Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times

Advertisements

Large cities established their limits long ago and never changed. The entire urban population lived inside the City limits until about 1945 when the first suburb, Levittown NY, was built. The rest of the nation followed. Until recently there was no poverty in the suburbs. Every working person who lived in the suburbs worked in the city, only in the 70s were there offices in the suburbs.

Actually, none of this is true. Railroad suburbs have existed for 150 years. Cities often grew in their early years by annexing suburbs.
Any other widely believed falsehoods you can think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 06:46 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,257,754 times
Every city has to be considered individually, depending on how it was developed and why. I don't think that you can make blanket statements about the relationship of the city to the suburbs.

Here in Pittsburgh, a lot of our suburbs are river and railroad towns established with their own industries, employers and some of the other suburbs are really suburbs of these radial employment centers.

In other cities, things were undoubtably set up differently and the towns grew differently.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
^^Exactly! I grew up in one of those Pittsburgh suburbs.

It's the same here in Denver. The town where I now live is an old coal mining town. Several suburbs are old farm towns. Because Denver is its own city/county, several suburban cities are the county seats of their own counties. Golden is legendary for Coors Beer. Boulder has the university, and Golden has Colorado School of Mines.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Large cities established their limits long ago and never changed. The entire urban population lived inside the City limits until about 1945 when the first suburb, Levittown NY, was built. The rest of the nation followed. Until recently there was no poverty in the suburbs. Every working person who lived in the suburbs worked in the city, only in the 70s were there offices in the suburbs.

Actually, none of this is true. Railroad suburbs have existed for 150 years. Cities often grew in their early years by annexing suburbs.
The term suburb has evolved over the years. Once streetcar suburbs are now considered to be inner city neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
^^Exactly! I grew up in one of those Pittsburgh suburbs.

It's the same here in Denver. The town where I now live is an old coal mining town. Several suburbs are old farm towns. Because Denver is its own city/county, several suburban cities are the county seats of their own counties. Golden is legendary for Coors Beer. Boulder has the university, and Golden has Colorado School of Mines.
I just realized you changed your name on here, I didn't realize it until this post.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:29 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,325 times
The auto-dependent suburbs of today are not remotely the same as the pre-war suburbs. /thread.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:58 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post

I don't think your first paragraph was ever actually said (at least by anyone who knows what they are talking about). Here's how I view the type of history to which you are referring, in my own words: Cities formed, but were often surrounded by small towns. These small towns were very often clustered around rail lines, trolley lines, main roads, rivers/creeks/etc. The notion of "suburb" that we know now did not exist all that much until the 40/50's, because that's when "suburban sprawl" began, in no small part due to the advent and expansion of the interstate system. Before this time, the small towns that existed all around cities were largely secluded and independent but at the same time very much affiliated with the larger city. For example, the small towns in the hinterlands between Philadelphia and Reading had all they needed (stores, hospitals, schools, etc.) but very often made products that were shipped into the city, and provided a location for local farmers to ship their goods to the city, and these places often provided the city people with "country" retreats during the summer months. Now many of these same places are surrounded by "suburban sprawl."

Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I don't think your first paragraph was ever actually said (at least by anyone who knows what they are talking about). Here's how I view the type of history to which you are referring, in my own words: Cities formed, but were often surrounded by small towns. These small towns were very often clustered around rail lines, trolley lines, main roads, rivers/creeks/etc. The notion of "suburb" that we know now did not exist all that much until the 40/50's, because that's when "suburban sprawl" began, in no small part due to the advent and expansion of the interstate system. Before this time, the small towns that existed all around cities were largely secluded and independent but at the same time very much affiliated with the larger city. For example, the small towns in the hinterlands between Philadelphia and Reading had all they needed (stores, hospitals, schools, etc.) but very often made products that were shipped into the city, and provided a location for local farmers to ship their goods to the city, and these places often provided the city people with "country" retreats during the summer months. Now many of these same places are surrounded by "suburban sprawl."
I didn't say anyone Knowledgable said that, but many people believe that. The notion of the suburb has been around for a long time. Commuter railroad timetables often said "suburban service." Railroads had lots of land available and developing it for residential use meant haulage of building materials and coal(yes, early homes were heated with it) revenue. Yes, some suburbs were once small towns.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
I think people can most people can notice older development and "villages" within suburbs. Sure, people toss around stereotypes but what's the point of arguing with idiots? Surely there can be a more interesting conversation. Some posters use suburbs to refer to only to those built postwar-suburbs. Perhaps a poor word choice, but once you figure out what they're saying, to argue against their choice becomes yet another tedious semantics argument rather something about anything substantial.

One side of my side lived in the same area (within about 10 miles of each other) for the last 100 years (a few more like 150 years) or so. Today a suburbs, then considered more towns with a railroad and countryside.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
The area I'm in has contained suburbs since the mid-1800s. The first one I know of that was neither a train nor streetcar suburb was a mansion suburb (no "Mc").

Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
it sucks oregon city got rid of a old mansion but theres still houses from the 1840's. its grown a lot since then for just a suburb apart of a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning