Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Nobody likes the bus. The bus is transport of last resort. It's slow, uncomfortable, and often takes a circuitous route. You're often stuck waiting for them as they rarely keep to their schedules. To top it off, in some places (e.g. Philadelphia) they're filled with low-lifes talking about how they just got out of jail.
It depends on the system and how far out one lives. I am not a fan of buses, but I do like the new buses Portland has and I have a pretty easy route to ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 08:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,253,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It depends on the system and how far out one lives. I am not a fan of buses, but I do like the new buses Portland has and I have a pretty easy route to ride.
If the bus goes from where you are, to where you want to be, at the time you need to take the trip, its a good deal I guess, particularly if you don't have much to take with you.

But that is only the case with a small proportion of the trips out there, for most people it just isn't very practical.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:08 PM

21,824 posts, read 25,094,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Not too many upper-income people in the inner city. But you have a point. By income level, obesity goes down as income goes up, regardless of place of residence. The state with the lowest obesity rate is Montana,not exactly an "urban" state.
Try visiting the largest city, New York, some time. Manhattan is very wealthy.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If the bus goes from where you are, to where you want to be, at the time you need to take the trip, its a good deal I guess, particularly if you don't have much to take with you.

But that is only the case with a small proportion of the trips out there, for most people it just isn't very practical.
Possibly, that tends to go along with transit being inadequate, or areas being poorly zoned and laid out.

Old 01-22-2015, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Try visiting the largest city, New York, some time. Manhattan is very wealthy.
I don't exactly think of Manhattan as the "inner city". Cue all the wordsmiths here who will argue about what "inner city" means. Meanwhile, here are a few links:
Exploring the Inner-city Paradox: Poverty, Neighborhood Walkability, and Obesity | Active Living Research
Obesity's Home: City or Suburbs?

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
I don't exactly think of Manhattan as the "inner city". Cue all the wordsmiths here who will argue about what "inner city" means. Meanwhile, here are a few links:
Exploring the Inner-city Paradox: Poverty, Neighborhood Walkability, and Obesity | Active Living Research
Obesity's Home: City or Suburbs?
The inner city you imagine isn't what inner city means in every city. A number of cities in the US have healthy inner city neighborhoods.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
I identified a number of causal factors for the rise in suburbanization. Interstate construction was one among them.
It wasn't a causal factor. It facilitated the process, sped it up even, but it was clearly happening anyway.

Quote:
Highway 76 was built in 1959. And stretches of it predate the interstate. 676 was built in 1964; 295 in 1959. And as I said initially, interstates were one among the factors contributing to suburbanization.
LOL. Aside from your dates being completely off the mark I grew up there and am old enough to remember when most of them opened. 1959 marks the first bridge built in Delaware that would become a part of the signed interstate years later. 295 wasn't finished until 1994. I know because when the last segment opened it cut my trip time to Philly by about 15 minutes. Until the early 80s it had only been built north to Moorestown and cut between areas of Camden County to the west that had been mostly developed in the 1880s to 1920s and to the east that had been developed in the 1950s.

The two segments of I-76 were connected - finishing the Schuylkill Expressway - in 1960.

I-95 through Center City Philly didn't open until 1979 and the rest of it wasn't finished until the mid-80s.

Construction on the Vine St. Expressway (676) didn't even start until the mid-80s and didn't open until the early 90s.

Quote:
Oh, you don't believe in the existence of white flight. I see. Black people started moving out of the South in large numbers before WWI. White flight describes a phenomenon in which white Americans migrated from cities to suburbs.
http://www.econ.ucla.edu/lboustan/re...hiteflight.pdf
White Flight | Cliometric Society
I think you should read some of the other threads in this forum because these topics have been discussed ad infinitum here and right now you're just coming off as really condescending - especially so because you're fashioning yourself as someone who knows more about the topic and you clearly don't.

So, if you want to talk about the Great Migration then you should know that it's typically broken into two parts, 1st and 2nd. You should also know that the 2nd Great Migration was much larger than the 1st. And that while black people were leaving the south in large numbers that's relative . . . and they weren't all going to the same place. The black population of Philadelphia in 1920 was 7.4% or around 134,000. To put it another way the city was over 90% white and large parts of Philadelphia were either in the process of being built or had yet to be built so the numbers of african-americans are mostly irrelevant when it comes to what the white population was doing. African-Americans from the south were moving to the oldest parts (read: cheapest) of Philadelphia, neighborhoods that native born whites had been leaving in droves well before hand. And speaking of native born whites - the white population of Philadelphia had been buoyed through the early part of the 20th Century by continuing European immigration. Native born whites began moving to the suburbs with the advent of the electric traction trolley in 1880. By 1900 the decline in native born whites in the city could already be seen. By 1920 suburban growth was rapidly outpacing urban growth. By 1930, which marked a sharp decline in European immigration, all of the white population growth in the Philly region was happening in the suburbs. By 1950 all population growth in the region was happening in the suburbs.

I'm using Philly here as an example because I can easily back up the data I'm using but the same is true for most older, northern cities.

If what you're saying is true - the suburbanization happened because white people didn't want to live around black people then there would have been some mass exodus over a decade or two. That didn't happen. The facts are that the white population of most urban neighborhoods declined at a relatively even rate over a 50 or 60 year period and in even in neighborhoods that were still 90% white in 2010 the rate and size of population is similar to neighborhoods that were 90% white in 1950 and 10% white in 2010.

Port Richmond, Philadelphia

The same phenomenon can even be observed in neighborhoods that were majority black in 1950
Graduate Hospital, Philadelphia

The white flight theory doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Quote:
Take a look at my prior post with links to residential segregation analysis before you make believe that it did not matter. FHA loans were one of many pillars of western and northern residential segregation. Others included racially restrictive covenants, real estate practices, the politics of incorporation & local government, and others. Read the excellent Techcrunch history of East Palo Alto.
The practices were relevant for a brief part of the suburbanization of the country (at most 2 decades) - a suburbanization which began in earnest in the 1880s and which was only really impeded by the Great Depression/WWII. I completely concur that it negatively impacted the ability of african-americans to move to the suburbs in most cases in the 1950s and 1960s but it didn't stop them from buying homes in large numbers because the FHA restrictions weren't to deny loans but to promote segregation. That's still not enough to explain suburbanization.

Here's a graph of a South Philly neighborhood with an AA population that predates WWII - most other Philly neighborhoods show similar curves

If anything the lack of access to the GI Bill - because the military was segregated during WWII and because the draft boards in Southern states (where the large majority of AAs at the time were still living) wouldn't take black men - had a much more deleterious effect when it came to getting federally guaranteed loans than anything the FHA could muster.

Quote:
The Great Migration began before the 1920s.
The Great Migration began in 1910 and again, it started off slow, and people were spreading themselves among a lot of different northern cities.

Quote:
As I mentioned, NC schools were simply segregated by law. Even the NC historical society recognizes that most of NC continued to fight integration after Brown in 1954.
Your point was that school financing had a big impact on suburbanization but the facts are that it happened regardless of how schools were financed. Whether or not people in NC were resisting integration is irrelevant because they lost and when I lived in NC 15 years ago kids were stilled being bussed out of their home district.

Quote:
What do you mean by obsolescence? And how do you figure that household sizes "were much bigger players in the move to the suburbs"?
I'm not sure how else to explain housing obsolescence . . . houses built in 1880 were built with gas lanterns in the wall. There was no electricity. There were no toilets.

In 1940 in my Philadelphia census tract 30% of the units did not have a full bathroom. 10% of the houses were lacking a toilet. In a neighborhood full of small, 2 bedroom rowhomes 60% of the units had 5 or more people. 16% had more than 7 people. Hardly anyone had anything resembling a modern kitchen. This is why people left - because they knew what a modern house with a garage and a yard and 3 bedrooms looked like and they wanted one and because the GI Bill gave it to them. Not because they were scared of the black people who were already their neighbors. That's just nonsensical fantasy.

You see the same thing happening now in 1950s suburbs where the previous owners didn't modernize as often as they should have. No one buying a house in 2015 wants to deal with an electrical panel with a handful of 15 amp breakers, that doesn't have central air, that has a kitchen that needs to be gutted. Not if they can afford better anyway. That's what housing obsolescence is. If you were picking up a rental car would you take the new Camry with bluetooth, dual zone a/c, cruise control, and a good sound system or would you take the 1974 Chevy Nova with vinyl seats, no a/c, and am/fm dial tune radio. It's not a tough decision for most people.

When you look at the census data it's very clear that the people leaving the neighborhood in the 1950s were young, white renters in their early 20s aka: people starting a family and moving out of their parents house. Those were the people moving to the suburbs in the 1950s and 1960s and they were doing it because the housing conditions they were coming from were terrible. In the parts of Philadelphia that were still being built out in the 1950s you see a lot of white people moving to those neighborhoods - because the houses were new.

In this same census tract in 2010 the household size for occupied units is around 2.4. The population decline wasn't "white flight". It was white kids starting their families in the suburbs. Their parents didn't go anywhere and while the white population declined evenly over the decades the number of white households declined much more slowly. This wasn't a flight - it was a migration that took place over 3 generations. I understand that if you're pushing an agenda then "white flight" is more dramatic but, outside of a few anecdotes, that's not really how it happened.

Quote:
The Soviets were spending 15-27% of GDP on their military in the 1980s, not the 50s and 60s. Any guess about the percentage in the 50s and 60s is just that, a guess.
Do you have any idea about the devastation that WWII wrought on Russian industry, infrastructure, and the population itself? It wasn't a rich country to begin with.

Last edited by drive carephilly; 01-23-2015 at 01:10 AM..

Old 01-23-2015, 05:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It wasn't a causal factor. It facilitated the process, sped it up even, but it was clearly happening anyway...courtesy editing
I respect your research on this topic and I think your understanding of the topic is refreshing. What impact do you think racism/bigotry had on suburban flight if any? Was it just another factor that encouraged suburban flight (akin to poor living conditions)? Given the history of racism in the USA, I have to imagine it played some part.

And to tie it back into the thread topic (for nei), it seems that the poverty stricken were left behind to take transit in many cities or neighborhoods. More whites being able to move to the suburbs and afford cars, and a larger percentage of blacks left behind in poor neighborhoods taking buses/trolleys and sometimes trains.

On that note, it does seem like value remained around a lot of train lines, but I know that that's not true 100%. Perhaps train/subway lines were the first places to gentrify...

Old 01-23-2015, 09:59 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
I will NEVER give up my car for public transportation.

A car provides so much freedom! and they're fun to drive and gas is cheap and the wind through my hair feels too good. Why would I give up rolling down my windows with the AC on full blast smoking a cigarette for cramped public transport with a bunch of peasant-like people? Like I wanna sit next to a total stranger who smells like soup and onions... coughing on me...talking to me, smelling their rancid breathe.

No thanks.
Pop in my car and off I go! riding off into the sunset.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Pop in my car and off I go! riding off into the sunset.
[sound of breaks slamming]: https://photobackstory.files.wordpre...09/dsc6986.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning