U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 12:29 PM

87,098 posts, read 102,857,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I doubt the writer does, its's from the University of Oklahoma. I have a habit of referring to highways by the numbers. I got into an argument with a local he told me "no one calls it by that"; my response: "its still an official number for it, so its a name, too!"
Even looking at a map, it's clear it's I-25. Some maps don't even identify it as US87. The highway signs don't identify it as such. I didn't even know that until a year or so ago, from posting on CD. When I say NO ONE calls it US87, I mean NO ONE.
https://www.google.com/search?q=i-25...ml%3B300%3B300
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:34 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,201,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
The person who wrote up Denver doesn't live here. How do I know that? Well, for one thing, the road that wraps around downtown to the west, while technically is US 87/I-25, is NEVER referred to as 87, but ALWAYS referred to as I-25/The Valley (Platte River Valley) Highway.

Interstate 25 in Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"The route is concurrent with U.S. Highway 87 through the entire length of the state. I-25 replaced U.S. Highway 87 and most of U.S. Highway 85 for through traffic.

Historical nicknames for this route have included the Valley Highway (through Denver), Monument Valley Highway (through Colorado Springs), and the Pueblo Freeway (through Pueblo). Within El Paso County, the route has been dedicated as the Ronald Reagan Highway.[2][3] In Pueblo County, the route is called John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway."

Also, I believe this statement is a bit of hyperbole: "This area included the working-class Auraria neighborhood, which was destroyed in the 1970s and is now the site of the University of Colorado Denver campus."

Neither of these are inaccurate.

The Denver photo/slide is labeled: "the 1953 image of Denver shows the beginning of construction of US 87" In 1953 it was US 87 and Interstate 25 had not been mapped or named yet.

Prior to the Auraria campus expansion, there were approximately 25 square blocks of single family homes between Colfax and the Tivoli Brewery. All that is left is a church and about 12 homes. How is that "hyperbole"?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:55 PM

87,098 posts, read 102,857,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Neither of these are inaccurate.

The Denver photo/slide is labeled: "the 1953 image of Denver shows the beginning of construction of US 87" In 1953 it was US 87 and Interstate 25 had not been mapped or named yet.

Prior to the Auraria campus expansion, there were approximately 25 square blocks of single family homes between Colfax and the Tivoli Brewery. All that is left is a church and about 12 homes. How is that "hyperbole"?
From the Wiki article: "The cities of Denver (in 1948) and Pueblo (in 1949) were first to begin building multi-lane highway segments along the route of what would eventually become Interstate 25. Construction follows an earlier segment of the Colorado and Southern Railway. Denver's segment was originally known as the Valley Highway and was completed by 1958."

Here's another article:
Steele Street Bridge: History
"I-25 in Denver can trace its roots to 1938, when the Denver Department of Parks and Improvements proposed a Platte River artery. No action was taken, but that set the stage for Denver to build two short sections of highway on the east bank of the Platte River in 1939-'40 with WPA labor."

Seriously, now, Eddyline, have YOU ever heard it referred to as "Highway 87"? Tell the truth. I've been here 35 years, and I haven't. In the early days of my residence here, some people still referred to it as "The Valley Highway" or just "The Valley". I haven't even heard that for at least 20 years; they don't refer to the road as anything other than I-25 on TV or radio, either.

"Destroyed" is hyperbole. Agenda-driven.

Old 03-15-2015, 03:49 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,201,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Seriously, now, Eddyline, have YOU ever heard it referred to as "Highway 87"? Tell the truth. I've been here 35 years, and I haven't. In the early days of my residence here, some people still referred to it as "The Valley Highway" or just "The Valley". I haven't even heard that for at least 20 years; they don't refer to the road as anything other than I-25 on TV or radio, either.

"Destroyed" is hyperbole. Agenda-driven.

I was not here in 1953, but I'm sure it was not called I-25 then.

Twenty five square blocks of homes gone!
Destroyed is not an overstatement.
Especially to the families that lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning