U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:43 AM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times

Advertisements

12 Cities Where You Can Live Affordably in a Walkable Neighborhood - Walk Score Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 02:52 PM

1,998 posts, read 2,931,684 times
I don't think cheaper housing (i refuse to use the term "affordable") and walkability are that hard to find. It's more cheaper housing, walkability AND good public schools up to high school that are hard to find all together. If anybody has suggestions for neighborhoods that hit all three, let me know!
(by cheaper housing I mean you can buy a freestanding single family home or rowhouse that isn't falling apart for around 300k, 350k)

Old 01-16-2015, 03:03 PM

4,893 posts, read 7,654,530 times
Based on what I hear on this site, good schools are hard to find even in some of the expensive places.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:23 PM

56,565 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
I don't think cheaper housing (i refuse to use the term "affordable") and walkability are that hard to find. It's more cheaper housing, walkability AND good public schools up to high school that are hard to find all together. If anybody has suggestions for neighborhoods that hit all three, let me know!
(by cheaper housing I mean you can buy a freestanding single family home or rowhouse that isn't falling apart for around 300k, 350k)
There are villages in Upstate NY near bigger cities that would fit your criteria of housing, walkability and good schools. Keep taxes in mind, but your home price will/can be about a third to two thirds of what you mentioned. Just to throw some out there, places like Brockport, Fairport, East Aurora, Liverpool, New Hartford, Kenmore, Scotia, Horseheads and Baldwinsville, among others. Small cities like Corning, Plattsburgh, Glens Falls and Geneva may also work. Geneva also has rowhouses and its schools has a respectable grad rate in the low 80's in terms of percentage: Welcome to South Main Street, Geneva

I believe that some NE Ohio communities would fit too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-17-2015 at 12:41 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,078,755 times
It is definitely possible to find a house with a high walk score (>70) in the Miami area for under $300k, not in the ghetto (which is closer to $100k...), but of course not in any of the "hot" neighborhoods either. If you include condos, there are many more options. Although for the most part these are houses near multiple strip malls, some of them are within walking distance to Metrorail or busway or planned future commuter rail stations.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
Chicago, Pittsburgh, Sacramento and Philly are the only places on that list that I have any interest in. Buffalo and Rochester are cool places but the only places I would suffer through that kind of winter for are Toronto or Chicago.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Chicago, Pittsburgh, Sacramento and Philly are the only places on that list that I have any interest in. Buffalo and Rochester are cool places but the only places I would suffer through that kind of winter for are Toronto or Chicago.
I personally would add Montreal to that list too.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:53 AM

678 posts, read 692,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I personally would add Montreal to that list too.
And, Montreal is relatively affordable as well!

Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM

5,311 posts, read 5,328,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
And, Montreal is relatively affordable as well!
Yeah, especially since you get such a tremendous urban environment for your money. It was always my impression that Montreal was more affordable than Toronto, but I suppose I'm wrong when it comes to walkablility?

Cost of Living in Canada. 2015 prices in Canada.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
I don't know - Montreal is 5-10 degrees colder than Toronto in winter. Don't get me wrong, I really like Montreal, but in a practical sense moving to Toronto is about as seamless a transition as you can make in moving to a new country and the weather isn't that much different from Chicago.

I've considered Montreal (US planners can work in Canada through NAFTA without too much trouble) but I've heard a lot about the language drama there and, not just from the visa perspective, that it can be difficult to find work of a professional sort if you're not credentialed in Quebec and even then if you're viewed as an outsider it can be exceedingly difficult regardless of your language skills and credentials.

ETA: I've resigned myself to the fact that if you want to live in a global city with good services and amenities you have to pay for it. Toronto, Vancouver, New York, SF, DC, Sydney, London, etc . . . there is quite a bit of price variation among them but they're all expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning