U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:15 PM

2,610 posts, read 3,760,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here the new home developments are now including many in the 3,000sf/$800k-1 million range with to master suites, or have a "guest suite" that appeal to the multi-generational immigrant families from India and other Asian countries for high paying tech jobs.

Ashford Chase - Available Homes

Shorelane Vistas: luxury new homes in Sammamish, WA
My grandparents live in a 1940s building in Montreal that was probably similar to the ones in Queens. It's about 3500 spread across 3 floors. Lower floor has the garage and a smaller apartment, it's kind of a basement but it has windows since the main floor is about 4-5 ft above grade.

The main floor is the main residence, and the top floor has 2 small apartments. My grandparents own the building and live on the main floor. Their neighbours' building is the same, the owners live there, and they know their tenants, and their neighbours.

I'm not sure what so-called in-law suites or guest suites are like, but the units in these Montreal buildings are self contained with their own entrances off a common staircase. I think this is a better way of housing the renter population than in homes where the owner doesn't live there, especially smaller buildings/individual homes (bigger buildings can have full time management staff).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,153,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Here's one of my New Year's Resolutions, it's to NO LONGER be politically correct. It is what it is, if there's more black people in the area there will be more crime, a worse economy, lower incomes and more bad public schools.
<snip>
If the population is majority black, DON'T move there. The black race has fallen so far down in the gutter as a whole, that anytime you are anywhere with a majority black crowd or popluation, you AREN'T going to see a lot of Oprahs or Obamas or Cosby people, you are going to see DeShawn, Tyrone, Tyquesha, Moesha, Sharkeisha, and all of the ratchet pieces of trash in society.

If you want to find the decent black people (like myself) we will NOT be anywhere near a city/town with a majority black population. You can find us in the Suburbs spread out.
This is very true. It's an "inconvenient truth" to admit, but it's the truth nonetheless. High crime rates go hand in hand with non-decent black folks, and once they start moving into an area, the quality of life will drastically decline.

Old 12-26-2014, 02:21 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
This is very true. It's an "inconvenient truth" to admit, but it's the truth nonetheless. High crime rates go hand in hand with non-decent black folks, and once they start moving into an area, the quality of life will drastically decline.
This has nothing to do with being black and everything to do with being poor, growing up poor, and being surrounded by a culture of poverty. My last white neighbors were so horrendous that I begged, pleaded, cajoled, and finally threatened their landlord with legal action if he didn't get rid of them.

Just because you don't live near ghetto white people doesn't mean they don't exist but if you're unsure of their existence or whereabouts you can go to almost any neighborhood in Philadelphia east of Broad St. Similar neighborhoods exist in the outer boroughs of NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Chicago, etc. Rural white poverty is a lot more pervasive than urban/suburban white poverty in this country but it's hardly black & white.

ETA: In fact, you actually have it backwards, poorer people don't move into a neighborhood and "ruin it". By the time poor people can afford to move in to said neighborhoods they're probably already two decades into decline and disinvestment. Major employers move. Housing becomes obsolete. People get married, have kids, get divorced, get old, die, etc. They move for all sorts of reasons. In meto areas kids rarely settle down in the neighborhood they grew up in. Governments subsidize certain lifestyles and disinvest in others. Populations shift over time for all sorts of reasons. It's for these reasons that I've repeatedly called BS on the "white flight" narrative on these pages but I'll also vehemently call BS on the flip side of that coin which is this myth that "riotous, ghetto black people ruined our neighborhood/city"

Last edited by drive carephilly; 12-26-2014 at 02:43 PM..

Old 12-26-2014, 02:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,438,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It's true that on average blacks have more problems than whites and asians, and probably over 90% of the time majority black neighbourhoods are bad neighbourhoods. But you don't think there are any exceptions?

In small cities like Saginaw and Flint, there's fewer middle class blacks because there's fewer people in those cities in general, so you're less likely to have majority black areas that are middle class.

In Detroit it's a bit more likely, since it's a bigger city, so you have places like Southfield. I think Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village, North Rosedale Park are mostly middle class or even upper middle class blacks. There might be crime issues but I suspect it's mostly from blacks that live in more ghetto neighbourhoods nearby.

There are other cities with neighbourhoods like this, View Park-Windsor Hills in LA County, or parts of Prince Georges County in MD, they're not very common, but they exist.

And then you have places like Bagley in Detroit, or Maple Heights (suburb of Cleveland)... I don't really know what they're like.
An Exception to the Rule is just that, an Exception to the Rule lol. As a majority rule, a Man can out bench press a Woman, but there are Exceptions to that Rule such as the former Pro Wrestler Chyna, who out benched many of the male professional wrestlers as well as kicked their tail in the ring.

The majority rule is that living in a city/town where there's majority of black people, you are going to have issues with a quality of life. The reason this is so, is not because of a "white supremacy" or a "white man holding black people back" but it's totally in relation to blacks embracing RATCHET culture. You will never see far left liberals admit this nor race hustlers, they will say the problem is slavery and white supremacy, and say NOTHING about the disgusting choices made by these types of black people.

