U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 03:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,149,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Detroit, Saint Louis, and Cleveland should have followed LA's lead... and built more freeways. Perhaps their population decline wouldn't have been so significant over the past 60 years.
Per capita, Los Angeles has far less freeways than the others, at least per capita. Having trouble finding a source, but I read it somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:42 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,884,859 times
Quote:
Detroit has seen a massive decline in population, but on a percentage basis it hasn't actually been the worst. Since the 1950 census, the population of Saint Louis has dropped 62.7% (Detroit has dropped 61.4%). The only city that has seen a significant increase in population is LA; the freeway capital of the world .
L.A. is something of a special case, in that its official population tally is misleading for comparison to other cities. The unincorporated parts of L.A. county make the city's official population count odd in comparison to L.A.'s layout. Some incorporated parts of L.A. are less connected to the core city itself than some unincorporated parts. East L.A., which is unincorporated, has a population of ~124,000, and there's not any real question about whether it is part of L.A.

I'd go so far as to say that MSA makes more sense to look at, but that would mess up the chart you posted, as most of those cities have seen MSA growth. And that's without even considering cutting SFV or San Gabriel from L.A.'s population for a more apt comparison.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,964,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Per capita, Los Angeles has far less freeways than the others, at least per capita. Having trouble finding a source, but I read it somewhere.
Is this by lane mile? Because NYC also has a lot of freeways but you won't find many wider than 3 lanes per direction.

I'm trying to think of places around NYC with more than 4 lanes each way and all I can come up with is the NJ Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway (at least the part with the express lanes), and a few other interstates like 78 and 80 as they approach the city.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:46 PM

14,101 posts, read 16,155,897 times
Quote:
Are you thinking lanes miles per metro area? That's the only thing I've seen.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:04 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,149,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Are you thinking lanes miles per metro area? That's the only thing I've seen.
I think so.

Quote:
I'm trying to think of places around NYC with more than 4 lanes each way and all I can come up with is the NJ Turnpike, the Garden State Parkway (at least the part with the express lanes), and a few other interstates like 78 and 80 as they approach the city.
It'd be nice to see an inner vs outer metro or city vs suburb split. Many western cities are relatively flat in build and de-centralized. But if the NYC metro scores high because it has lots of freeways in the outer suburbs, it has little revelance for the city proper, which has very different traffic conditions. I think almost all the expressways in the NYC city limits have no more than three lanes, LIE has four in spots. Does the Jackie Robinson Parkway even qualify? It's all exits, but it has a 30 mph curve...

Old 02-11-2015, 03:37 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,964,272 times
Quote:
I think so.

It'd be nice to see an inner vs outer metro or city vs suburb split. Many western cities are relatively flat in build and de-centralized. But if the NYC metro scores high because it has lots of freeways in the outer suburbs, it has little revelance for the city proper, which has very different traffic conditions. I think almost all the expressways in the NYC city limits have no more than three lanes, LIE has four in spots. Does the Jackie Robinson Parkway even qualify? It's all exits, but it has a 30 mph curve...
Yeah, you're not going to see much in the way of 6 or 8 lane freeways anywhere in the northeast but I think a major difference, aside from the era in which those places were built, is that the northeast in particular and the east coast in general, does a much better job with state highways. That might be owing to topography, I don't know, but in the Bay Area there is El Camino and there's International Blvd and then there are freeways. There is no equivalent of Route 1, Route 9, Route 35, etc. in NJ or Route 9 in the Boston suburbs.

In NY, NJ, PA, MD, etc I would rarely consider getting on an interstate or freeway for a trip of a few miles unless it was directly in my path. In CA the viable alternatives to getting on a freeway is to take a different freeway.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:43 PM

12,325 posts, read 15,254,652 times
Quote:
Detroit, Saint Louis, and Cleveland should have followed LA's lead... and built more freeways. Perhaps their population decline wouldn't have been so significant over the past 60 years.
More cities should indeed follow LA's lead. By the late 1980's it was clear that the freeways were not keeping up with the traffic, and started building rail: subway, light rail, commuter rail (including the nation's first suburb to suburb line). Metrolink now has the highest ridership of any system that started up since 1980.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:21 AM

930 posts, read 848,461 times
its probably not a good city for biking though so everyone is eathere taking the train or driving.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:15 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,292,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
MMetrolink now has the highest ridership of any system that started up since 1980.
I would certainly hope so. No other major city had a system built during that time period, so LA is basically being compared to the Orlandos of the world.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:21 PM

12,325 posts, read 15,254,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would certainly hope so. No other major city had a system built during that time period, so LA is basically being compared to the Orlandos of the world.
Orlando's one line only went into service last year. Just in time for freeway construction.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-14-2015 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Variation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning