U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
theres plenty of old people and young people that have never owned or driven a car in city's with public transportation. having a car wasnt a good experience for me, but walking to or from the bus wasnt eather. still better then having a car though
Not having a car doesn't work for everyone. You have to make some adjustments and it certainly makes you live at a slower pace. It also limits where you can live. I have always been able to work around that so I am used to the lifestyle.

When I lived in Portland I had a neighbor who had the best of both worlds. He used Zip-Car when he wanted to get out of the city on weekends or for a longer period of time. For his daily commute to work or other transportation needs he took the bus. He once had a car but had sold it many years earlier and never regretted it.

I have actually met some very nice people and have had good conversations with them. Not everyone who rides the bus is a nut case. Usually the people I meet riding the bus during the off hours are just people like me, going to appointments or shopping. They are just ordinary people who for one reason or another don't own cars.

Besides, I would imagine that if some of the loonies who ride the bus drove cars, they would be the ones who cut other drivers off or threaten them with road rage. Not all the nut jobs ride the bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 10:53 PM

929 posts, read 843,548 times
people texting on the phone while driving is the worst

Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
people texting on the phone while driving is the worst
Well, that's one thing you can do fairly safely on the bus. The only problem you might have is missing your stop.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Well, that's one thing you can do fairly safely on the bus. The only problem you might have is missing your stop.
The worst is trying to finish a text right before your stop. But it is nice to play on my phone while commuting and not having to worry about traffic.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
The worst is trying to finish a text right before your stop. But it is nice to play on my phone while commuting and not having to worry about traffic.
Or just when the bus arrives at your stop before you have finished your text. I saw a woman try to finish up her text figuring the bus driver would wait for her. He didn't. As he drove away, she looked very dismayed. I think she learned a lesson that day.

I like just staring out the window. I always find the scenery interesting no matter how many times I have been in the same area.

One problem I used to have was falling asleep while riding the subway on the way home from work when I lived in Chicago. I sometimes went past my stop and had to another train back to my station. It was only a few stops but still annoying.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:15 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,509,053 times
Quote:
Or just when the bus arrives at your stop before you have finished your text. I saw a woman try to finish up her text figuring the bus driver would wait for her. He didn't. As he drove away, she looked very dismayed. I think she learned a lesson that day.

I like just staring out the window. I always find the scenery interesting no matter how many times I have been in the same area.

One problem I used to have was falling asleep while riding the subway on the way home from work when I lived in Chicago. I sometimes went past my stop and had to another train back to my station. It was only a few stops but still annoying.
I fell asleep on the subway once in NYC that caused me to miss my stop. I ended up having to go a few stops past to the station I could get off and change trains without having to leave the station. I was so mad that I actually did that.

The bus leaving the lady texting made me laugh, I could see that happening, and good for the driver cause I would have done that too.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:10 AM

14,061 posts, read 16,074,613 times
Quote:
Or losing your phone.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I fell asleep on the subway once in NYC that caused me to miss my stop. I ended up having to go a few stops past to the station I could get off and change trains without having to leave the station. I was so mad that I actually did that.

The bus leaving the lady texting made me laugh, I could see that happening, and good for the driver cause I would have done that too.
I don't blame him at all. Neither did the other passengers on the bus. We all laughed. He actually did pause for a few seconds. She was so into her texting, she didn't even see him until it was too late.Imagine not seeing a huge city bus pull up right in front of you. That must have been some message.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM

779 posts, read 768,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Miami does NOT have a good bus system, though we have a few bus lines that are "usually" usable, mostly the Beach, Biscayne Blvd., and Little Havana lines. Except when there is traffic and accidents and events... Which is often. Miami has ZERO dedicated bus lanes in the city--only a poorly run busway which connects to the Metrorail in the southern suburbs. Oh, and busses break down a lot. And no, there is no GPS tracking on any of these heavily used routes so you can't tell in advance if it is delayed or broken down. It's remarkable how much ridership Miami's buses get, all considered. For one thing, many tourists on the Beach are Europeans who are more open to using public transportation while on vacation, also in the city there is more poverty than most US cities.
I suppose it's a matter of perspective. I've never been heavily dependent on the bus system in Miami when I lived there. However, when I did use it, I thought it was very efficient. Perhaps not as good as some but I think the real point I was making was about the perception in some cities is that buses are bad and trains are not. It's weird to me. Like, almost a stigma. I live in Birmingham, AL now and everyone here turns their noses up at the prospect of riding the bus.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:58 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,048,846 times
Quote:
Or they will help strengthen those inner city neighborhoods and streetcar suburbs and make them great areas to raise a child without needing to move out to the suburbs. I always find it funny when people think that it is only young people without children that would want to live in the city and then once they want kids they move to the suburbs, buy three cars, and never step foot on a public transportation vehicle ever again.
You wish. Unless something akin to school vouchers is made public policy, parents will opt to move to the better suburban schools, unless they can become so affluent to afford private ones out of pocket.

Talk to us when you and the missus are dealing with kids of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning