U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 AM

8,117 posts, read 9,557,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
White flight in the 50's was when whites moved to the burbs to get away from the blacks. The interstate highway system was built specifically so whites could go back and forth from their cushy jobs in the cities without having to travel through black urban neighborhoods.

White flight in 2014 is to the rapidly gentrifying certain urban areas like Harlem In NYC(usually artsy areas, near museums, nightlife, universities or downtown).
I don't think President Eisenhower was thinking of daily commuters as a reason to create the Interstate Highway System...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 AM

22 posts, read 12,279 times
Serious question: How is white flight a problem?

Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I don't think President Eisenhower was thinking of daily commuters as a reason to create the Interstate Highway System...
Eisenhower thought of the interstate highways as an intercity system similar to the Autobahn. He didn't expect it would be for congested urban areas.

Eisenhower Didn’t Want Highways Through Cities

Old 12-28-2014, 10:21 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,937,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGFitness View Post
Serious question: How is white flight a problem?
Maybe middle-class flight is a problem, as it usually means the area is going downhill.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:44 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Middle class blacks cause few quality of life issues, if the neighborhood is expensive enough that poor blacks are priced out then there's no problem. The overcrowded houses are usually from immigrant families not black ones, not always low-income though non-poor families usually won't have a run down house.

At least the NYC area has a number of middle-income mostly black areas, while there's white flight today, I suspect similar neighborhoods wouldn't be created today; there was more of a racial tinge to in the 60s and 70s. Though, like many northern cities, residential segregation is hard to undo, so these neighborhoods will probably remain for a long time.
The overcrowded homes in the Minnesota town we used to live were primarily black families. Not many immigrant families moved to northern Minnesota.

It was generally a mother and several of her grown kids, their significant others and assorted children, often an auntie or two whether related or not, and various relatives. Others would move in for a time, depending on their financial situation. Relatives and friends from Chicago, Milwaukee and other assorted places would come to visit and this visit might last for years.

It was often unclear as to who was actually living there. Homelessness entitled a person a higher priority on the subsidized housing list, so many insisted they were homeless, when in fact they had lived in the home for a considerable amount of time.

Family constellation could be a fluid affair, with grandmothers raising grandchildren and even great grandchildren, sometimes nieces and nephews. Stepfathers came and went.

I worked on a Crisis Response Team and the police would often call us to go out with them on domestic disturbance and child endangerment calls. Just trying to figure out who was in the house was a challenge. People had crazy nicknames and would swear they didn't know their birth certificate names. One person might be called by different names by different people. It was so confusing.

But there were definitely a lot people piled in many of the houses.

Of course, we didn't get called into homes where things were organized and under control.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 AM
chh chh started this thread

418 posts, read 495,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
My side of the argument aren't blaming it on race, we are blaming it on the difference between classes. We aren't in a Race War anymore, we are in a Class War. White Trash and Black Trash are the problem, also Hispanic Trash.

One thing I can say, I have NEVER seen any Asian Trash, has anybody else?
I beg to differ. My city has seen an influx of lower class Burmese immigrants. While I wouldn't call them trash, they are kind of trashy. They don't have multiple families in the same house, but typically there will be a family with like 4 or 5 kids in a house.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM

38,131 posts, read 14,894,548 times
A number of black people moved to this small Minnesota town seeking services as services tightened up in Chicago, Milwaukee, etc.

When we moved there thirty years ago, you could leave your doors unlocked and go anywhere you wanted in safety. There was a low-income section of town, as this was not a prosperous community. But it was relatively safe. The newspaper struggled to find stories for the front page.

By the time we moved away, there were sections of town that were not safe to be in after dark. Police patrolled the transit station to keep groups of kids from harassing the passengers. People locked their car doors as well as their house doors. The front page of the paper had regular stories about convenience and liquor store robberies, shootings, stabbings, etc. complete with video or arrest photos of guess who.

It generally started by a woman showing up at the Crisis Shelter claiming she was on the run from an abusive partner. Once she and her kids got established with housing and all, the partner appeared and the rest of the relatives followed.

It was sad, in that they really could have had a good life they said they were searching for. But due to drugs, violence, poor choices, etc. they not only recreated the world they were trying to get away from, they created it for everyone else in town.

After the influx, it was not unusual to have high school students pull knives on one another. Girl fights in the hallway were a common occurrence.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,834,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
My side of the argument aren't blaming it on race, we are blaming it on the difference between classes. We aren't in a Race War anymore, we are in a Class War. White Trash and Black Trash are the problem, also Hispanic Trash.

One thing I can say, I have NEVER seen any Asian Trash, has anybody else?
sure, just watch "Gran Torino"

Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 AM

894 posts, read 839,337 times
It's more of a class issue than a race issue. My in-laws' nice, middle-class, racially diverse neighborhood went completely downhill as the result of one home being converted into Section 8 housing. The family who moved in consisted of a woman with six children by multiple baby daddies with a steady stream of boyfriends coming and going at all hours of the night. Soon enough there were groups of teenagers hanging out in the street vandalizing cars and music blasting at 2:00 am. My in-laws and several other families ended up moving as a result. No one wants to live near trash, it doesn't matter if they're black, white or whatever.

Old 12-28-2014, 01:46 PM

2,535 posts, read 2,025,555 times
It's not "white flight" but instead "money flight." If you replace middle/upper middle class white people with middle/upper middle class minorities, nothing will really change in the neighborhood.

What usually happens is that middle/upper middle whites leave and poor to working class minorities move in. You'd have the same issues if poor whites moved in. Throw out the ritziest whites in Beverly Hills and replace them with poor, welfare dependent whites from Appalachia. What do you think would happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or