Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 05:02 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,194,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Bay Area Census -- San Francisco City and County

1,500 decline in non-Hispanic white population in San Francisco.
Ok, though that change is so small that got rounded to 0%.

Quote:
And that's basically what you would expect and what gentrification is. People with more money gradually displace people with less money. Asians have more money than whites as a demographic, which is why the Asian population in the Bay Area is displacing the white population, especially in the Peninsula/South Bay.
Hispanic growth is high as well as Asian growth. They're not displacing whites by having more money. Source? I remember for the Bay Area, their incomes were about the same as white income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM
chh chh started this thread

420 posts, read 648,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hispanic growth is high as well as Asian growth. They're not displacing whites by having more money. Source? I remember for the Bay Area, their incomes were about the same as white income.
Nice source.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:11 PM

801 posts, read 1,099,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnw2016 View Post
I cannot think of any single factor that more decisively drives White flight than crime. Nothing else comes remotely close! Conversely, White flight would be much less pervasive without the criminality of another group serving as the primary motivation for relocation. Again, not even remotely close...
Disagree. It is a certainty that white fear of black crime is a reality. However, even so, I simply believe that many white people just do not want to like to live in a neighborhood where they feel like there is encroachment by blacks, esp. if they are not accustomed to living around blacks.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:22 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,203,538 times
The mechanisms of "white flight" have changed: credit risk for neighborhoods is no longer based on the race of the inhabitants, and racial covenants that stopped nonwhites from buying in new suburbs no longer exist. But many suburbs still reflect, for the most part, that white-flight pattern, it's just not as enforceable as it used to be. And as the standards of whiteness have changed and nonwhites have entered the middle class in greater numbers, it's more clearly an economic barrier than a racial one.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 PM

7,669 posts, read 5,385,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
Jews and Italians are pretty hard to tell apart just based on appearance...
Whaaaat? I hope you aren't basing this on the fact that they both tend to have more prominent noses than WASP's.

In my opinion, the majority are extremely easy to tell apart, just based on appearance, assuming they are 100% ethnic Jews versus ethnic Italians (as opposed to someone who "merely" has converted to Judaism, the religion and no plastic surgery has occurred.)

Sephardic Jews might appear a bit more Italian, based on their origins, but Ashkenazi Jews, no I don't think so.

Not that it matters.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,358,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
Disagree. It is a certainty that white fear of black crime is a reality. However, even so, I simply believe that many white people just do not want to like to live in a neighborhood where they feel like there is encroachment by blacks, esp. if they are not accustomed to living around blacks.
People living their life in fear of an unknown is silly to say the least. And what do they have to be accustomed to? If the blacks make the same amount of money and work hard so that their families can have a nice life, they have a right to live wherever they choose. So the solution to these particular whites is to either make even more money and move and even then that doesn't stop any encroachment, or *****.

Again, it's mostly the whites who don't have a whole lot who worry so much, because as I said before, higher income whites don't move. If you aren't in compliance and act contrary to the area you're in, you'd better believe you'll have the cops called on you, the hoa board on your case, whatever. I've seen these actions against other white people too.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:39 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,174,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Not here. Seattle is currently 70% White, 8.5% Black, 14% Asian, 7% Hispanic. In 2000 it was almost exactly the same, 70% White, 8.5 Black, 13% Asian, 5.2% Hispanic (the greatest loss but only 1.8% down). In the Detroit metro area it has more to do with the loss of jobs than race, while Seattle added 18,000 people and 15,000 new jobs in just the last year.
Seattle isn't anywhere near the tipping point in which white flight starts to occur. As a Hispanic that lives in Seattle, that is originally from South Texas, I can say that it will be a long time before White Seattlites will leave. From my experience, whites will start to abandon ship once they become less than half the population of an area. I have seen this first hand in places like Brownsville, Corpus Christi, and San Antonio. Whites seem to be ok with living in a neighborhood with a significant Hispanic population, but once they become the minority they run for their lives. An area will literally have no white people in less than a decade once this tipping point occurs. I couldn't say what that tipping point is when there is a significant black population, but I would assume it's less than 50%, due to the notion that I have noticed that white people seem to be less ok with having black neighbors than other races. From what I have experienced in Seattle, whites seem to not have a problem with Asians, but despite Seattle being an incredibly progressive area, people up hear are just as racist in regards to actually living around blacks and to a lesser degree Hispanics. I have no doubt in my mind that the Hispanic population up here will explode over the next 20-30 years, and when it does, there will be white flight just like there is in places like LA, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, San Jose, Sacramento, Albuquerque, Vegas etc

It's only a matter of time

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 PM

9,316 posts, read 12,917,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
In my opinion, the majority are extremely easy to tell apart, just based on appearance, assuming they are 100% ethnic Jews versus ethnic Italians (as opposed to someone who "merely" has converted to Judaism, the religion and no plastic surgery has occurred.)
Eh, I'm Jewish and grew up in a plurality-Jewish area, and in my experience, it's more cultural mannerisms than outward appearance that set us apart (and even then, only to the heavily-exposed and/or carefully-trained eye). There's a reason Italians and Jews can convincingly play one another on TV and in movies.

"100% ethnic Jew" is somewhat of a misnomer. Based on the most recent genetic studies, Ashkenazi Jews are mostly descended from Middle Eastern men who migrated outward and married/converted European women (Italians in particular). Granted, many Ashkenazim do "look" Jewish, but based on physical appearance alone, most could pass for any number of Mediterranean ethnicities. On top of that, many "100% ethnic Jews" have few "Jewish" or "Mediterranean" physical traits. I'm straight-nosed, square-jawed, light-eyed, fairer-haired, and broad-shouldered. Phenotypes are fleeting. One second cousin looks like Grace Kelly. Another looks like a caricature straight out of Nazi propaganda. Most family members are somewhere in between, though my immediate branch has a lot of sandy hair, blue eyes, and small schnozzes.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 12-29-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM

277 posts, read 324,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Here's one of my New Year's Resolutions, it's to NO LONGER be politically correct. It is what it is, if there's more black people in the area there will be more crime, a worse economy, lower incomes and more bad public schools.

I'm black and I can say it, but if I was white (or if you are white) you can say it as well because we have a RIGHT to say what we want to say.

It's the truth, I stayed in Flint, MI and Saginaw, MI which are two areas where the population is majority black. And the city/town is ratchet, full of Tyqueshas with 5 kids from 5 different thugs who are currently locked up in 5 different prisons. Then you have the DeShawns and Tyrones who are fresh out of jail with no job prospects, no assets, no car, who are 30 plus who stay in their mother's basement but Tyquesha and her "girlfriends" continually SLEEP with these pieces of trash and continue to reproduce with them.

If the population is majority black, DON'T move there. The black race has fallen so far down in the gutter as a whole, that anytime you are anywhere with a majority black crowd or popluation, you AREN'T going to see a lot of Oprahs or Obamas or Cosby people, you are going to see DeShawn, Tyrone, Tyquesha, Moesha, Sharkeisha, and all of the ratchet pieces of trash in society.

If you want to find the decent black people (like myself) we will NOT be anywhere near a city/town with a majority black population. You can find us in the Suburbs spread out.

I was at a party once in which one of the people attending was a black gentleman.

He was the only one there and the white liberals sure were falling all over themselves to ' relate ' to this guy. It was pretty bad.

I was right next to this guy when one liberal girl mentioned how she would only live in neighborhoods with diversity. How a diverse neighborhood was so important to her ( implying this guy must live in such a neighborhood ). The man laughed and said " What is it with you people - ? The first thing I did when I could was get out of the neighborhood I grew up in. Most blacks I know would love to live in white neighborhoods. "

The girl was shocked and had no idea what to say. It was painful to watch.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:35 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,846,452 times
My guess is its happening in many places. I know Brown Deer Wi. used to be a mostly white northern suburb of Milw. Not any more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning