U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 AM

677 posts, read 530,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
My guess is its happening in many places. I know Brown Deer Wi. used to be a mostly white northern suburb of Milw. Not any more.
What moved in and what's it like now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
People living their life in fear of an unknown is silly to say the least. And what do they have to be accustomed to? If the blacks make the same amount of money and work hard so that their families can have a nice life, they have a right to live wherever they choose. So the solution to these particular whites is to either make even more money and move and even then that doesn't stop any encroachment, or *****.

Again, it's mostly the whites who don't have a whole lot who worry so much, because as I said before, higher income whites don't move. If you aren't in compliance and act contrary to the area you're in, you'd better believe you'll have the cops called on you, the hoa board on your case, whatever. I've seen these actions against other white people too.
You're wrong about people "living their life in fear of an unknown ..." There's no unknown about it. The reality is people have good reason to fear their neighborhood "changing." As many have stated correctly here, including a black guy, too many blacks usually = deteriorating neighborhood and quality of life.

And "What do they have to be accustomed to?" How about a more abrasive culture for starters? Blue collar blacks and whites have different cultures ... not saying it's all bad, but they're certainly different. Same with Hispanics, Asians, etc, we're all different and some people simply feel more comfortable with their "own." It's not always about fear, hate and economics, it's usually about comfort level. And you're right - people can move where they want - and people can leave if they want.

"Higher income whites don't move"? lol I saw a show a few years back about a nice suburb of Chicago inhabited by mostly professional whites. Black professionals started moving in and sure enough, the whites moved. I remember one of the blacks saying "We move in, they move out, same as always." He wasn't happy. And, of course, the whites interviewed who had moved gave every excuse other than race as to why they moved. It was comical. The higher income whites are always the first to move - because they can.

And, of course whites "who don't have a lot" worry - they're the ones who catch hell when their neighborhood "changes." You make it sound like decent white people who aren't wealthy deserve what they get when their once safe neighborhood 'changes.'

Last edited by Better Than You; 12-30-2014 at 02:26 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 03:15 AM

38,174 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Quote:

Historically poor ethnic Whites have also participated in gang warfare.

And drug dealing, and meth making, etc

And aunt and uncle lived in Compton, CA. Moved in during the early 20's. Nice working-class with pockets of middle-class neighborhoods. People painted their houses, kept up their yards. They said it was a safe place to live.

This all started to change in the 40's and 50's. Now Compton is known for its black and Hispanic gangs, including the Bloods, the Crips and Sureños.

They moved out in the early 80's after several home invasions.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:19 AM

4,854 posts, read 2,908,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not here. Seattle is currently 70% White, 8.5% Black, 14% Asian, 7% Hispanic. In 2000 it was almost exactly the same, 70% White, 8.5 Black, 13% Asian, 5.2% Hispanic (the greatest loss but only 1.8% down). In the Detroit metro area it has more to do with the loss of jobs than race, while Seattle added 18,000 people and 15,000 new jobs in just the last year.
Seattle does not count. It is not the same as most large cities and is nothing like the east coast. I am not knocking Seattle but your "thugs" have better manners than most people living in cities on the east coast.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:28 AM

14,063 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok, though that change is so small that got rounded to 0%.

Hispanic growth is high as well as Asian growth. They're not displacing whites by having more money. Source? I remember for the Bay Area, their incomes were about the same as white income.
I don't know of any source for what you're looking at, but that's largely irrelevant. The minorities that remain in a gentrified neighborhood usually have similar incomes. That takes time of course. Many people who live in San Jose area today could not afford to buy there now.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:48 AM

14,063 posts, read 16,081,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
And drug dealing, and meth making, etc

And aunt and uncle lived in Compton, CA. Moved in during the early 20's. Nice working-class with pockets of middle-class neighborhoods. People painted their houses, kept up their yards. They said it was a safe place to live.

This all started to change in the 40's and 50's. Now Compton is known for its black and Hispanic gangs, including the Bloods, the Crips and Sureños.

They moved out in the early 80's after several home invasions.
Yeah, or Carson. The blacks moving in were wealthier than the whites they were replacing. By the '50s when blacks started moving into Compton it was already a rough, poor neighborhood. Compton had white supremacist gangs in the '40s as did most of East LA. Think American History X but 30-40 years earlier. Compton in 1950 was as white as you could possible get. There were about as much non-whites in Compton as there was meth and crack in 1950. Blacks replaced the whites, Hispanics replaced the blacks. Compton is now .8% non-Hispanic white, and basically 1/3rd black 2/3rds Hispanic.

White flight wasn't what kicked off Compton's decline. It NEVER was the leave it to beaver suburb with a new Buick and a white picket fence type of suburb, but the decline started before the blacks showed up.

Last edited by Malloric; 12-30-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 01:17 PM

10,781 posts, read 10,189,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
You're wrong about people "living their life in fear of an unknown ..." There's no unknown about it. The reality is people have good reason to fear their neighborhood "changing." As many have stated correctly here, including a black guy, too many blacks usually = deteriorating neighborhood and quality of life.

And "What do they have to be accustomed to?" How about a more abrasive culture for starters? Blue collar blacks and whites have different cultures ... not saying it's all bad, but they're certainly different. Same with Hispanics, Asians, etc, we're all different and some people simply feel more comfortable with their "own." It's not always about fear, hate and economics, it's usually about comfort level. And you're right - people can move where they want - and people can leave if they want.

"Higher income whites don't move"? lol I saw a show a few years back about a nice suburb of Chicago inhabited by mostly professional whites. Black professionals started moving in and sure enough, the whites moved. I remember one of the blacks saying "We move in, they move out, same as always." He wasn't happy. And, of course, the whites interviewed who had moved gave every excuse other than race as to why they moved. It was comical. The higher income whites are always the first to move - because they can.

And, of course whites "who don't have a lot" worry - they're the ones who catch hell when their neighborhood "changes." You make it sound like decent white people who aren't wealthy deserve what they get when their once safe neighborhood 'changes.'

No, too many low income blacks (or Hispanics, or whatever else race) can decrease the quality life. Stop pinning it on Black people. Please don't tell me that whites have a whole lot to fear from middle and upper middle classed black people. I call BS, because I live around both (as do the Whites in my neighborhood) and we don't experience any quality of life issues. Then again, I don't live in the heavily segregated northeast that masquerades as being "diverse", so...

In addition, your description of Black culture as "abrasive" clearly shows you know squat about Black culture. Black culture isn't what you see on The Wire. Black culture existed way before the gangsta rap days (read a book sometimes on African American history, but I doubt that you will) and to simplify centuries of culture as being little more than crime, thugs, rap music, and whatever is seeing only as far as the trees, not the forest. It's like saying that Italian culture is synonymous with the cosa nostra. Please. Both are blights on otherwise rich cultures.

As for feeling comfortable with "one's own", I wouldn't know what that means because I am a multiracial American who was raised in a multiethnical environment from child to adulthood. What would be "my own"? I'm glad I don't have such hangups and feel the need to live next to X group of people. My husband is Mexican-American and has never lived in a "Mexican neighborhood". We live in America. My culture is American. And if you don't believe me, then try experiencing what I experience when I visit my father's home country and am clearly an outsider.

We live where we want to live, and if some random White family chooses to throw their half mil dollar home up for sale who cares? As long as the incoming family is a good, hardworking family, that's all that matters to me. As for the example you gave in Chicago, I do agree. It's comical that people are dumb. Here, it's not like that. They aren't moving. If anything, the Whites are moving IN to traditionally diverse areas at a greater pace these days.

As for "decent white people" in the city, if you want to live completely around your own people, either move to the boonies, become wealthy, or pull guerilla tactics. Your choice. Self segregation due to fear is silly, and that goes for both blacks and whites.

And I asked you a question upthread, which you didn't answer. My husband and I have a solidly middle classed income. You'd have a problem with us moving in to your neighborhood simply because we are non-White. Because you know, due to the melanin content of my skin, by default we'd be crappy homeowners, be involved with crime, and have poorly behaved/performing kids.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:43 PM

38,174 posts, read 14,918,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yeah, or Carson. The blacks moving in were wealthier than the whites they were replacing. By the '50s when blacks started moving into Compton it was already a rough, poor neighborhood. Compton had white supremacist gangs in the '40s as did most of East LA. Think American History X but 30-40 years earlier. Compton in 1950 was as white as you could possible get. There were about as much non-whites in Compton as there was meth and crack in 1950. Blacks replaced the whites, Hispanics replaced the blacks. Compton is now .8% non-Hispanic white, and basically 1/3rd black 2/3rds Hispanic.

White flight wasn't what kicked off Compton's decline. It NEVER was the leave it to beaver suburb with a new Buick and a white picket fence type of suburb, but the decline started before the blacks showed up.
Of course, I wasn't there at the time, but according to them and according to Wikipedia, it was mostly working class with a few middle-class neighborhoods in the 20's. My aunt talks about their neighborhood having potlucks, card clubs, etc.

Not sure about he white supremacist gangs. She didn't mention them and neither does Wikipedia. But I'll take your word for it.

I do know they talked about feeling felt safe there until the '50's. By the 60's shift was underway and by the 70's they were wishing they'd moved when their neighbors. They put bars on their windows but several home invasions later, they moved.

It may have been a poor neighborhood, but it was not a rough neighborhood until the 50's and later.

At least, according to the memories of at least one couple who lived there.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
No, too many low income blacks (or Hispanics, or whatever else race) can decrease the quality life. Stop pinning it on Black people. Please don't tell me that whites have a whole lot to fear from middle and upper middle classed black people. I call BS, because I live around both (as do the Whites in my neighborhood) and we don't experience any quality of life issues. Then again, I don't live in the heavily segregated northeast that masquerades as being "diverse", so...

In addition, your description of Black culture as "abrasive" clearly shows you know squat about Black culture. Black culture isn't what you see on The Wire. Black culture existed way before the gangsta rap days (read a book sometimes on African American history, but I doubt that you will) and to simplify centuries of culture as being little more than crime, thugs, rap music, and whatever is seeing only as far as the trees, not the forest. It's like saying that Italian culture is synonymous with the cosa nostra. Please. Both are blights on otherwise rich cultures.

As for feeling comfortable with "one's own", I wouldn't know what that means because I am a multiracial American who was raised in a multiethnical environment from child to adulthood. What would be "my own"? I'm glad I don't have such hangups and feel the need to live next to X group of people. My husband is Mexican-American and has never lived in a "Mexican neighborhood". We live in America. My culture is American. And if you don't believe me, then try experiencing what I experience when I visit my father's home country and am clearly an outsider.

We live where we want to live, and if some random White family chooses to throw their half mil dollar home up for sale who cares? As long as the incoming family is a good, hardworking family, that's all that matters to me. As for the example you gave in Chicago, I do agree. It's comical that people are dumb. Here, it's not like that. They aren't moving. If anything, the Whites are moving IN to traditionally diverse areas at a greater pace these days.

As for "decent white people" in the city, if you want to live completely around your own people, either move to the boonies, become wealthy, or pull guerilla tactics. Your choice. Self segregation due to fear is silly, and that goes for both blacks and whites.

And I asked you a question upthread, which you didn't answer. My husband and I have a solidly middle classed income. You'd have a problem with us moving in to your neighborhood simply because we are non-White. Because you know, due to the melanin content of my skin, by default we'd be crappy homeowners, be involved with crime, and have poorly behaved/performing kids.
I live in Philadelphia, honey, and I go to Baltimore and New York regularly, don't tell me about black culture ... I know what I see and what I've experienced. Recognize that races have differences (for the second time - not all bad, either) ... I'm around different cultures all the time. I'm actually in an interracial relationship, I'm as special as you. Now, calm down and go have a cup of tea or something.

Last edited by Better Than You; 12-30-2014 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 04:25 PM

10,781 posts, read 10,189,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I live in Philadelphia, honey, and I go to Baltimore and New York regularly, don't tell me about black culture ... I know what I see and what I've experienced. Recognize that races have differences (for the second time - not all bad, either) ... I'm around different cultures all the time. I'm actually in an interracial relationship, I'm as special as you. Now, calm down and go have a cup of tea or something.
So what? Because you either live in or visit a few cities that means that you actually know Black culture? Now that's funny. It's like visiting LA and claiming to know Hispanic culture. You still keep dancing around my original question. Is it that hard for you to answer?

As for giving me the directive to calm down? I'm quite calm, boyo. Not sure why you would think otherwise. And of course you're in an interracial relationship...that's right on up there with having the token black/Hispanic/Asian friend, heh. By the way, your "races have differences" spiel (no DUH, I am more than one race) is just the usual sweet talk for your (again typical) thinking that "Black culture" is something abhorrent and negative. I've yet to see anything coming from you that is positive concerning "Black culture", but I have seen you mention that it is "abrasive".

People on the intarnets are funny, I tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or