U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 05:01 PM

929 posts, read 843,132 times

Advertisements

you would take up a lot of space like a airport. thats not a gimmick, thats the why it would be cheaper then to have a bunch of busses and trains that get parked in garages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 05:07 PM

2,090 posts, read 2,029,288 times
Not profitable when up against current rental systems and difficult to pry the hands of Americans from the steering wheel of their favorite car. We take cars seriously, we are proud of our vehicles, and generally are not willing to give them up.

Since not profitable in the foreseeable future, either needs government assistance (unlikely) or won't happen.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:21 PM

you can own a car but you got to own a three wheeled or two wheeled enclosed motorcycle for going to work or going to the store. have a bunch of bike paths and a bunch of lightrail lines.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:49 PM

12,704 posts, read 9,959,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
All this is is a car share service (Zipcar?) with a twist in that they are all electric. The 'vending machine' is just a marketing gimmick. They don't need a fancy system to deliver cars to the users. Since the cars are all identical they only need to give the customer the 'next available'' car. Any super high density storage facility with charging stations would work.

And I don't see these being used for intercity trips but for errands in the metro area (The one example in the video was a family trip to the mall)
Yeah, in my area we already have Zipcar, and I am a big fan. I make a low income and probably drive only 1000 miles/year or so, the cost to own a car is ridiculous and it's nice to not totally lose my mobility. To me, 1-2 miles is really a reasonable biking or even walking distance, and does not require a car. Driving is for trips to a different part of town, not for going to the convenience store around the block!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:06 PM

its crazy how people drive cars to go to the store or to work. if you have a family its ok, but oil is not good to suport. electric cars arnt to good eather

Old 01-24-2015, 06:23 PM

12,289 posts, read 15,181,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
its crazy how people drive cars to go to the store or to work. if you have a family its ok, but oil is not good to suport. electric cars arnt to good eather
The problem is you have to go where the work is, and it's not always convenient to walk or use transit. To the store you need to carry stuff home.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:40 PM

i know that, ive lived in the country half my life but cars are big these days. there getting smaller though

mini's and vw's arnt small anymore atleast. those cars were cool

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 AM

86,981 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
a car doesnt make sence for that, a enclosed motorcycle would be a lot better. theres one comming out soon thats cheap and made in the us
Another young childless, male poster I see. Sometimes you have to take the kids along when you go grocery shopping. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

Quote:
i know that, ive lived in the country half my life but cars are big these days. there getting smaller though

mini's and vw's arnt small anymore atleast. those cars were cool
Cars are way smaller, in general, than they were in the 50s/60s.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:59 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,276,430 times
It is actually shorter distances that make cars more economical. Go to work, leave at lunch to get Rx filled at discount Rx, pick up kids at daycare, get pizza on way home, etc. an argument can be made for getting on a bus to go 100 miles, but not for every day tasks unless you live in the guts of a huge city.

Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Another young childless, male poster I see. Sometimes you have to take the kids along when you go grocery shopping. Motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

Cars are way smaller, in general, than they were in the 50s/60s.
in china there pretty small. smallest one, a tandem two seat car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8-GijXoigs

pretty much as safe as a enclosed motorcycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or