U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The traditional commute would be towards Pittsburgh, not away. Though if there is that much centralized commuting towards New Kensignton, maybe that is a sign that this town basically needs its own transit system for all those commuting towards it.
Are you kidding? New Ken had a population in 2010 of 13,116 and it is estimated to be dropping. They'd be lucky to raise enough money to pay a driver, forget the buses.
https://www.google.com/search?q=new+...x-a&channel=sb
New Kensington, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I did read it now. As for it being congested, I thought you were saying the corridor wasn't congested, at least the bus route:
I don't see anything about congestion in my posts. Anyone with 2+ passengers can use the HOV lanes, although these BRT lanes they're building will require cars to have at least 3 passengers to use them. They'll also require hybrid owners to buy, yes buy, a transponder to use them (for free). Go figure. Bunch of crooks.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:20 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,519,126 times
Quote:
Taking a bus to go half a mile did sound off. Many outer borough locations don't have an express subway, it's just local.
It might be local in the outer borough, but one would want to get on the express train as soon as they could. From what I could tell he had to have taken the 4 train, which is an express train once it reaches Manhattan. To get from Grand Concourse in the Bronx to Bowling Green takes about 26-35 minutes. So it makes me wonder where he managed to eat up that extra hour and a half of time.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Are you kidding? New Ken had a population in 2010 of 13,116 and it is estimated to be dropping. They'd be lucky to raise enough money to pay a driver, forget the buses.
Well then there is your answer. We are talking about a very small town, so I am not surprised it doesn't have any useful transit. It is easy to argue that transit isn't needed when talking about small towns, much harder to make that same argument when talking about larger cities.

So while I get that where you live might not need transit, but not everywhere is the size of New Ken.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I did read it now. As for it being congested, I thought you were saying the corridor wasn't congested, at least the bus route:
I went back several pages and in FallsAngel's defense, you suggested that Boulder was getting BRT rather than rail because the congestion my not be an issue. Though FallsAngel never responded to that suggestion, so that is where the confusion seems to have come from.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I went back several pages and in FallsAngel's defense, you suggested that Boulder was getting BRT rather than rail because the congestion my not be an issue. Though FallsAngel never responded to that suggestion, so that is where the confusion seems to have come from.
I have discussed this issue many times before. The NW corridor is not getting rail b/c the RTD ran out of money to pay for it.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I have discussed this issue many times before. The NW corridor is not getting rail b/c the RTD ran out of money to pay for it.
Then I guess BRT will just have to do for now, or the taxpayers that live in the NW corridor can help cover the costs to get a light rail line.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM

7,542 posts, read 8,421,952 times
Quote:

The population of the Greater New Ken area is actually a lot larger.

Add in adjacent communities like Upper Burrell, Lower Burrell, Arnold, Plum, East Deer, Tarentum, Springdale, Brackenridge and Cheswick, and you'll find its a lot more than just a small town.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The population of the Greater New Ken area is actually a lot larger.

Add in adjacent communities like Upper Burrell, Lower Burrell, Arnold, Plum, East Deer, Tarentum, Springdale, Brackenridge and Cheswick, and you'll find its a lot more than just a small town.
My point was it would be foolish for New Ken to have its own transit agency. I wasn't tryingto put it down.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:56 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,181 times
Quote:
From yesterday's Denver Post:
Meyer: Is RTD pulling a fast one on U.S. 36? - The Denver Post
My allowable 3 sentences,plus one:
"You guys are so cute, thinking you'd have a rail line from Longmont to Denver for your adorable commutes.."

The writer of this op piece has no idea what they are talking about.
The NW Corridor is not getting a BRT INSTEAD of a train, the election was clearly for both.

What people in the NW Corridor should be upset about is that they are getting a VERY watered down version of BRT. A well designed BRT system would be much faster than the commuter rail that is proposed. But instead they are getting neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning