Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 07:51 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, it reflects how much our country really lacks when it comes to public transportation....but it gives us something to think about when we are sitting in traffic with everyone else burning fuel.
No, it reflects that people don't want to use public transportation! I use to take public transportation, it was awful. I disliked having to sit by unknown people, I disliked how long it takes to get from point A to point B. People drive vehicles because it is simply more practical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:11 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
No, it reflects that people don't want to use public transportation! I use to take public transportation, it was awful. I disliked having to sit by unknown people, I disliked how long it takes to get from point A to point B. People drive vehicles because it is simply more practical.
Like others have said, I think most people drive--whether they want to or not--because public transit is no longer a viable option. It's no longer practical, because we've made ourselves dependent on the automobile.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Like others have said, I think most people drive--whether they want to or not--because public transit is no longer a viable option. It's no longer practical, because we've made ourselves dependent on the automobile.
Seriously, how is public transit practical? Like another poster mentioned, you have to adhere to certain times that it is operating. You can get in and drive a vehicle at any time of the day or night. I know there are idealistic zealous advocates out there that want people out of their personal vehicles real bad for some reason, unfortunately their utopia is unrealistic ( not compatible with reality )

Old 01-17-2015, 09:00 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
American FactFinder - Results

According to the U.S. Census data as of 2013...

86% of all working Americans drive a car or carpool to work
5% use public transportation (trains, subway, buses, etc.)
5% walk, bicycle, motorcycle, taxi or other means
4% work from home

Thoughts?
Not sure what you are looking for here. I don't see anything surprising.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Seriously, how is public transit practical? Like another poster mentioned, you have to adhere to certain times that it is operating. You can get in and drive a vehicle at any time of the day or night. I know there are idealistic zealous advocates out there that want people out of their personal vehicles real bad for some reason, unfortunately their utopia is unrealistic ( not compatible with reality )
Depends where you live, where you are traveling to.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
Quote:
In the few remaining places where good public transportation still exists, there's only a few minutes between arrivals. Of course, this isn't usually true at odd hours. So, if you often take random trips at 3am, then you probably won't be using public transportation for that.

Most of the "idealistic zealots" on this forum don't want to force anyone out of their vehicles; they just want more options, so that those who don't want to be dependent on just a car don't have to be.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Depends where you live, where you are traveling to.
Exactly. Some forget most of us don't live in a major metro area.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
In the few remaining places where good public transportation still exists, there's only a few minutes between arrivals. Of course, this isn't usually true at odd hours. So, if you often take random trips at 3am, then you probably won't be using public transportation for that.

Most of the "idealistic zealots" on this forum don't want to force anyone out of their vehicles; they just want more options, so that those who don't want to be dependent on just a car don't have to be.
I mentioned advocates, which would mean if you aren't a member of a advocate lobby group, my comment more then likely applies to no one in this topic. If some want to use their vehicle less, great good for them.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
The single, childless, and gay...guess what, they're still tax-paying Americans! Ditto for students and the poor and the physically challenged.

If you have children, it's probably for 20-30 years of your 70-80+ year life expectancy, so ...

Please let's stop extrapolating the transportation needs and logistics of healthy, well-to-do suburban families to the rest of America!!!
Yes, they are taxpayers.

If you have 2-3 kids, a few years apart, you're right, it can easily be 25 years or so from the birth of the first to the "launch" of the last. However, you have the first 20 years of your own life to account for, too. Childrearing takes up at least half your adulthood.

We should also not extrapolate the transportation needs of young, single adults to the rest of America.

Old 01-17-2015, 10:09 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Why do you need to drive from end to end of the metro you live in regularly? Even when you drive, most people don't drive everywhere and tend to stick to their portion of the metro they live in.
To access different amenities and stores.

Sure, I stick to my suburb for the most part, but that's about 65% of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning