U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-14-2015, 10:10 PM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Reputation: 1483

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
State Street has the look and feel of a glorified office park.
The scale and height of the buildings give it a cold and impersonal feel.
Not a fun or ideal kind of place to go for a walk.

Seems like a place to just work 9 to 5 and go home, like a robot.
Your brashness to merely mock is overdramatic. CHICAGO'S downtown went through what most Northern cities did. It did have less losses of retail despite losses on State Street in the 70s 80s. The VIBRANCY of downtown has GREATLY INCREASED today. A vibrant theater district just off State Street, wasn't there 25 years ago.. Hotels were not throughout the Loop with new ones coming... including a high-end Boutique hotel right on State Street in one of the oldest surviving first skyscrapers. A new condo building is on state street.. and a new Apartment or condo one being built over the Block 37 mall on state Street. Worlds largest library built in the 90s on State Street.

Tourist reviews on tourist feedback and recommendations web sights ... give Chicago high ratings and reviews today after visits. Comments on how clean and so much to see are common.

YOUR CALLING DOWNTOWN A GHETTO, IN A PREVIOUS POST IS UNCALLED FOR AND TROLLING

This is State Street today⤵

.....Christmas............Summer..........Christma s ....Looking south at.......TARGET
..front of Macy's⤵.....North State⤵........State⤵.....morning cleaning⤵ ...on State⤵
Attached Thumbnails
Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-macys-chicago-state-st-christmas_.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-state-street-chicago.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-state-street-chicago-christmas.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-south-state-street-chicago_.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-target-chicago-downtown.jpg  

Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2015, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,053 posts, read 29,538,049 times
Reputation: 7830
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
State Street has the look and feel of a glorified office park.
The scale and height of the buildings give it a cold and impersonal feel.
Not a fun or ideal kind of place to go for a walk.

Seems like a place to just work 9 to 5 and go home, like a robot.
I disagree, I love State St, it has a big city feel to it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 01:13 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,267,953 times
Reputation: 2924
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Nah there are theaters and restaurants and many things to do on State street but when they banned the auto that is precisely what it turned into. A place people worked and went back home because it was difficult to access when traffic isn't an issue. Retail suffered. You don't need to attract people for an walk, you need a reason why the people are walking there period.

So the opening of State Street to car traffic is responsible for all of this great development?
And all these people are arriving there by car? That would be a pretty miserable drive.



What about all the bad neighborhoods in Chicago that are also open to car traffic?
Chicago is known for having some of the worst most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.
By your strange logic these areas should be thriving because of all the wonderful car traffic they get
but they most certainly are not.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Pedestrian malls are rather common in Australia. Most drive.

Human Transit: on pedestrian malls: look to australia
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
So the opening of State Street to car traffic is responsible for all of this great development?
And all these people are arriving there by car? That would be a pretty miserable drive.



What about all the bad neighborhoods in Chicago that are also open to car traffic?
Chicago is known for having some of the worst most dangerous neighborhoods in the country.
By your strange logic these areas should be thriving because of all the wonderful car traffic they get
but they most certainly are not.
Where is anyone arguing CAR TRAFFIC BROUGHT BACK STATE STREET? The mall concept failed because it did not look good on such a broad Long 9 block section of downtown. Every crossing intersection had east west traffic. Just only fuming buses, yet in that era were on State Street itself. But the downtown as a whole was already fully coming back when State Street was re-opened.

Though Chicago as a whole grew by only 10,000. Black migration out of the city continues.
DOWNTOWN HAS BOOMED ADDING MORE PEOPLE DOWNTOWN THEN NYC DOWNTOWN, in the last decade and it still continues.

Population residing within the commercial downtown area grew by 95.6%, and by 45.5% within 1/2 mile of that area and by 46% within one mile of that area.

CLOSE TO 200,000 PEOPLE ARE LIVING IN DOWNTOWN CHICAGO NOW

GREAT PICTURE in this sight extremely high pixels you can CLICK ON over CHICAGO'S Grant Park
and even zoom in on Millennium Park ahead of it ⤵

Chicago had largest downtown population growth from 2000 to 2010

These pictures are virtually all residential downtown⤵
Attached Thumbnails
Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-.chicago-lake-shore-dr-bridge-.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-chicago-north-downtown.jpg   Pedestrian-only Downtowns?-chicago-river-north.-high-rise-loft  
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,989 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Where is anyone arguing CAR TRAFFIC BROUGHT BACK STATE STREET? The mall concept failed because it did not look good on such a broad Long 9 block section of downtown. Every crossing intersection had east west traffic. Just only fuming buses, yet in that era were on State Street itself. But the downtown as a whole was already fully coming back when State Street was re-opened.
I thought that was the current argument, especially by chirack. Much of the rest of your post doesn't have much to do with the thread.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 AM
 
2,167 posts, read 1,266,641 times
Reputation: 2492
Denver co, has a great downtown ped mall. Free shuttle, great shops, entertainment, cafes. Guess it's still great; live in another city now. Miss Denver's transportation and well, just everything. Hoping to move back one day soon!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 08:58 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought that was the current argument, especially by chirack. Much of the rest of your post doesn't have much to do with the thread.
I will refrain from posting further. Chirack didn't mock State Street or Chicago... Cisco kid did.
I merely responded to his State Street was a Ghetto comment then used his next commenting on rest of the city is bad neighborhoods, to use as quote. As you know I defend Chicago if negative comments fly. I clearly wanted to show State Street and downtown was no ghetto, when the mall was scraped in the 90s..... and especially is not today. I did not go into bad neighborhoods he refered to the rest of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
What you are saying is flawed because I said no such thing.

State Street failed because no one wanted to visit a crime ridden ghetto area that was abandoned by
businesses and investors (white flight). It had nothing to do with it being accessible to cars or not.
That and the lack of good transit options.

Driving into downtown Chicago or the downtown of any big city is pure torture.
Why anyone wants to do it is beyond me. I'd much rather walk or take transit.
I drove downtown a lot when I lived there... you just avoid rush hours.... and usually did the underground garage... or I took the "el" from the northwest side. You can drive through neighborhoods too to get there. I'd take the Kennedy expressway to Addison Exit to Lake Shore Drive for a pleasant off rush hour drive too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM
 
4,023 posts, read 3,267,953 times
Reputation: 2924
State Street isn't the best kind of place for a pedestrian zone. They work best best in more intimate smaller scale urban settings, and State Street is the complete opposite of that. You can stand on any intersection look down the street and it seems to go on forever in every direction. Makes me dizzy. I wonder if its even possible to get around the area by anything other than car, preferably in a Ferrari or really fast car because it seems like you would never get anywhere by walking. I've never seen anything like it. Has a very urban highway, urban canyon feel to it. The sheer scale of it is overwhelming.

State Street
https://goo.gl/maps/rMga1


Times Square has a similar massive scale to it but the pedestrian plaza works on some level because 42nd street is so overwhelmed with car and foot traffic that when you remove the car traffic that is eating up 80% of the physical space it provides some relief from the overwhelming congestion.




Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I will refrain from posting further. Chirack didn't mock State Street or Chicago... Cisco kid did.
I merely responded to his State Street was a Ghetto comment then used his next commenting on rest of the city is bad neighborhoods, to use as quote. As you know I defend Chicago if negative comments fly. I clearly wanted to show State Street and downtown was no ghetto, when the mall was scraped in the 90s..... and especially is not today. I did not go into bad neighborhoods he refered to the rest of the city.


I was referring to State Street in the 70s and 80s responding to a link someone posted about the history of the area at the time, in particular the pedestrianized part of it. Which back then was filled with adult bookstores, porn theaters, seedy strip clubs, rat-infested flophouses, liquor stores on every corner, etc. Some people might be nostalgic for such things but to me that would be called a ghetto. That's why the pedestrian experiment failed. They turned a ghetto into a pedestrian mall but left all the ghetto elements intact which is a recipe for failure. It's been cleaned up and doing a lot better now but that's due to gentrification not because of the cars.



Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I disagree, I love State St, it has a big city feel to it.
It would be interesting to visit but I wouldn't want to live around there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2015, 11:24 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
State Street isn't the best kind of place for a pedestrian zone. They work best best in more intimate smaller scale urban settings, and State Street is the complete opposite of that. You can stand on any intersection look down the street and it seems to go on forever in every direction. Makes me dizzy. I wonder if its even possible to get around the area by anything other than car, preferably in a Ferrari or really fast car because it seems like you would never get anywhere by walking. I've never seen anything like it. Has a very urban highway, urban canyon feel to it. The sheer scale of it is overwhelming.

State Street
https://goo.gl/maps/rMga1

Times Square has a similar massive scale to it but the pedestrian plaza works on some level because 42nd street is so overwhelmed with car and foot traffic that when you remove the car traffic that is eating up 80% of the physical space it provides some relief from the overwhelming congestion.

I was referring to State Street in the 70s and 80s responding to a link someone posted about the history of the area at the time, in particular the pedestrianized part of it. Which back then was filled with adult bookstores, porn theaters, seedy strip clubs, rat-infested flophouses, liquor stores on every corner, etc. Some people might be nostalgic for such things but to me that would be called a ghetto. That's why the pedestrian experiment failed. They turned a ghetto into a pedestrian mall but left all the ghetto elements intact which is a recipe for failure. It's been cleaned up and doing a lot better now but that's due to gentrification not because of the cars.

It would be interesting to visit but I wouldn't want to live around there.
Sorry have to respond because of the Google 360 you posted.... That is State STREET YES... BUT IT IS BLOCKS NORTH OF THE CHICAGO RIVER. STILL DOWNTOWN, BUT THE LOOP AND WHERE THE 9 BLOCK MALL WAS IS SOUTH OF THE CHICAGO RIVER.

This Google 360 begins True State Shopping of the Loop.

This is the view STARTING State Street at Wacker Drive intersection I put it to show Chicago's architecture Trump Tower in center⤵
REVERSE IT AND GO FORWARD DOWN STATE OE GO TO THE NEXT 360

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8864...XYHacvnaZQ!2e0

THIS STARTS GOING DOWN STATE STREET You can keep clicking forward here , lot of buildings getting remodeled .. or click on the next couple as you go down⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8864...XYHacvnaZQ!2e0

The iconic Chicago Theater this view ⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8849...wm_NJ7LbQA!2e0

One of first skyscrapers still surviving in the center here
State and Washington now a boutique hotel⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8832...2wIDYy5kGg!2e0

Further down State⤵

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8805...VMH_ViJZNw!2e0

I WILL ADD YES THE EARLY 70s STATE STREET GOT SEEDY.....GONE BY THE 80s .... BUT SO DID TIMES SQUARE ..

Last edited by steeps; 01-15-2015 at 11:34 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top