U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:48 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times

Advertisements

I don't know anything about Austin, but I do know that Portland plans to one day cap the 405 through downtown. Though that probably won't be happening any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 12:48 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,080,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I fully endorse the efforts to cut and cap I-35 through Central Austin. For a modest price there would be an amazing return to the connectivity of our downtown and between east and west Austin.
Komeht,

How do you propose to "connect" East & West Austin, especially since you want to reduce the amount of freeway space of which Austin already has a severe shortage?

Also, what on God's green earth makes you think West Austin would want to be connected to East Austin?

Old 12-24-2014, 01:24 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,713,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Komeht,

How do you propose to "connect" East & West Austin, especially since you want to reduce the amount of freeway space of which Austin already has a severe shortage?

Also, what on God's green earth makes you think West Austin would want to be connected to East Austin?
cutting and capping I-35 would be an excellent start to connecting east and west Austin. You can do this without reducing any lane miles in Austin.

If you can't see a benefit to healing a physical, economic, racial, social and psychological barrier in the city then I can't really help you.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:12 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,504,059 times
Quote:
cutting and capping I-35 would be an excellent start to connecting east and west Austin. You can do this without reducing any lane miles in Austin.

If you can't see a benefit to healing a physical, economic, racial, social and psychological barrier in the city then I can't really help you.
The interstate in Austin would be a much bigger and costlier project compared to Portland. The 405 in Portland is already underground, it just needs caps built. The I-35 is mostly elevated and would require a complete reconstruction below grade in order to cap it. In the current state of that interstate it is a pretty small one. I think the only way you would have much of a case for tearing it down and building a new one below grade to be covered is if it were to expand the number of lanes available.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:43 AM

2,824 posts, read 3,347,681 times
Quote:
As an aside - it's really tiresome having to correct everything you say:
"Stakeholder schmakeholder.
Austin doesn't have near the influence you would like."
Austin does have influence because TxDOT needs funding and Austin will bring money to the table.
Sure - just like it did for "rail". Don't think so - especially with broader based representation on the council.

Quote:
"Perhaps even more importantly the city council is no longer representative of only the downtown contingent."
This is true- but doesn't mean Austin shouldn't be fighting for what is right.
What's "right" is not wasting taxpayer dollars on complete boondoggles

Quote:
"No more than any street is a "barrier" to cross."

That's just nonsense - not sure how you can't see a grade separated freeway as being the same a street: This is 5th and I-35.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2650...lUdIVDfi5g!2e0
Yeah it's really not a difficult thing to navigate. Try the next block, or the next, or the next.
Here's 6th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2658...VArlcU0KVw!2e0

7th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2668...K5mwCxt0gw!2e0

8th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2677...NdoWU6HFkw!2e0

Your complaint boils down to your expectation that there should be an underpass for every block. Pretty unreasonable expectation - and quite unnecessary.

Quote:
Now 5th at Lamar:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2703...WaBNFcpzyA!2e0

See how one's a barrier and the other an intersection?
You could say the same about a road that terminates in a cul-de-sac or that otherwise just ends. Silly. With respect to I-35 just go up one block from your 5th street complaint and you don't have to actually cross I-35 in the plane of traffic. They have a technology called underpasses which let you avoid having to wait on or to disrupt I-35 traffic and vice-versa.
Quote:
"It isn't divided and your "connecting" argument starts off with the presumption of a division."
See above.
Yeah, see above and either turn one, two, or three blocks earlier or drive one, two, or three blocks further. Big whoop.

Quote:
"Your "core" argument is silly and discriminatory. The "core" doesn't deserve any special treatment."
The core functions very differently from the auto dependent suburbs.
Underpasses, road crossings, & intersections work the same throughout the city.

Quote:
"I suppose you want to eliminate Hwy 71 because it "divides" north southeast Austin from south southeast Austin?"
Highway 71 goes through a an already auto dependent area of the city. Not much can be done there to fix it.
"Or would you prefer recognizing a division of south south Austin from north south Austin?"
It is a barrier between the two and in an ideal world would go away. But that area of town is already 100% auto dependent and unlike the core won't be helped much by burying the freeway - you'd have to do a lot more densification, mixing of uses before you can talk about burying the freeway.
So "healing" and "connecting" are really just pablum for some other agenda?

Old 12-24-2014, 07:08 AM

"Sure - just like it did for "rail". Don't think so - especially with broader based representation on the council."

Non sequitur - you're going off the rail so to speak.

"What's "right" is not wasting taxpayer dollars on complete boondoggles"

Disagree with your premise - so. . .

"Yeah it's really not a difficult thing to navigate. Try the next block, or the next, or the next.
Here's 6th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2658...VArlcU0KVw!2e0

7th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2668...K5mwCxt0gw!2e0

8th and I-35
https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2677...NdoWU6HFkw!2e0"

Yeah, ok - if you say so sport. East Avenue (prior to I-35) use to have 19 direct crossings between 1 and 19th. Today I-35 in the same place (Caesar Chavez to MLK) has 7 direct crossings. And those 7/19 crossings are over or under an incredibly wide and very noisy and polluting freeway. I rest my case that I-35 is a barrier.

"Your complaint boils down to your expectation that there should be an underpass for every block. Pretty unreasonable expectation - and quite unnecessary."

See above.

"You could say the same about a road that terminates in a cul-de-sac or that otherwise just ends."

I would say that about a road that terminates in a cul de sac or that otherwise just ends.

"Silly."

No. Accurate.

"With respect to I-35 just go up one block from your 5th street complaint and you don't have to actually cross I-35 in the plane of traffic. They have a technology called underpasses which let you avoid having to wait on or to disrupt I-35 traffic and vice-versa."

See above.

"Yeah, see above and either turn one, two, or three blocks earlier or drive one, two, or three blocks further. Big whoop."

See above.

"Underpasses, road crossings, & intersections work the same throughout the city."

No, they really don't.

"So "healing" and "connecting" are really just pablum for some other agenda?"

No, that is the agenda. Connectivity, walkability, vibrancy - it's all part of this evil plot to make our cities better places.

Not sure why you care though? You hate cities, don't live in a city, spend all your time thinking about why you hate cities and don't live in a city? And you've certainly demonstrated that you don't understand the first thing about cities. So. . .ok. Live in your suburban wasteland then and leave us alone? Why is that so hard? What difference does it make to you what we do to the urban core - a place you can't stand regardless? Believe me, I have zero interest in trying to reform or change suburbs - there's absolutely no point, they're a total loss - so go ahead, no one's coming for you.

Last edited by Komeht; 12-24-2014 at 07:17 AM..

Old 12-24-2014, 07:22 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,616,003 times
IC deLight, you're just wasting your time. This guy is obviously some delusional hippie who really has no concept of time or space, and therefore has no clue how things work in the real world. I checked out that first link with the "barrier" and laughed when I found an underpass that was maybe 300 feet to the north. It was at that point that I understood that I can't take a single thing he says seriously. When someone believes that a strip of asphalt is separating two separate entities, they have larger issues at hand that need to be addressed with themselves.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
IC deLight, you're just wasting your time. This guy is obviously some delusional hippie who really has no concept of time or space, and therefore has no clue how things work in the real world. I checked out that first link with the "barrier" and laughed when I found an underpass that was maybe 300 feet to the north. It was at that point that I understood that I can't take a single thing he says seriously. When someone believes that a strip of asphalt is separating two separate entities, they have larger issues at hand that need to be addressed with themselves.
We'll file this one away under "windshield perspectives".

Next.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
When someone believes that a strip of asphalt is separating two separate entities, they have larger issues at hand that need to be addressed with themselves.
I wouldn't call it a huge barrier, but it does create a feel of separation in a way that having no expressway wouldn't.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:19 AM

4,064 posts, read 3,093,735 times
Quote:
Actually there are underpasses nearby to both the north and south. From the OP's quoted intersection I could walk to either one of the underpasses in less than 2 minutes, not much of a 'barrier' for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or