U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 10:15 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,199,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
What's your source for all this?
40 years of civic involvement and a good memory.
Is there something specific you are questioning?
Because it is probably all in the dozens and dozens of links you posted earlier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:31 PM

87,071 posts, read 102,800,958 times
^^So you're basically saying the RTD didn't renege on its plans for rail service from Denver to Boulder?

BTW,this post below is what got the conversation going on this tangent:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It doesn't surprise me. Most of this country has horrible mass transit. There are still plenty of people in the US that don't even have the option to take passenger rail service to work. That's why the number is so high.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:28 AM

13,908 posts, read 25,382,379 times
A friend of mine is moving here from NYC to retire. He plans to stay with me until he finds a place of his own. He has never driven a car. I am looking forward to experiencing his mindset about transportation because I have seldom used public transportation except in Europe.

To me it seems to be a huge waste of time to spend an hour on a bus compared to 10 minutes in the car. And if the place is less than 5 miles away wouldn't I just be better off walking it? Just for example, I know one place he wants to go is less than 3 miles away and to get there by bus you have to transfer. So you wait for 2 buses, could be 40 minutes of just waiting time, plus the time to get to the bus stop and walk from the bus stop to your destination. So that trip can take easily take an hour and a half. The same trip in the car only takes 5 or 6 minutes.

Hands down, I would just walk it. But he says no big deal, he would just take the bus. I think there are major differences in how we view transportation and the value we put on our time. Maybe I have too many choices and he has no choice other than to depend on public transportation. Anyway, he is going to teach me how to take the bus. I offered to teach him to drive but he is convinced he is too old to learn.

There are major differences between me, who has always driven and had a car, and his experience relying on public transportation. It's going to be interesting!

And how the heck do you ever go to Costco?

Old 01-20-2015, 07:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,100,107 times
Quote:
^^So you're basically saying the RTD didn't renege on its plans for rail service from Denver to Boulder?
I don't think he said that. I certainly didn't say that. What I was saying was the BRT is not a replacement for rail, it was originally planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
The writer of this op piece has no idea what they are talking about.
The NW Corridor is not getting a BRT INSTEAD of a train, the election was clearly for both.
====================================

As for gwilliphilly, while I don't think no rail = bad transit, rail is more likely to be time competitive with driving (except maybe BRT) so it gets more ridership.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
A friend of mine is moving here from NYC to retire. He plans to stay with me until he finds a place of his own. He has never driven a car. I am looking forward to experiencing his mindset about transportation because I have seldom used public transportation except in Europe.

To me it seems to be a huge waste of time to spend an hour on a bus compared to 10 minutes in the car. And if the place is less than 5 miles away wouldn't I just be better off walking it? Just for example, I know one place he wants to go is less than 3 miles away and to get there by bus you have to transfer. So you wait for 2 buses, could be 40 minutes of just waiting time, plus the time to get to the bus stop and walk from the bus stop to your destination. So that trip can take easily take an hour and a half. The same trip in the car only takes 5 or 6 minutes.
The difference in mindset is that in NYC for many trips, the time difference between transit and driving is small and parking is inconvenient or expensive. I often take the bus, but for that route I don't transfer, it's a direct route.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't think he said that. I certainly didn't say that. What I was saying was the BRT is not a replacement for rail, it was originally planned.
Nevertheless, a train was also originally planned. That's the part some want to argue. It was part of the original project, and considered very desirable, as shown by this board as well. The sentiment on this issue in Boulder and Broomfield Counties is very different from that of the rest of the RTD.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:56 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,199,495 times
Quote:

BTW,this post below is what got the conversation going on this tangent:

I didn't say that, but....I see that coming.
It bothers me that people think the BRT is a substitution for the rail, they were both in the original ballot plan.

If they did a first class BRT system there would be no need for the train but they are really doing a poor
version of BRT Lite, so people will still want the train.

Look at the other commuter corridors in the metro area, they all got one mode, either light rail or commuter rail.
But Boulder wanted both an upgraded bus system AND a train.
Given the rider numbers and the distance, how was that supposed to work?
Wouldn't they be competing for the same riders?

Up until they signed a 50 year lease for the HOV lanes there was always the option of upgrading from
BRT Lite to a real BRT system. With the current lease in place, I don't know that it is still an option.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
I didn't say that, but....I see that coming.
It bothers me that people think the BRT is a substitution for the rail, they were both in the original ballot plan.

If they did a first class BRT system there would be no need for the train but they are really doing a poor
version of BRT Lite, so people will still want the train.

Look at the other commuter corridors in the metro area, they all got one mode, either light rail or commuter rail. But Boulder wanted both an upgraded bus system AND a train. Given the rider numbers and the distance, how was that supposed to work?

Up until they signed a 50 year lease for the HOV lanes there was always the option of upgrading from
BRT Lite to a real BRT system. With the current lease in place, I don't know that it is still an option.
You are not gauging the sense of the Boulder/Broomfield Countians correctly. Many of them want the train, PERIOD!

Old 01-20-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Nevertheless, a train was also originally planned. That's the part some want to argue. It was part of the original project, and considered very desirable, as shown by this board as well.
I know that, I never argued against that, I didn't there was anything to debate about that. The article read as if the bus was not originally planned.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
You are not gauging the sense of the Boulder/Broomfield Countians correctly. Many of them want the train, PERIOD!
Whether they want it or not, it doesn't seem like the best project in the first place (fails to serve the center of Boulder as one reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning