U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 11:13 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Simple, there is a huge tax base in the suburbs, and many affluent areas are paying for the urban blight associated with many cities. Despite the greater taxes being paid, emergency services such as police, fire, paramedics, etc., are disproportionally being used by the higher crime areas. That is why it is becoming more common for suburbs to incorporate as separate cities, to keep their tax dollars within their own borders. If urban areas think they can survive with their limited tax base and ignore the suburbs, they are sadly mistaken.
if I am not mistaken, at least where I have lived, taxes for the city and taxes for the suburb towns were two different things and didn't go to one or the other. The blight in some urban cities is due to the low tax base therefore meaning the city has less money. Though there are some services that can be provided at a county level, so maybe that is what you are referring to, but even that would only affect those suburb towns in that specific county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM

9,398 posts, read 4,308,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
if I am not mistaken, at least where I have lived, taxes for the city and taxes for the suburb towns were two different things and didn't go to one or the other. The blight in some urban cities is due to the low tax base therefore meaning the city has less money. Though there are some services that can be provided at a county level, so maybe that is what you are referring to, but even that would only affect those suburb towns in that specific county.
To a certain extent you do understand my point. Yes some cities have their own limited tax base, but in other instances what is thought of as the city of XYZ, is really the entire county. Miami-Dade county is a perfect example. The city of Miami which is pretty small comparatively, has it's own tax base along with some slums. However what most people would consider Miami is much larger. For instance the city of Miami has 400k, but Miami-Dade county is 2.6 million.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,590,013 times
Quote:
To a certain extent you do understand my point. Yes some cities have their own limited tax base, but in other instances what is thought of as the city of XYZ, is really the entire county. Miami-Dade county is a perfect example. The city of Miami which is pretty small comparatively, has it's own tax base along with some slums. However what most people would consider Miami is much larger. For instance the city of Miami has 400k, but Miami-Dade county is 2.6 million.
Most American cities have what is called a metro that is more than just a city. That doesn't mean the taxes in one suburban town go to the city that it is next to.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:27 AM

5,802 posts, read 5,474,710 times
Urban planners tend to go well overboard in thei vision of car-free cities, since even cities with world-class public transit systems still have traffic jams and owning a car in most of them is a must for something as mundane as going grocery shopping.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:02 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,723,128 times
Quote:
Simple, there is a huge tax base in the suburbs, and many affluent areas are paying for the urban blight associated with many cities. Despite the greater taxes being paid, emergency services such as police, fire, paramedics, etc., are disproportionally being used by the higher crime areas. That is why it is becoming more common for suburbs to incorporate as separate cities, to keep their tax dollars within their own borders. If urban areas think they can survive with their limited tax base and ignore the suburbs, they are sadly mistaken.
Not sure where you get this information. I would LOVE to see supporting documentation as every study I've ever seen shows that the suburbs generally operate a huge losses and are heavily subsidized by the core cities.

Old 12-28-2014, 07:12 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,290,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Not sure where you get this information. I would LOVE to see supporting documentation as every study I've ever seen shows that the suburbs generally operate a huge losses and are heavily subsidized by the core cities.
How about Detroit and the suburbs surrounding Detroit. Yea, some of the suburbs that are located close to Detroit are hurting, but not as bad as Detroit. But there is no way that Detroit is helping those suburbs. And some of those small suburban cities, like Ferndale, have turned around and are quite staple now.

Detroit, as you probably know is bankrupt and the state has helped to bail them out again with a large payment to their employees retirement fund.

I would love to see the supporting documentation that you have showing core cities are supporting surrounding cities.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:01 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,773,808 times
Quote:
Your grand kids and great grand kids will be the beneficiaries of these efforts. Best to get started on them right away.
The case for tearing down urban freeways - Vox
Highways to Boulevards | Congress for the New Urbanism

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is today.

The urban freeways build 60 years ago are reaching the end of their design life. As the crumbling infrastructure has to be dealt with, its now time to get rid of these monstrosities and get back to building cities.
Dumbest idea I've ever heard of.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:03 AM

4,396 posts, read 2,130,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Dumbest? Really? Elaborate, please.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:32 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,723,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I agreed! The urban freeways were the worst. idea. ever. Let's get rid of them.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 2,773,808 times
Quote:
I agreed! The urban freeways were the worst. idea. ever. Let's get rid of them.
No I meant tearing them down is a horrible idea. How are people supposed to get into/out of the city. You'd completely gridlock every city doing that and make transportation of goods a nightmare. AWFUL idea.
We are a car based society. These nuts that are proposing stuff like this are ANTI-AUTOMOBILE. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or