U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 02:57 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Based on this sentence.

Sounds like this person doesn't like being outdoors because it is full of bad weather, thugs, trash, and so on.
Or he happens to be more bothered by bad weather than you or I am. And perceives crime as a worse problem than others. Everyone has different tastes and perceptions you can't make assumptions on their places or choices from things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 03:00 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Based on this sentence.

Sounds like this person doesn't like being outdoors because it is full of bad weather, thugs, trash, and so on.
Weather can be a deterrent to being outside, yes. We've had a cold winter this year. Not a time to go frolicking around outside much. Snow all over the place makes it hard to push a wheelchair or stroller,and ice on the sidewalks is dangerous for everyone. nei gave an example of downtown benches attracting the homeless. Heck, YOU live in a city with a HUGE documented homeless problem.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,523,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Or he happens to be more bothered by bad weather than you or I am. And perceives crime as a worse problem than others. Everyone has different tastes and perceptions you can't make assumptions on their places or choices from things like that.
True, but that also doesn't justify not having pedestrian only areas in a downtown.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Weather can be a deterrent to being outside, yes. We've had a cold winter this year. Not a time to go frolicking around outside much. Snow all over the place makes it hard to push a wheelchair or stroller,and ice on the sidewalks is dangerous for everyone. nei gave an example of downtown benches attracting the homeless. Heck, YOU live in a city with a HUGE documented homeless problem.
I'll add my downtown looked surprisingly busy yesterday evening despite it being 16F, people wear coats. There's a bit of an ice issue on my street, but in or near downtown everything is very clear. I'm more worried about driving on ice than walking, I use to avoid driving after snowstorms and walk as much as possible. One of my parent's friend would walk to her LIRR train station after snow rather than drive and park, she wasn't comfortable.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
And yet where I live I can still find plenty of places to sit when I am downtown that aren't full of homeless people sleeping on them. Therefore it is possible to have places to sit in a downtown, much like there are places to sit in a suburban mall. As for the weather, it depends on where one lives, in Portland the weather isn't much of a deterrent to being outdoors and many Oregonians prefer being outdoors whenever they can.

Do people not have kids in urban areas that get snow, thus making strollers dangerous to push around? This concept that someone wouldn't want to go to a downtown because they can't sit when they are walking around is probably one of the weakest excuses I have ever heard.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
True, but that also doesn't justify not having pedestrian only areas in a downtown.
I agree that it shouldn't. However, everyone has different opinions on what's worthwhile.

The Ithaca Commons is a very popular public space in the summer. In the dead of winter when it's 8F? Not so much. People go to wherever they're going as quickly as possible and don't linger. Still works really nicely in good weather, which still does happen even in Ithaca.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 PM

87,003 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
And yet where I live I can still find plenty of places to sit when I am downtown that aren't full of homeless people sleeping on them. Therefore it is possible to have places to sit in a downtown, much like there are places to sit in a suburban mall. As for the weather, it depends on where one lives, in Portland the weather isn't much of a deterrent to being outdoors and many Oregonians prefer being outdoors whenever they can.

Do people not have kids in urban areas that get snow, thus making strollers dangerous to push around? This concept that someone wouldn't want to go to a downtown because they can't sit when they are walking around is probably one of the weakest excuses I have ever heard.
It's hard to push a stroller in the snow. I suggest you try it some time, with a 25# sack of potatoes (or something) in the stroller.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Do people not have kids in urban areas that get snow, thus making strollers dangerous to push around?
Any snowy urban area with a high volume of pedestrians clears snow quickly from sidewalks. And in this region, pour salt. New York City is great at removing evidence of snowstorms, at least on the sidewalks. Snow often gets replaced with salt.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree that it shouldn't. However, everyone has different opinions on what's worthwhile.

The Ithaca Commons is a very popular public space in the summer. In the dead of winter when it's 8F? Not so much. People go to wherever they're going as quickly as possible and don't linger. Still works really nicely in good weather, which still does happen even in Ithaca.
I have no issue with that, but that doesn't mean a downtown shouldn't be able to have pedestrian only areas just because someone doesn't like going downtown.

I will say that pedestrian only areas should only be in places that are attractive to high pedestrian use. Time Square makes sense because there are so many pedestrians and not enough sidewalk there. In Portland, the only area that is pedestrian only is Old Town on weekend nights because of the high concentration of bars and drunks that the police got tired of the risk of drunks getting hit by cars. Though I think that idea might have been a bit of a failure, but not because of the lack of cars, but more because it creates a bit of an intense drunk circus that no one sober would want to step foot in.

Old 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
It's hard to push a stroller in the snow. I suggest you try it some time, with a 25# sack of potatoes (or something) in the stroller.
And yet when I lived in NYC, I saw nannies all the time pushing kids in strollers regardless if it had recently snowed. It is possible, but it requires the city to be proactive with shoveling. I am sure there are people that would never ever go into a downtown when it is snowing, but then there are people who have no issue with it.

I am not saying some people might not like to do that, I am however saying that just because some might not like that doesn't mean everyone doesn't like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or