Use City Data as a quality of life tool. Before you decide to move into a city/town or before you decide to reserve a hotel in a city/town while on vacation or travel, check to see if the population of that city/town is majority black.

My rule is that if the city/town is majority black.....keep moving and don't look back!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:31 PM

12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
White flight is clearly not as much of a problem today as it was decades ago, but it is still true that most white people will leave a neighborhood which sees a dramatic increase in its black (and to a lesser extent Latino) population over the period of a few decades. The reason for the white flight may not be open racism though, but instead perceptions about rising crime, declining school quality, and falling property values. But while the actual rationale for the decisions may not be racist, some underlying subconscious racist assumptions may still underlie the decision.

That said, clearly in most of the country there is no significant concern any longer about living in an area with some black families. At the same time, in most metros it is difficult to find a "desirable" area (which hasn't recently been gentrifying) which is majority black (or even 25% black).

Old 12-26-2014, 03:42 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,029,928 times
One thing I learned moving from the Ghetto to a upper middle class neighborhood is, people in middle class neighborhoods only like people that look and act like them.
It's literally like High School in upper middle class neighborhoods.
Although white flight has slowed over the years, Most of the damage has been done and now we are seeing the results.
If Blacks/Hispanics were allowed to move to these same neighborhoods in the 1960,70,80,90's their would be no segregated neighborhood's in some parts of the US.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM

2,986 posts, read 3,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Like where?

I doubt the people near Dundas & Sherbourne are too happy about all the housing for substance abusers and homeless there either. No one wants them to be living in their neighbourhood but they have to live somewhere.
They would easily fit into Malvern or the lovely Martingrove and Finch neighbourhood in Toronto. Closer to home, maybe the Oxford/Wentworth/Glen Street area of south Oshawa would also be suitable for them.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:55 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,419,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Although white flight has slowed over the years, Most of the damage has been done and now we are seeing the results.
If Blacks/Hispanics were allowed to move to these same neighborhoods in the 1960,70,80,90's their would be no segregated neighborhood's in some parts of the US.
The Fair Housing Act was passed in 1968, which outlaws discrimination in housing.

Since that time, most segregation has been voluntary, people are allowed to move where they want if they can afford it.

Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,043,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Now, now! High school graduation is over-rated, doncha know?

Seriously, many urbanists do not want to accept that city schools are a big problem in getting hipsters to stay after they become parents of school-age children.

So the graduations hang on the wall
But they never really helped us at all

Old 12-27-2014, 05:29 AM

677 posts, read 530,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Here's one of my New Year's Resolutions, it's to NO LONGER be politically correct. It is what it is, if there's more black people in the area there will be more crime, a worse economy, lower incomes and more bad public schools.

I'm black and I can say it, but if I was white (or if you are white) you can say it as well because we have a RIGHT to say what we want to say.

It's the truth, I stayed in Flint, MI and Saginaw, MI which are two areas where the population is majority black. And the city/town is ratchet, full of Tyqueshas with 5 kids from 5 different thugs who are currently locked up in 5 different prisons. Then you have the DeShawns and Tyrones who are fresh out of jail with no job prospects, no assets, no car, who are 30 plus who stay in their mother's basement but Tyquesha and her "girlfriends" continually SLEEP with these pieces of trash and continue to reproduce with them.

If the population is majority black, DON'T move there. The black race has fallen so far down in the gutter as a whole, that anytime you are anywhere with a majority black crowd or popluation, you AREN'T going to see a lot of Oprahs or Obamas or Cosby people, you are going to see DeShawn, Tyrone, Tyquesha, Moesha, Sharkeisha, and all of the ratchet pieces of trash in society.

If you want to find the decent black people (like myself) we will NOT be anywhere near a city/town with a majority black population. You can find us in the Suburbs spread out.
Thank you. I'm a white, blue collar guy who lives in a nice, white (99%) neighborhood in Philadelphia. Nobody here is rich, we have some white trash, but it's safe (only one murder in the last 24 years, few armed robberies, some property theft by junkies and there was a black on white rape a few years back), has good schools and is generally clean and graffiti-free. There are drugs like anywhere else, but you won't find open-air drug corners, and if there's "activity" at a house, the neighbors won't tolerate it. A lot of people who live here are "involved" in keeping the neighborhood nice, and it's starting to show in property values, which, obviously is a good sign.
Personally, I get along with blacks and Hispanics in my day to day activities, but, no, I don't want them moving into my neighborhood. I've seen what happens to neighborhoods like mine when they begin to "change," and it's never good for people like me. I'm tired of being labeled "racist" for being realistic ... Our goal is to keep the neighborhood going in the right direction, pricing the white trash out and having it too expensive for the ghetto trash to move in. We have very little Section 8, which also helps the cause ... I've watched that program bring solid, working-class neighborhoods to their knees. It's sad that we even have to worry about this ...

Last edited by Better Than You; 12-27-2014 at 05:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or