U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 12:13 AM

9,405 posts, read 4,313,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
My side of the argument aren't blaming it on race, we are blaming it on the difference between classes. We aren't in a Race War anymore, we are in a Class War. White Trash and Black Trash are the problem, also Hispanic Trash.

One thing I can say, I have NEVER seen any Asian Trash, has anybody else?
There is of course Oriental trash, and this would be acknowledged by fellow Orientals and Asians alike. Remember most people think of Asians as only Japanese, Koreans and Chinese. Yet there are many other countries/cultures in the Orient that are looked down upon comparatively.

However I do get your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 05:34 AM

8,166 posts, read 9,613,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
The cooler climate of the relatively crime-free Pacific Northwest (Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming) has made the area one of the choice destinations for those in the White flight mode. And, guess what - that's where I'm going..., because I've had enough...
Cooler climate & crime free... The reason people are migrating is because the cities of the Northwest are historically predominantly white with Asian cultures being the predominate minority. The good part is if you favor white supremacy ideology just head inland away from the coastal cities and you can find your people....

Old 12-28-2014, 07:52 AM

38,403 posts, read 15,030,549 times
As I skim this thread, it seems that most agree that as black families move into a neighborhood, everything but crime starts to go downhill. White families move out, more black families move in and the pace of decline accelerates. This doesn't seem to be as significant of a problem with Hispanic or Asian families.

Low-income certainly plays a role, particularly in that some families double or triple up in order to afford the house which means garbage, parking, noise... problems increase.

But it is the increase in crime that accompanies black families moving into a neighborhood that is of most concern.

Black families that want to live in a low crime neighborhood have a difficult time doing so once the white families start moving out.

So what's the solution here?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:34 AM

5,364 posts, read 6,018,470 times
White flight in the 50's was when whites moved to the burbs to get away from the blacks. The interstate highway system was built specifically so whites could go back and forth from their cushy jobs in the cities without having to travel through black urban neighborhoods.

White flight in 2014 is to the rapidly gentrifying certain urban areas like Harlem In NYC(usually artsy areas, near museums, nightlife, universities or downtown).

Old 12-28-2014, 08:47 AM

677 posts, read 532,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
White flight in the 50's was when whites moved to the burbs to get away from the blacks. The interstate highway system was built specifically so whites could go back and forth from their cushy jobs in the cities without having to travel through black urban neighborhoods.

Link?

Old 12-28-2014, 08:53 AM

687 posts, read 696,849 times
I'm not sure White flight was ever "a problem".
White flight was (and still is) a SOLUTION to the problems caused by black criminality.

Why ignore reality? Black criminality and violence was and still is the problem; Fleeing those problems was just a logical and rational response to it.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 AM

677 posts, read 532,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
I'm not sure White flight was ever "a problem".
White flight was (and still is) a SOLUTION to the problems caused by black criminality.

Why ignore reality? Black criminality and violence was and still is the problem; Fleeing those problems was just a logical and rational response to it.
It's only a problem for the whites who can't afford to flee.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:18 AM

38,403 posts, read 15,030,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
It's only a problem for the whites who can't afford to flee.
And for any family, regardless of racial/ethnic background, who can't afford to move but want to live in a safe neighborhood.

Often moving to the suburbs involves not only higher housing costs, but transportation as well as public transportation is spotty or nonexistent.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:52 AM

1,467 posts, read 1,214,877 times
Not here in Phoenix. The valley is about 55% white, 40% hispanic and is mixed all over. Maryvale is more hispanic then white and certain parts of north central phoenix are more white then hispanic but other than that its pretty evenly spread. There is a very small black community in south Phoenix but that is the only area that is segregated.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,120,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As I skim this thread, it seems that most agree that as black families move into a neighborhood, everything but crime starts to go downhill. White families move out, more black families move in and the pace of decline accelerates. This doesn't seem to be as significant of a problem with Hispanic or Asian families.

Low-income certainly plays a role, particularly in that some families double or triple up in order to afford the house which means garbage, parking, noise... problems increase.

But it is the increase in crime that accompanies black families moving into a neighborhood that is of most concern.

Black families that want to live in a low crime neighborhood have a difficult time doing so once the white families start moving out.

So what's the solution here?
Middle class blacks cause few quality of life issues, if the neighborhood is expensive enough that poor blacks are priced out then there's no problem. The overcrowded houses are usually from immigrant families not black ones, not always low-income though non-poor families usually won't have a run down house.

At least the NYC area has a number of middle-income mostly black areas, while there's white flight today, I suspect similar neighborhoods wouldn't be created today; there was more of a racial tinge to in the 60s and 70s. Though, like many northern cities, residential segregation is hard to undo, so these neighborhoods will probably remain for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or