U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 09:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,989,613 times

Advertisements

Northeast is out!

60 Years of Urban Change: Northeast | The Institute for Quality Communities

Have fun sliding through! Philadelphia looks like the only city shown (might also be true of NYC, but it will be shown later) that didn't get large-scale demolision: beside one relatively narrow expressway, not much was touched. In fact a few vacant lots were redeveloped. Boston had some drastic alterations, Baltimore even more so. A number of smaller cities (Rochester, Hartford as well).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 04:45 PM

8,134 posts, read 9,573,267 times
All this bemoaning about changes over time in cities, did people bemoan the emptying of rural areas as people left the land to go live in cities??? I doubt it now the cities (in many cases) have changed as population & employment centers have shifted out of city centers and into the suburbs and with technology even beyond back to the rural areas. Some could say that the cycle has just completely gone around and they are back where they started...

Old 01-23-2015, 05:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Did you go through the maps?

Old 01-23-2015, 09:22 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,763,081 times
Providence and Albany were pretty bad, looks like Albany lost something roughly equivalent to Center Square, and Providence lost a ton all over. Philadelphia still lost a few blocks for the convention centre, and others here and there, but yeah, it wasn't too bad.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:26 AM

Sliders for western US downtowns are out:

60 Years of Urban Change: West | The Institute for Quality Communities

Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,810,735 times
For as much trashing as Raleigh seems to get here on C-D for not being urban, I am happy to see that city leaders made very good decisions back in the day that have preserved its core. I have a condo on the edge of DT Raleigh and what makes the city special is that its core bleeds seamlessly into its edge neighborhoods that date from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. While the size of the historical core of the city reflects a city of much less than 100K, not having freeways bind it allows the core to continue to expand to accommodate its growing population of residents and businesses. The amount of activity happening now in DT Raleigh is stunning for a city its size and tremendous change is being ushered in. Fortunately for the residents, much of this change is being built within the historical context instead of in spite of it.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:22 PM

9,520 posts, read 14,838,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Have fun sliding through! Philadelphia looks like the only city shown (might also be true of NYC, but it will be shown later) that didn't get large-scale demolision: beside one relatively narrow expressway, not much was touched. In fact a few vacant lots were redeveloped. Boston had some drastic alterations, Baltimore even more so. A number of smaller cities (Rochester, Hartford as well).
Two highways (I-95 N/S in the east, the Vine Street Expressway E-W near top of frame) in Philadelphia, but did you notice it also got a block wider in the lower right?

Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Two highways (I-95 N/S in the east, the Vine Street Expressway E-W near top of frame) in Philadelphia, but did you notice it also got a block wider in the lower right?
Nope. Now I did. Vine Street Expressway looks like it got squeezed neatly in its western 2/3rd but removed a bunch of blocks in its eastern third.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
The person who wrote up Denver doesn't live here. How do I know that? Well, for one thing, the road that wraps around downtown to the west, while technically is US 87/I-25, is NEVER referred to as 87, but ALWAYS referred to as I-25/The Valley (Platte River Valley) Highway.

Interstate 25 in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The route is concurrent with U.S. Highway 87 through the entire length of the state. I-25 replaced U.S. Highway 87 and most of U.S. Highway 85 for through traffic.

Historical nicknames for this route have included the Valley Highway (through Denver), Monument Valley Highway (through Colorado Springs), and the Pueblo Freeway (through Pueblo). Within El Paso County, the route has been dedicated as the Ronald Reagan Highway.[2][3] In Pueblo County, the route is called John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway."

Also, I believe this statement is a bit of hyperbole: "This area included the working-class Auraria neighborhood, which was destroyed in the 1970s and is now the site of the University of Colorado Denver campus."

Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The person who wrote up Denver doesn't live here. How do I know that? Well, for one thing, the road that wraps around downtown to the west, while technically is US 87/I-25, is NEVER referred to as 87, but ALWAYS referred to as I-25/The Valley (Platte River Valley) Highway.
I doubt the writer does, its's from the University of Oklahoma. I have a habit of referring to highways by the numbers. I got into an argument with a local he told me "no one calls it by that"; my response: "its still an official number for it, so its a name, too!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning