U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,293,708 times

Advertisements

Would it be possible to turn a regional mall into a small arcology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,890,268 times
Wander if Op has looked at many urban areas lately. Down town; shopping center and now malls. The truth is times change and now days businesses move with the people. From what I have witnessed many small downtowns are coming back and likely to continue with boomers retiring. Just other day I saw that Fredericksburg TX was highest per capita of Millionaires in Texas. I use to drive thru there for years at least three to four times. Just in 1979 it was a nice small town but with mostly boarded up windows. Not now its booming.Has a lot of bigerg stores but they are out of downtown and no mall at all; I doubt one could survive in the makeup of it. Else where I see the same thing happening in my travels.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:57 PM

252 posts, read 262,085 times
Don't forget why malls first came about. In the 1960's shopping in downtown areas was becoming dangerous. Malls allowed not only climate control, but safety too. Now that safety isn't such an issue anymore, people don't need the protection of a mall. In fact, the concept of "dead malls" tends to go hand in hand with unsavory elements (sorry to say this, but usually young people of color) bringing their bad behaviors to the mall. In the Eastland Mall example above, there has been a shooting there at least once a year for the last five years. You bet that's going to scare a lot of people off.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:24 AM

723 posts, read 651,647 times
Dead mall stories ? True.
Millions of dollars wasted, too bad.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-15-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
Don't forget why malls first came about. In the 1960's shopping in downtown areas was becoming dangerous. Malls allowed not only climate control, but safety too. Now that safety isn't such an issue anymore, people don't need the protection of a mall. In fact, the concept of "dead malls" tends to go hand in hand with unsavory elements (sorry to say this, but usually young people of color) bringing their bad behaviors to the mall. In the Eastland Mall example above, there has been a shooting there at least once a year for the last five years. You bet that's going to scare a lot of people off.
Can there be any other explanation to any decline that is not the fault of minorities ( Black or Hispanic) in this country? Greece is in the hole, Spain and Italy are declining , is that the fault of Blacks or Hispanics ?
At the end of the day, this makes us, Americans look really stupid and trailing behind in the civilized world.
Even if a racist cop decides to walk today to a minority ( Black or Hispanic) neighborhood and shoot people, we will still have some folk like you probably defending him.

Last edited by ThePage; 03-15-2015 at 11:29 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 PM

I have come across a number of different ideas...for alternate uses for defunct malls. I noticed that there is a thread regarding alternative uses for defunct big box stores.

Here's an idea-perhaps a given structure structure will be repurposed several times over a long span of time. I don't know if there is a term, but such might give a metropolitan area a bit of flexibility,

A multiple geometry metro!

Old 03-15-2015, 10:46 PM

252 posts, read 262,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePage View Post
Can there be any other explanation to any decline that is not the fault of minorities ( Black or Hispanic) in this country?
That's great to say and egalitarian and all that, but please show me a "white" mall with random shootings occurring once a year. (In the last year at Eastland, twice.) I'm not talking about the nut who comes along every few years somewhere in the USA and takes out a dozen people. That will probably never happen in your local mall. I'm talking about the gang bangers who act out pretty regularly in these venues once they start going downhill.

All it takes is a few shootings and the middle class white people stay away in droves. And that's what happens to these malls.

Granted, the odds of you being caught in the crossfire are miniscule, but an entire nation once stopped buying Tylenol because of a few tainted bottles. You may have a .00001% chance of getting tainted Tylenol, but if you're the guy with the tainted bottle, you have a 100% chance of being dead.

Sorry, but that's a fact. The white customer is the one with money. These events scare the white customer away. That's what happened a couple of generations ago with the downtown shopping districts.

Sorry if that's not politically correct, but it is true. I told my own mother not to go to Eastland any more (she liked to shop at the JCPenney there, which is closing).

Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Would it be possible to turn a regional mall into a small arcology?
Yes it's possible, we're doing something very similar to that to most of the malls in and around Vancouver, British Columbia. No, it would probably not be possible to do in most sprawling American cities, since you don't have rapid transit lines that lead to suburban regional malls nor do you have very expensive land prices, very tight restrictions on the development of any more sprawl, and a large enough multifamily market to support presales of thousands upon thousand of units in one single mega project. This is the sort of project that emerges from an ecosystem that already builds mostly multifamily and has the developers, marketing people, financial culture, and market culture to make it work. It doesn't come de novo, and it takes baby steps for a city and real estate market to work up to something like that, and like I said, rapid transit infrastructure, and an accompanying metro-wide quality transit network, is a key missing variable almost everywhere.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:25 AM

Interesting points, BIMBAM. I think that baby steps would be required in the USA. Perhaps starting with modest quarters in a declining mall? On another thread it was commented that something like that might appeal to some people, who may have an interest in living next to shops, but not in urbanism. A niche thing.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresTheBeef View Post
That's great to say and egalitarian and all that, but please show me a "white" mall with random shootings occurring once a year. (In the last year at Eastland, twice.) I'm not talking about the nut who comes along every few years somewhere in the USA and takes out a dozen people. That will probably never happen in your local mall. I'm talking about the gang bangers who act out pretty regularly in these venues once they start going downhill.

All it takes is a few shootings and the middle class white people stay away in droves. And that's what happens to these malls.

Granted, the odds of you being caught in the crossfire are miniscule, but an entire nation once stopped buying Tylenol because of a few tainted bottles. You may have a .00001% chance of getting tainted Tylenol, but if you're the guy with the tainted bottle, you have a 100% chance of being dead.

Sorry, but that's a fact. The white customer is the one with money. These events scare the white customer away. That's what happened a couple of generations ago with the downtown shopping districts.

Sorry if that's not politically correct, but it is true. I told my own mother not to go to Eastland any more (she liked to shop at the JCPenney there, which is closing).
If there is white mall shooting, how about the shootings in white schools, how about domestic terrorism? don't tell me this is changing the subject, it is still about shooting in a public place.
How many Black try to kill federal agents?
Let's be more intellectual instead of always trailingbehind. We are not in the 17th century anymore.

See the chart on this list of school shootings . How many shooters were Black?
List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or