U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 11:01 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The Grand Canyon creates a rather large barrier for north/south travel maybe we should fill it in.
I thought this was the urban planning forum - you know, where we talk about cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 01:53 PM

9,335 posts, read 4,284,874 times
There are reasons many people flee the urban areas, not the least of which is the criminal element. When people are able to work from home or in the burbs, and live far enough away from the urban blight to raise their families in peace, what makes you think they will want to change?

Old 12-24-2014, 02:17 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
There are reasons many people flee the urban areas, not the least of which is the criminal element. When people are able to work from home or in the burbs, and live far enough away from the urban blight to raise their families in peace, what makes you think they will want to change?
What makes you think that the opinions of the suburbs matter when it comes to the development of the urban areas? Those that live in the suburbs shouldn't be the ones trying to tell the urban areas how their area should function and develop.

I know here in Portland the city focuses on who actually live in the city rather than destroying inner neighborhoods to provide more highways to those that don't live in the city.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:40 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,903,542 times
Where are my flying cars I was promised as a kid?

Old 12-24-2014, 03:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,002,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What makes you think that the opinions of the suburbs matter when it comes to the development of the urban areas? Those that live in the suburbs shouldn't be the ones trying to tell the urban areas how their area should function and develop.

I know here in Portland the city focuses on who actually live in the city rather than destroying inner neighborhoods to provide more highways to those that don't live in the city.
Maybe because suburban policies substantially influence city policy on all but maybe a dozen places in the country? I love it when Portland, Bay Area, NYC etc are used as examples when 19 times out if 20, some combination of economic clout or admirably progressive ideas are responsible for their current state, neither of which is applicable to most metros stuck with a mucky political landscape or without a huge pre war legacy as one of the preeminent global commercial centers.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:33 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,715,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Ok. . .kinda bizarre to be talking about urban blight since we're well past that era now. . .nevertheless - none of that has anything to do with the problems presented by urban freeways.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
Maybe because suburban policies substantially influence city policy on all but maybe a dozen places in the country? I love it when Portland, Bay Area, NYC etc are used as examples when 19 times out if 20, some combination of economic clout or admirably progressive ideas are responsible for their current state, neither of which is applicable to most metros stuck with a mucky political landscape or without a huge pre war legacy as one of the preeminent global commercial centers.
This is also very true, I moved away from where I grew up because I lived in a suburban city that was the influence on the metro and basically had more clout than the urban city that it was next to. Unfortunately a number of American cities have long since lost this battle against the suburbs and will probably always be under the influence of the suburbs.

The most that can be done now is to protect those few urban cities we still have and have them act as a template of what should be done with urban cities trying to regain that influence they once had.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Ok. . .kinda bizarre to be talking about urban blight since we're well past that era now. . .nevertheless - none of that has anything to do with the problems presented by urban freeways.
It all depends on the urban freeway, some are good to have, some create more problems than they do good.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:56 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,002,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is also very true, I moved away from where I grew up because I lived in a suburban city that was the influence on the metro and basically had more clout than the urban city that it was next to. Unfortunately a number of American cities have long since lost this battle against the suburbs and will probably always be under the influence of the suburbs.

The most that can be done now is to protect those few urban cities we still have and have them act as a template of what should be done with urban cities trying to regain that influence they once had.
They can in limited cases be a template, but more often than not, they can't even be that in a general scale. Portland and Minneapolis have a really good political framework. NYC, Bos, the Bay Area and DC are several tiers above in terms of economic evolution. Chicago isn't quite that far up the economic food chain, but it has a tremendous legacy built environment. LA has entertainment and underrated economic diversification. You know what I want planning to focus in? Toledo. St. Louis. Memphis. San Antonio. Birmingham. Cleveland. Places like that with none if the built in advantages. At places like APA conferences and in boards like this, these places often get ignored or looked down upon. Fix them, recognizing that a Portland or DC solution isn't going to cut it.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:59 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,424,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post

The urban freeways build 60 years ago are reaching the end of their design life. As the crumbling infrastructure has to be dealt with, its now time to get rid of these monstrosities and get back to building cities.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, its a fact of life that the freeways are needed to get workers from their homes in the suburbs to their jobs in the urban core.

It would be an economic catastrophe to tear out the freeways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or