U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM

677 posts, read 530,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
So what? Because you either live in or visit a few cities that means that you actually know Black culture? Now that's funny. It's like visiting LA and claiming to know Hispanic culture. You still keep dancing around my original question. Is it that hard for you to answer?

As for giving me the directive to calm down? I'm quite calm, boyo. Not sure why you would think otherwise. And of course you're in an interracial relationship...that's right on up there with having the token black/Hispanic/Asian friend, heh. By the way, your "races have differences" spiel (no DUH, I am more than one race) is just the usual sweet talk for your (again typical) thinking that "Black culture" is something abhorrent and negative. I've yet to see anything coming from you that is positive concerning "Black culture", but I have seen you mention that it is "abrasive".

People on the intarnets are funny, I tell you.
Look, leave your safe, little, vanilla suburb and get out in the real world once in awhile ... You bore me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:33 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,954,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Ok, though that change is so small that got rounded to 0%.

Hispanic growth is high as well as Asian growth. They're not displacing whites by having more money. Source? I remember for the Bay Area, their incomes were about the same as white income.
The white population of the Bay Area is aging rapidly. Asians aren't "displacing" white people - they're buying them out. A lot of white kids who grew up there can't afford it so they move inland, up to Oregon, to Denver, to the east coast, etc. (or if they're right wing they move to AZ or ID).

There was a similar phenomenon that happened in Australia (but without all of the racial accusations) in the 90s where tens of thousands of Sydneysiders sold their houses, moved up to Brisbane and the Gold Coast, and paid cash for a new place. They were chasing a quality of life. They were looking for a place that reminded them of the time and place they grew up in and they made money doing it. I wouldn't doubt that's the case for a lot of middle-class american households, regardless of race. There's a reason that people are flocking to cities like Nashville, Austin, Denver, Philly, etc. even when the job markets might not be as robust as NYC, SF, Boston, etc. - and that's because they can afford a certain lifestyle that's not possible in those larger metros.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:55 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,954,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Bay Area population dynamics are different from many other parts of the country, particularly older parts of the northern US. Parts of the Bay Area have had large decreases of white population in the last decade: Santa Clara County -16%, San Mateo County -14%, Alameda County -13%. But I suppose it doesn't count as "white flight" as the white population decrease wasn't tied to neighbors of another race moving in.

The white population of Santa Clara County went from ~905k in 2000 to ~836k in 2010. That's a decline of 8% - not 16%.

Also, a percentage decline ≠ a decline in population. A specific population subset could be increasing in number while still declining as percentage simply because the other groups are growing faster. The converse is that a population could be increasing as a percentage while still decreasing in number just because the other groups are shrinking faster (Detroit).

Old 12-31-2014, 10:21 AM

38,146 posts, read 14,902,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Look, leave your safe, little, vanilla suburb and get out in the real world once in awhile
Though this was not in response to anything I've posted, but I have been out in the world a bit over the years and much of it has not been in vanilla suburbs.

Here's what I recall.

If a Native American family lives next door, there are likely to be a lot of people coming and going. They will do anything for friends and family. Heck, even total strangers are welcome to sit down for a meal. A death in the family is a week long camp out. Literally, people will be sleeping on the lawn. Lots of older cars. Not a lot of attention to landscaping. Garbage bags and bins of things stacked around. Often issues with alcoholism and domestic violence. Fun neighbors.

If an Hispanic family lives next door add music to the music to the mix and a lot of little kids. Lots of family gatherings. Not unusual to see chairs, sofas and even recliners in the front yard. Good neighbors. They'll help out with community projects and look after your dogs if you need to be gone overnight.

If a black family lives next door, the music is different and louder and the young people are tougher looking. Also, things will be disappear from your porch. Your car will get rifled, maybe even stolen. The people coming and going often look shadier. Lot of shouting, at all hours. Lots of complaints about police harassment. Indeed, there will be police cars there from time to time.

Some black families are perfectly wonderful neighbors. Some white families are a mess.

But overall, I'd say that there is a lot to deal with families of different cultures. Sometimes it just gets to be too much and it is easier to move away and many do.

Unfortunately, these leaves families who want a different life for their kids stuck in situations that are hard to break away from.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 12-31-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 01-01-2015, 11:52 AM

9,520 posts, read 14,823,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
One would have to be quite blinded by their filters to not accept that Obama absolutely LOATHES the idea of white flight. He has tasked HUD with finding a way to disrupt this process.
What he's tasked HUD to do is a little more than that; it's a progressive goal to try to break up segregation by wealth, not just race (race in this case is little more than the "race card" to be played against opposition). The idea being is if you have the poor people living in the rich communities this will benefit the poor somehow (and also hurt the rich, but they can take it). This is crap of course; the wealthier communities will erect defenses against it, and if the feds manage to break the defenses, the communities will fall apart. 1 spoonful sewage + 1 barrel wine = 1 barrel sewage.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:14 PM

5,489 posts, read 3,909,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaTown View Post
I don't know what freekin planet you live on.....with respect. RACISM is why you have massive white flight from east to exurbs in the Memphis MSA in the FIRST place! I spent several years in executive posts in Memphis, but lived in Germantown. "Racism" is EVERYWHERE in lousy Memphis, TN. White flight started in Whitehaven, then to block busting in Hickory Hill, then bank-enabled (and Crye-Leike Realtors-enabled) white flight from First Tennessse Bank, Union Planters, Bank of Bartlett, Home Federal, Leader Federal, and NBC to finance all of the new building in an area out east called CORDOVA - then most of Cordova got annexed by the city of Memphis, more blacks started to move in, then the panic again was instituted by block busting techniques AGAIN of Crye-Leike and others all over again. NOW, the push is in Olive Branch MS, Arlington, Eads, Collierville, Fisherville and beyond. Sorry pal, stop lying and claiming that in MEMPHIS TN, white flight has nothing to do with racism and it's really about "crime" and "wealth". No one who has ever lived in that racist, backward, cotton and slave-trading town would agree with your suggestion. It's pure rubbish. Memphis is the worst, racist town I've ever lived in as an executive.

Seems a bit simplistic.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The white population of the Bay Area is aging rapidly. Asians aren't "displacing" white people - they're buying them out. A lot of white kids who grew up there can't afford it so they move inland, up to Oregon, to Denver, to the east coast, etc. (or if they're right wing they move to AZ or ID).
You can really breathe in San Jose
They've got a lot of space
There'll be a place where I can stay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqWt49o7R-k

Old 01-09-2015, 01:35 PM

13,720 posts, read 25,531,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Look, leave your safe, little, vanilla suburb and get out in the real world once in awhile ... You bore me.
An internet tough guy. Your username seems appropriate.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:47 PM

35,471 posts, read 10,496,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post

Jews and Italians are pretty hard to tell apart just based on appearance....

Really?

What an ignorant comment. Don't be so quick to attribute your biases and deficiencies on everyone else. Because it's your [mis]perception, doesn't make it true.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:14 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,961 times
I made a couple maps of Detroit and Houston showing census tracts where the share of visible minorities increased by 20 percentage points or more, ex from 40% VM to 60%+ VM.
SW Ontario Urbanist: Rapid changes in racial/ethnic composition in Houston and Detroit

It's colour coded by the VM whose share of the population increased the most.
Blue = Black
Orange = Hispanic
Red = Asians

What patterns do you see?

Any surprises?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or