U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 08:14 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,194,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
You are not gauging the sense of the Boulder/Broomfield Countians correctly. Many of them want the train, PERIOD!

Well there is Boulder, and then there is reality.
What is the name of that old song, might have been Joe Cocker (RIP),
"You can't always get what you want"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Whether they want it or not, it doesn't seem like the best project in the first place (fails to serve the center of Boulder as one reason).
It was a very poorly planned project. It did not go to either the center of Boulder or Longmont.
It was far from a direct line for either, people commuting from Longmont to Denver do not need or want to go west thru Boulder.
It was a half ass proposal, using existing rail ROW to convince Boulder County voters to vote for a tax increase.

It makes no sense at all to have two expensive modes on the same lightly used route.
If either was done correctly, the other would fail. The irony is that if they were doing a
first class BRT system people would realize the train was not needed. BUT they are NOT!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 AM

87,006 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Whether they want it or not, it doesn't seem like the best project in the first place (fails to serve the center of Boulder as one reason).
It's what was voted for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
It was a very poorly planned project. It did not go to either the center of Boulder or Longmont.
It was far from a direct line for either, people commuting from Longmont to Denver do not need or want to go west thru Boulder.
It was a half ass proposal, using existing rail ROW to convince Boulder County voters to vote for a tax increase.

It makes no sense at all to have two expensive modes on the same lightly used route.
If either was done correctly, the other would fail. The irony is that if they were doing a
first class BRT system people would realize the train was not needed. BUT they are NOT!
Thank you for telling all of us in Boulder/Broomfield County what we want/need.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Your welcome. I've been involved in this process since the beginning.
Unfortunately the outcome is seriously flawed.
Most of my friends and neighbors in Boulder realize this.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:50 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Quote:
It's what was voted for.

Actually a true BRT is just as effective as a light rail line and tends to cost less making it useful for places that are further out. Though BRT isn't usually considered to be as good looking as light rail.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually a true BRT is just as effective as a light rail line and tends to cost less making it useful for places that are further out. Though BRT isn't usually considered to be as good looking as light rail.
This could turn into an interesting bus vs. rail argument.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:13 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,528,523 times
Quote:
This could turn into an interesting bus vs. rail argument.
Haha, that is true. Hard for me to pick a side on this one. I prefer rail, but understand that bus is sometimes the cheaper and more efficient option, especially if it is BRT.

Personally I don't mind when BRT is used as the first stage of transit that could later be upgraded to rail if there is enough demand.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,989 posts, read 41,979,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
The distance was about 17 miles but that 17 miles has 9 stops on one EL line and 12 on the other assuming about 1 min and 30 seconds per station for loading and unloading you get 31.5 mins alone just for train stops!!

A car would be going 55+ miles an hour the whole route. The green line can't go that fast because it is elevated(it would shake it's structure too much). The Blue and Red lines can barely approach that speed, because the train would be flying into the next station and so the EL rarely travels at it's maximum speed of about 55 miles and hour. It probably averages about 20 miles an hour when you count in stops. The non stop direct nature of the car often trumps public transit.
That sounds like an unlikely average speed unless you're on rural roads. Lights and some traffic should pull the average way down. Unless you were on an expressway the entire drive. But even then, part of the trip involves getting to and from the expressway where the average speed is lower and if the trip is during or near rush hour, 55+ on an expressway in a big metro sounds unrealistic.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 7,638,403 times
Quote:
They picked a starting point that's unusually far from a subway station for most places near Manhattan. I'm also unsure how he managed to take 45 minutes longer than google maps time, perhaps he got unlucky and the train was delayed, if it hadn't transit would have been the fastest. Of course, they could have done a radial trip where transit would have been clearly worse than driving. In any case, there's a big difference in convenience between transit taking 20-30% slower and it taking 2-3X longer than driving. The first is tolerable to many the other only tolerable if it's an occasional trip.
I see he transferred trains for some reason at Grand Central. From the Bedford Park gate of the Bronx Botanical Gardens, you simply have to take the Bx26 to Jerome Avenue and then take the 4 train down to Bowling Green. No need to transfer trains at Grand Central. So already, something's screwed up there.

On a recent trip, I recall it took about 45 minutes to get from 149th/GC to Bowling Green, including rush hour delays that slowed us down. Assuming little to delays north of 149th (since that's the merge point with the 5 train), that adds around 20-25 minutes to the travel time. Add in the waiting time for the bus, plus the 5-10 minute bus ride, and you're around an hour and a half tops.

Quote:
A couple things I am noticing about the transit portion of that article. The man waited for a bus rather than walk half a mile. That is just lazy to wait for a bus if you are capable of walking. Most New Yorkers have no problem walking a half a mile or more to get to the subway. In this case, that walk would have taken him about 7-10 minutes.
Depending on the situation, it might involve a steep hill, though. In this particular area, there are some rolling hills. Nothing crazy like some other Bronx neighborhoods, but still. Although it looks like it wasn't really a concern of his, since he said he was deciding whether to walk or wait for the bus.

Quote:
I love the part where he complains about the smell...newsflash, all of New York City has a smell, it is an old dirty big city. Some times it smells like old gym socks and pee.
Honestly, I rarely smell anything too crazy on the trains. Maybe on some of the platforms themselves, but hardly ever on the trains.

Quote:
Also another thing that is very questionable that he doesn't address is did he take a local or an express train. Any New Yorker knows you take an express train for any long commutes unless you like riding a train for a long time. I have a feeling a local train helped pad his numbers on how long it took him.
I have a feeling that's why he randomly transferred at Grand Central when there was no need.

Quote:
Actually looking at his route, it should have taken him just under an hour to do. It taking him almost 2 hours to make that commute is a bold faced lie. And he could have saved himself $2.50, by just walking to the nearest subway station rather than wait for a bus.
Actually, you get a free transfer from the subway to the bus, or vice versa. The fact that he paid $5 was because there were two people traveling, not because they took a bus to reach the subway.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,904,920 times
I suppose I could use public transportation to get to work...
  • Walk ten miles to the bus stop that's closest to my house
  • Ride the bus for fifteen minutes
  • Get off at the bus stop that's closest to where I work
  • Walk eight miles to work from that bus stop
Nah - I think I'll just drive to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning