U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,349,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Your grand kids and great grand kids will be the beneficiaries of these efforts. Best to get started on them right away.
The case for tearing down urban freeways - Vox
Highways to Boulevards | Congress for the New Urbanism

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.

The urban freeways build 60 years ago are reaching the end of their design life. As the crumbling infrastructure has to be dealt with, its now time to get rid of these monstrosities and get back to building cities.

Highway planning departments recognize that as soon as roadways experience gridlocks or significant delays employers look elsewhere to locate facilities.

One of the cultural shocks for new immigrants is that they need a vehicle to get around almost anywhere.

So where they used to live, they didn't.

Will telecommuting (use of computers from home) eliminate brick and mortar businesses, governmental facilities, public libraries, etc. ? And the need for new highway construction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:07 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
Highway planning departments recognize that as soon as roadways experience gridlocks or significant delays employers look elsewhere to locate facilities.

One of the cultural shocks for new immigrants is that they need a vehicle to get around almost anywhere.

So where they used to live, they didn't.

Will telecommuting (use of computers from home) eliminate brick and mortar businesses, governmental facilities, public libraries, etc. ? And the need for new highway construction?
That is such a shame that we have turned this country into a country almost completely dependent on cars. Only a few cities have tried to reverse that by making alternative modes of transportation more realistic.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:54 AM

259 posts, read 309,281 times
Freeways are necessary, PERIOD. End of the discussion. Anyone with two brain cells doesn't want to go back to hitting stoplights every second. Absurd thread. This is a liberal fantasy, trying to force people on other methods of their own liking. CONTROLLING. Exactly what liberalism is. Control what car you can drive, and on and on...

Old 12-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Freeways are necessary, PERIOD. End of the discussion. Anyone with two brain cells doesn't want to go back to hitting stoplights every second. Absurd thread. This is a liberal fantasy, trying to force people on other methods of their own liking. CONTROLLING. Exactly what liberalism is. Control what car you can drive, and on and on...
Not all freeways are needed, that is the discussion. I have given an example of an urban freeway being removed because it was obsolete. If all freeways were necessary, it would have never been removed.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:19 PM

259 posts, read 309,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Not all freeways are needed, that is the discussion. I have given an example of an urban freeway being removed because it was obsolete. If all freeways were necessary, it would have never been removed.
Keep living in your fantasy world. They are not going away unless they are replaced with a better freeway.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:30 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,717,097 times
Quote:
Keep living in your fantasy world. They are not going away unless they are replaced with a better freeway.
Already happening:

Portland
Chattanooga
Milwaukee
Boston
San Francisco
Paris
Vancouver and
Seoul

have all had successful urban freeway removals of one kind or another. Montreal is latest city to get on board.

There are currently active campaigns for freeway removal going on in:

New Orleans
Dallas
Buffalo
St. Louis
Seattle
Niagara Falls
Hartford
Toronto
Long Beach
Rochester
Syracuse
Denver
Miami
Austin
Somerville
New Haven
Detroit
South Bronx

BTW - this is just getting going. We're in the very early stages of the end-of-life design life for the early urban freeways. This is going to pick up a lot of steam over the next 25 years. Each city that successfully does this will inspire others to do likewise.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Who said anything about removing all freeways? If a freeway becomes obsolete, I am all for its removal. Why keep a useless freeway?

Old 12-27-2014, 03:01 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,426,267 times
Quote:
Who said anything about removing all freeways? If a freeway becomes obsolete, I am all for its removal. Why keep a useless freeway?
True enough, but very few freeways become obsolete- most have more than sufficient traffic. In the rare situation that a freeway can't maintain enough patronage to justify its upkeep, sure get rid of it.

I haven't seen this happen around here, at least not yet.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:36 PM

4,278 posts, read 2,097,991 times
Quote:
get rid of these monstrosities and get back to building cities.
Cut and cap IH-35! I am all for it. YES YES YES!

I live on 17th Street, east of the freeway, and work at the Capitol. I have to cross IH-35 daily, both ways. Sometimes I walk, sometimes I ride a bike. The only crossings that don't completely terrify me are 11th Street and 12th Street, which are overpasses. They are high up, with a good vantage point, and they aren't near an exit ramp. Also, no shady street people laying around in a puddle of pee and beer, a bonus for an old lady walking alone.

MLK Blvd. (overpass) and 15th Street (underpass) are both sketchy as hell. MLK is very wide and full of speeding cars.

At 15th Street, on the east feeder road there's an exit ramp that shoots out right into the crosswalk. Also there's no crosswalk light. On the west feeder road there's an entrance ramp. People run red lights there. A LOT.

I also VERY frequently cross at 6th Street, 4th Street, Cesar Chavez, and Holly, as well as Manor Road, 32nd Street, and 38 1/2 Street.

I have more experience making these crossings (on foot or bike) than just about anyone I know. And I will attest to the fact that it is a MAJOR barrier. I never see more than one or two other people attempting it, because it is, at best, extremely unpleasant.

It's the only time I wish I had a car again. JUST TO CROSS THE DANG FREEWAY.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:20 PM

9,344 posts, read 4,289,389 times
Quote:
What makes you think that the opinions of the suburbs matter when it comes to the development of the urban areas? Those that live in the suburbs shouldn't be the ones trying to tell the urban areas how their area should function and develop.

I know here in Portland the city focuses on who actually live in the city rather than destroying inner neighborhoods to provide more highways to those that don't live in the city.
Simple, there is a huge tax base in the suburbs, and many affluent areas are paying for the urban blight associated with many cities. Despite the greater taxes being paid, emergency services such as police, fire, paramedics, etc., are disproportionally being used by the higher crime areas. That is why it is becoming more common for suburbs to incorporate as separate cities, to keep their tax dollars within their own borders. If urban areas think they can survive with their limited tax base and ignore the suburbs, they are sadly mistaken.

Quote:
Ok. . .kinda bizarre to be talking about urban blight since we're well past that era now. . .nevertheless - none of that has anything to do with the problems presented by urban freeways.
Maybe you are familiar with different cites than I am, but the large ones I frequent(LA, Miami, etc.) all have areas of urban blight.

As to the problems of freeways, it has been a known fact for many decades that highways put right through the middle of neighborhoods has had a devastating effect. Yet, they are not going away anytime soon, certainly not in our lifetimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or