U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 12:04 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,560,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Don't look now, but MAX Blue east of Gateway sucks at most times other than rush hour.
What do you mean sucks at most times? Too long between trains? Delays? I haven't been out that far on the Blue line, which is one of the longest lines in Portland. They could probably afford to add an additional line that runs from downtown to Gresham.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
This was how the question was phrased in the American Community Survey which was used to come up with modal share percentages:

Essentially someone who took mass transit 3 days out of the week and drove a personal vehicle the other 2 days would check one of the mass transit options. In over 20 years of my working life, i have never taken mass transit to get to work. How many people who take mass transit can say they have never taken a personal vehicle to get to work?
Never taken or never driven? I have never owned or driven a car. I have always taken mass transit to work but on some occasions I have been driven to work by another person. I would say over thirty some years of work that has happened maybe five times.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:07 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,692,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Why are you so bothered by the fact that other people have different opinions than you? You are welcome to your opinion and we are welcome to ours. I would much prefer spending an hour on public transit (yes, even a crammed bus) than an hour in traffic because I can read when I'm not driving.
And having taken public transit almost every day in DC for years, yes I have also seen all sorts of loonies and crazies. They don't bother me enough to make me prefer driving.
That is my opinion. It's fine if you find driving more pleasant. Yes, "somehow" I think differently than you. What's the big deal?
Yeah, me too. I rode all kinds of public transportation both in Chicago and Portland OR and it's a tie for looney tunas. But as long as they weren't threatening (I encountered many more of those in Portland than Chicago) I didn't mind. It made for interesting stories to tell my friends who never encountered anything interesting while sitting behind the wheel in traffic during their daily commutes to and from work.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, me too. I rode all kinds of public transportation both in Chicago and Portland OR and it's a tie for looney tunas. But as long as they weren't threatening (I encountered many more of those in Portland than Chicago) I didn't mind. It made for interesting stories to tell my friends who never encountered anything interesting while sitting behind the wheel in traffic during their daily commutes to and from work.
In Portland it really depends on the line you ride on. Some attract some real loony people, while others are filled with just regular commuters.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:01 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,958,688 times
Bad behavior also happens in places where transit ridership is generally higher than your average american city but in those other places I think the general riding public is a lot less tolerant of bad behavior especially when it's generally offensive - like vandalism, accosting other passengers, or generally rude behavior. Other passengers are quicker to gang up on the offender -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ps6HaNpHnI

Old 01-26-2015, 08:51 AM

410 posts, read 390,121 times
Quote:
Never taken or never driven? I have never owned or driven a car. I have always taken mass transit to work but on some occasions I have been driven to work by another person. I would say over thirty some years of work that has happened maybe five times.
You haven't always taken mass transit to work though. I explicitly said "taken". If you've taken the bus, should i assume you were the driver?

Last edited by impala096; 01-26-2015 at 09:02 AM..

Old 01-26-2015, 01:39 PM

779 posts, read 769,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
NYC population=8.4M X 55% who take transit = 4.6M
US population=316M. X 5% who take transit = 15M

So almost a third of all transit commuters in the US are in New York! But this mainly reflects the superior level of service in NYC.

What you may want to consider is this: what percentage of Americans have access to public transportation as a viable means of commuting to work (say, a travel time no longer than 1.5 times the peak-hour drive time with frequent service)? Now what percentage of these people commute via mass transit--that's a statistic I'd like to see.
Another huge chunk of that comes from Chicago I would assume

Old 01-26-2015, 01:42 PM

779 posts, read 769,937 times
Quote:
It's amazing being on the train in Chicago (or any other city) and seeing the "quality" of people transform as you go from one neighborhood to the next.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
It's amazing being on the train in Chicago (or any other city) and seeing the "quality" of people transform as you go from one neighborhood to the next.
That is true, I remember experiencing that regularly in NYC during the couple years I lived there.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:43 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,037,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhamoutlook View Post
Another huge chunk of that comes from Chicago I would assume
Not as much: Chicago (CTA + Pace) has 1.8 million weekday riders, Boston (MBTA) has 1.3 million riders, Washington DC (MetroRail + MetroBus + Commuter Rail) has 1.3 million riders. New York City (MTA + commuter rail + PATH + suburban buses) has about 10 million riders. Chicago is the second largest, but the gap between NYC and Chicago is much larger than Chicago and the next largest city for transit ridership. My numbers aren't exact, and some are double counted because people do rail to bus transfers, but the relative difference should be about right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning