists money. crazy

Old 12-18-2014, 07:37 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Yup. Big Dig in Boston all over again. When I was living in Prague they were digging a tunnel for the billion dollar highway a park fell into the tunnel. On the upside, it was a park instead of downtown Seattle.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:44 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,996,285 times
IMHO freeways in tunnels rarely make sense. It costs an fortune and probably not easy to add exits to.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:30 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
Not for nothing, but the real urbanists in Seattle said to just get rid of the damn highway and put an at grade boulevard there.

Urban freeways are fairly idiotic ideas and a 100 years from now most of them will be gone from the urban cores.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,047 times
As a native of the Boston Metropolitan area, I'd like to thank Seattle for screwing up their Big Dig more than we did with our own.

On a side note, I do like the idea of putting downtown highways underground. As you can see from Boston's Big Dig, the city is much more beautiful now that 93 has disappeared. However, there's got to be a way they can do it better.

Old 12-18-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup. Big Dig in Boston all over again. When I was living in Prague they were digging a tunnel for the billion dollar highway a park fell into the tunnel. On the upside, it was a park instead of downtown Seattle.

Sinking street discovered near Bertha tunneling project in Seattle | Q13 FOX News

City and state transportation officials are investigating a street adjacent to the Alaskan Way Viaduct
Replacement Project in Seattle because a portion of the road is cracked and sinking.

Wow, it just gets better and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
IMHO freeways in tunnels rarely make sense. It costs an fortune and probably not easy to add exits to.

At $3.50 toll each way, I wonder who would be using this tunnel. I'm sure the Seattle city council members
could easily afford it after lining their pockets with those juicy kickbacks while enjoying their very own
personal toll road (if it ever gets finished).

Old 12-19-2014, 08:15 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Not for nothing, but the real urbanists in Seattle said to just get rid of the damn highway and put an at grade boulevard there.

Urban freeways are fairly idiotic ideas and a 100 years from now most of them will be gone from the urban cores.
This is the right idea IMO. At grade boulevards are much cheaper and more pleasant for everyone. They can also move a good amount of traffic.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
This is the right idea IMO. At grade boulevards are much cheaper and more pleasant for everyone. They can also move a good amount of traffic.

But a big wide boulevarde might not be much better than a freeway in terms of cutting off the city and the people from the waterfront. I would just pull down the double decker and build a waterfront park in its place, and scrap the tunnel idea. Why build any roads at all? Maybe a narrow road for a trolley and service vehicles but that's about it, no cars allowed. Anyone know what they're planning to do with the space occupied by the old freeway after it's torn it down?

Old 12-19-2014, 11:59 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
I got a real kick out of this one.

Quote:
“The concern is these are old; they have sunk, causing deflection of the joints,” SPU expert Gavin Patterson said.

There could be flooding issues if the pipes are not replaced. Experts say the replacement could cost millions.
Could?

Being Seattle and all there is no doubt it will cost hundreds of millions.

Being curious I looked up prevailing wage rates for King County and the lowly laborer gets $42.67/hour plus benefits while any sort of power equipment user gets $50+ per hour.

I'll betcha anything labor alone runs $15,000 plus an hour to man the job. Actually I bet it is at least double that.

A project like this never shuts down so it's a 24/7 operation costing $360,000 a day, $2.5 million a week for $131 million a year and that is just for labor on the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning