U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,714,506 times
Reputation: 2538

Advertisements

Streetfilms | MBA: Highway Removal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-03-2015, 03:52 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,935 posts, read 7,593,436 times
Reputation: 9255
I wish they could remove the gash through the center of downtown San Diego that is Interstate 5. I completely separates parts of the city from two of its greatest assets: the harbor/bay and Balboa Park- and then proceeds to cleave apart formerly connected historic communities just outside of downtown along its route. Although there are dozens of bridges over where it is sunken and fairly easy access under where it is raised, it nonetheless has a very ominous, noisy, smelly and just overall negative presence where ever it passes by.

I can only imagine how much better downtown San Diego and my neighborhood just above it; now separated from it by I5, would have been before it was built.

There is talk of "lidding" over the freeway at downtown but there would never be enough funds for that. Still, I can dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 06:53 PM
 
3,836 posts, read 4,714,506 times
Reputation: 2538
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I wish they could remove the gash through the center of downtown San Diego that is Interstate 5. I completely separates parts of the city from two of its greatest assets: the harbor/bay and Balboa Park- and then proceeds to cleave apart formerly connected historic communities just outside of downtown along its route. Although there are dozens of bridges over where it is sunken and fairly easy access under where it is raised, it nonetheless has a very ominous, noisy, smelly and just overall negative presence where ever it passes by.

I can only imagine how much better downtown San Diego and my neighborhood just above it; now separated from it by I5, would have been before it was built.

There is talk of "lidding" over the freeway at downtown but there would never be enough funds for that. Still, I can dream.
Here's the good news. The infrastructure is crumbling - faster in some places than others - and there's no money to maintain the current levels. So they'll be ripping the most egregious ones out as they age out. It won't be fast enough for our generation - but our grand kids are going to know cities in an entirely different way and shake their heads in bewilderment at the mistakes disastrous mistakes made by our grandparents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2015, 09:28 PM
 
28,441 posts, read 71,029,142 times
Reputation: 18396
I can hope that when my kids or grandkids are in charge they will make decisions based on logic and the most reasoned solutions instead the whims of simple minded fools that would impose their ideas about what makes their aesthetic preferences / lifestyle choices feel superior to others...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2015, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I can hope that when my kids or grandkids are in charge they will make decisions based on logic and the most reasoned solutions instead the whims of simple minded fools that would impose their ideas about what makes their aesthetic preferences / lifestyle choices feel superior to others...
So you hope your kids or grandkids don't tear down other neighborhoods to make their own more convenient like we have done in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 06:50 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,464,047 times
Reputation: 1483
Interesting.... I lived in Chicago a couple decades ago. Their expressways were pot-hole city then. But they since rebuilt them basically as they were. Not sure if parts got expanded? They even rebuilt the Chicago Skyway that went HIGH over a waterway into Indiana. My understanding is Chicago has the lowest or one of the lowest, expressway systems in the nation. Parts of it are submerged, not elevated. The only one not fully replaced is its lakeshore Drive. But it is at mostly ground level and is one of the nicest urban drives in the nation down its Lake Michigan shoreline. It also has a double level highway along its River through downtown, that seems to work well. It too was rebuilt and its Riverfront walkway and park is currently being extended right next to this highway featured in the Batman movie ... The Dark Knight. Philly also rebuilt the expressway by its downtown. I think Miami has some high expressways through it.

Though I surely understand removing that very high one that was ugly from any angle, damaged in the quake in San Francisco. Also the high one by Seattle's harbor. They were poorly designed ones. Toronto has high mass transit usage. Perhaps lacking expressways promoted its use?

I would be in favor of cities removing them if NEW Mass Transit lines were built?

US cities could surely use more. CHICAGO'S "el" system is efficient and maintained, but adequate at best still using 100+ years old track systems to and around its downtown. But still, does not reach enough neighborhoods.
Especially newer expanding sunbelt cities that have no real mass transit systems. They should be planning mass transit systems. But their sprawl is already massive compared to northern cities.

A double level highway is on the left of these pictures. It still allows some parkland along the river.
The second picture shows extending the green space first phase completed now. No need to remove the highway here.
....East of ...... West of
........Michigan Ave..
Attached Thumbnails
Nice short video on why your city should consider removing its urban freeways-.chicago-lake-shore-dr-bridge-.jpg   Nice short video on why your city should consider removing its urban freeways-along-chicgo-river.jpg  

Last edited by steeps; 01-27-2015 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you hope your kids or grandkids don't tear down other neighborhoods to make their own more convenient like we have done in the past.
You're always going to have somebody whining when there's change. Hopefully they're just better about tearing down neighborhoods for something more useful is my hope. You know, less Fillmores and more Mission Bays. Hopefully they're not too scared of change to allow neighborhoods to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2015, 09:08 PM
 
56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
They are thinking about doing that with I-81 in Syracuse: I-81 : Home Page

https://www.dot.ny.gov/i81opportunities

A Community Driven Campaign to Protect and Preserve Syracuse

There is a thread in the Syracuse forum as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top