U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2015, 10:59 AM

4,896 posts, read 7,664,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Buses are disgusting.

The only advantage I can see in transit is if someone is commuting from NJ to NYC or something like that. Skip the rush hour traffic. Otherwise, there is no advantage.

Also, I feel a lacking of pride on this website. America is the country of the V8. Motor City. Don't tell me you guys never thought about taking a big 'ole muscle car down a rural highway at midnight, radio blasting with an attractive female on the bench seat. What's more American then that? Apple pie, the Constitution, USS Iowa perhaps?

We are the country of the Automobile.

Drive or die.
Yeah, look at what we let happen to the motor city...

Anyway, what you're describing is completely different from sitting in traffic, in your Toyota Corolla, on your way to/from work. How do you know there aren't people out there who commute via public transportation everyday, who have a big block Chevelle sitting in their garage, that they take out to enjoy on weekends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 11:11 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post

Anyway, what you're describing is completely different from sitting in traffic, in your Toyota Corolla, on your way to/from work. How do you know there aren't people out there who commute via public transportation everyday, who have a big block Chevelle sitting in their garage, that they take out to enjoy on weekends?
That actually sounds ideal, I prefer driving for fun rather than driving to commute. Walking, biking, and transit all sound like better options to me for commuting than driving and sitting in traffic. But I do enjoy taking the car out on a road trip out to the coast for breakfast or lunch, and go for a hike.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:21 AM

87,016 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The negatives of buses are they're often slow and unreliable, often much slower than driving. Maybe they're "good enough", but they're often much worse in quality than rail. Sometimes not.
We have express buses w/fewer stops, and they can use the HOV lanes of I-25. We're getting BRT up here in Boulder County, after having voted for rail.

Old 01-18-2015, 11:42 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,026,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
We have express buses w/fewer stops, and they can use the HOV lanes of I-25. We're getting BRT up here in Boulder County, after having voted for rail.
Perhaps the added advantage of rail is less there if they don't get stuck in rush hour traffic.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:51 PM

12,309 posts, read 15,215,162 times
Quote:

I know plenty of people like that. They don't like to wear out their "pride and joy" in rush hour traffic, particularly during the winter. And what's the point in driving a fast car when you never get out of second?

Old 01-18-2015, 01:38 PM
PJA

2,392 posts, read 2,483,561 times
Quote:
Like others have said, I think most people drive--whether they want to or not--because public transit is no longer a viable option. It's no longer practical, because we've made ourselves dependent on the automobile.
No we've made ourselves independent of public transportation.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:41 PM
PJA

2,392 posts, read 2,483,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends, if the system is actually a good system, time planning shouldn't be an issue. For me, I live where transit is good. I have 4 buses on a 15 minute schedule, plus one express that runs during rush hour. I can leave my house when ever and know that within 15 minutes I will be catching one of several buses.
Well I can walk out of my house right now and get in my vehicle and in the time it takes you to wait 15 minutes I could have gone to the store and back.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:50 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,936,249 times
I prefer public transit to driving because I can read and get things done while sitting on a subway, train or bus and also it is statistically much safer than driving. The risk of being injured in a car accident is far far higher than the robbery rate or accident rate on any public transit system in the country. So ability to read and safety are two advantages of transit.

That's not to say that driving doesn't have its advantages which for some people might be more important. But in my personal opinion, I like the advantages of transit.

My opinion is also colored by the fact that public transit is pretty good where I live and is as fast or faster than driving during rush hour. If I lived somewhere where the public transit was less efficient, then the convenience factor of driving might outweigh the advantages of transit for me.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,554,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
Well I can walk out of my house right now and get in my vehicle and in the time it takes you to wait 15 minutes I could have gone to the store and back.
You must live within a mile of the store, not sure I would take a bus just to go to a store within a mile of my house. Also, 15 minutes is the maximum I have to wait for a bus.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:48 PM

1,056 posts, read 971,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman91919 View Post
The city I live, if I wanted to use public transport to get to work, it would involve a 2 1/2 hour bus ride each way, with 1 mile of walking in between various stops. I can drive there in 20 minutes.
Me too! Public transit with a combo of 2 different buses plus train plus 1 mile of walking would be over 2 hours. Compared to a drive of 25 - 45 minutes depending on traffic. Why in the world would I ever take public transit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning