U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I drove downtown a lot when I lived there... you just avoid rush hours.... and usually did the underground garage... or I took the "el" from the northwest side. You can drive through neighborhoods too to get there. I'd take the Kennedy expressway to Addison Exit to Lake Shore Drive for a pleasant off rush hour drive too.
But could you park right next to your destination? Or did you have to walk a couple blocks most of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 02:55 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,465,557 times
^^^^^^ It wasn't allowing me to quote. It went to another quote? But what I did was do a garage by the Willis(Sears) Tower or the garage under Grant Park. I enjoyed just walking the lakefront or walk downtown. I had no problem taking the "el" too. They have some park and ride from the Northwest side too. If I was doing the beach I would do a north shore beach not on a weekend. Park in the neighborhood. Didn't care if I had to walk. There are still parking lot parking, on the edge of downtown in areas new buildings did not get built yet. It still is not Manhattan with very little parking. I am sure it is not getting easier in the years since I was there.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:00 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,990 posts, read 41,979,923 times
What I mean is that with or without a pedestrian mall, drivers still walk a bit after parking.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:52 AM

11,083 posts, read 4,869,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No.

Most downtowns are too large to get around by walking. Maybe someplace extremely small like Bend, OR, where the downtown is only three blocks by three blocks it wouldn't be completely unfeasible. It wouldn't really provide any benefit though either.
Lol, even 2x2 miles would be considered too much to walk? Hopefully people aren't that lazy.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:02 AM

410 posts, read 389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Lol, even 2x2 miles would be considered too much to walk? Hopefully people aren't that lazy.
Try calling a vet who got their leg blown off by an IED in Afghanistan lazy. Go for it!

Old 01-16-2015, 11:54 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Try calling a vet who got their leg blown off by an IED in Afghanistan lazy. Go for it!
That isn't the same thing.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:27 PM

410 posts, read 389,294 times
A one legged Afghanistan vet doesn't fit into ohhwanderlust's implied fat lazy American stereotype. Associating laziness to how far someone can physically walk isn't very kind to certain segments of the population.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
A one legged Afghanistan vet doesn't fit into ohhwanderlust's implied fat lazy American stereotype. Associating laziness to how far someone can physically walk isn't very kind to certain segments of the population.
What you did is what we call "cherry picking." I doubt a one legged Afghanistan vet is an American stereotype. Most fat and lazy Americans still have both of their legs.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:48 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That isn't the same thing.
No, but you know, some of these "urbanists" don't stop to think about people with disabilities, or even people carting along small children or the able bodied but perhaps slower and less energetic elderly. It's mostly about young, physically fit people, particularly young men who don't have to worry so much about their physical safety as women, either.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
No, but you know, some of these "urbanists" don't stop to think about people with disabilities, or even people carting along small children or the able bodied but perhaps slower and less energetic elderly. It's mostly about young, physically fit people, particularly young men who don't have to worry so much about their physical safety as women, either.
So what about suburban malls? Do people with disabilities or people with children not go to these places due to not being able to park in front of each store?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or