U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 02:54 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,790,605 times

Advertisements

I would guess one every hour or so during the day, and at night it's maybe every few hours. haven't really trainspotted lol. Maybe I should, to figure out the frequency!

Is the rail by Railroad Park still fully active? I can't tell from the pictures or the map, but is there some sort of barrier between the 2? I would presume at least something to keep pedestrians off the tracks, but any kind of noise mitigation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
What kind of rail traffic? Unit coal trains? Intermodal? Then there is the worst kind Unit oil or chemical trains. Given the recent publicity derailments of crude oil trains or chemical trains have gotten I wouldn't want anything to do with revitalization along such a rail corridor.

How many tracks, how much traffic? Some multi track lines run almost constant traffic. A rail line that is empty isn't making money for the company so they will be looking to put traffic on it.

Actually that reminds me - you can add traffic within the next few years from Commuter or Heavy Rail that will be sharing ROWs with the Freight Rail.

Mostly goods - I think some coal trains - I've seen the double height cargo and a the livestock ones (always empty when I see them) - have never seen a chemical train - but I don't cross paths with the track enough to really know. On the other side of the tracks is a giant honking Recycling Company though. They aren't going anywhere - so I don't think Residential would really be attractive with that view. It's an Industrial Corridor in an era when industrial is barely breathing around here.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:13 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,189,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
Actually that reminds me - you can add traffic within the next few years from Commuter or Heavy Rail that will be sharing ROWs with the Freight Rail.

Mostly goods - I think some coal trains - I've seen the double height cargo and a the livestock ones (always empty when I see them) - have never seen a chemical train - but I don't cross paths with the track enough to really know. On the other side of the tracks is a giant honking Recycling Company though. They aren't going anywhere - so I don't think Residential would really be attractive with that view. It's an Industrial Corridor in an era when industrial is barely breathing around here.
I'm curious where you are that you see much livestock traffic. I haven't seen any in years. When you say commuter rail using the corridor are you saying using the same tracks? I wouldn't bet on it. Most freight rail companies hate commuter rail. It ties up their tracks for several hours each day with stop/start traffic that gets in the way of efficient freight operations. Locally the MARC commuter rail service runs on CSX tracks into Washington DC and from everything I hear they are not about to let it be expanded.

Don't take this wrong but could you be confusing 'auto racks' for livestock trains? With the ventalated side panels and the multideck configuration I can see how they could be confused for livestock cars

Old 01-26-2015, 03:24 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,905,550 times
Denver's southwest Light Rail Line (C, D lines) were built in the existing right-of-way for the freight lines. There has been considerable transit-oriented development as a result of the light rail, but the freight trains still rumble through frequently.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:25 PM

12,299 posts, read 15,196,725 times
Quote:
I'm curious where you are that you see much livestock traffic. I haven't seen any in years. When you say commuter rail using the corridor are you saying using the same tracks? I wouldn't bet on it. Most freight rail companies hate commuter rail. It ties up their tracks for several hours each day with stop/start traffic that gets in the way of efficient freight operations. Locally the MARC commuter rail service runs on CSX tracks into Washington DC and from everything I hear they are not about to let it be expanded.

Don't take this wrong but could you be confusing 'auto racks' for livestock trains? With the ventalated side panels and the multideck configuration I can see how they could be confused for livestock cars
But many like it. They get tracks upgraded and double tracked, and sometimes freed from the burden of ownership, paying only on as-needed basis. The old Wisconsin Central line used to have just one freight train a day. Now it has 22 commuter and probably as many freight trains.

Old 01-26-2015, 07:52 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,189,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
But many like it. They get tracks upgraded and double tracked, and sometimes freed from the burden of ownership, paying only on as-needed basis. The old Wisconsin Central line used to have just one freight train a day. Now it has 22 commuter and probably as many freight trains.
Granted that smaller lines may like it but the WC isn't a major railroad. The OP seemed to be talking about a main line which probably has much higher traffic

Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
I would guess one every hour or so during the day, and at night it's maybe every few hours. haven't really trainspotted lol. Maybe I should, to figure out the frequency!
This reminds me - Columbia, SC is a fairly large rail hub with relatively busy freight lines coming into the downtown from 7 different directions. In any case, it's not just a busy network but there is a serious lack of grade separation such that when you listened to the traffic report on the radio they would also tell you when the trains were coming - what time, which crossings, and how many rail cars to expect.

The amount of downtown development that has taken place there, pretty close to the tracks, over the last 18 years is staggering.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:35 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,367,131 times
Flagstaff, AZ.

The tracks through town carry over 100 trains per day. If that's not heavily used, I don't know what is.

It helps that the road running alongside the tracks is Rte 66, but there's businesses up and down the street on the north side. On the south side, there's a grassy easement between the road and the tracks -- really beautiful at the end of the summer when the mountain flowers bloom.

15 years ago, downtown Flagstaff was in shambles. But over the past decade, they've revitalized the entire downtown area, even right along the tracks. Heck, Altitudes Bar is built literally alongside the tracks, and offers $2 "train shots" whenever a train passes by.

If you look at Flagstaff on a map, downtown is just north of Rte 66 and the tracks. The area south of the tracks, between downtown and Northern Arizona University is known as "Southside". Older homes, mostly rented to students, with small, local businesses along the main roads (perpendicular to the tracks, San Francisco St and Beaver St).

Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Atlanta - it could be auto racks. I just saw the ventilation and presumed livestock, but they are double- height so auto makes more sense.

And I believe the track is CSX track here as well. I don't know if it will be using the actual rail or the RoWs alongside the freight rail.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
This reminds me - Columbia, SC is a fairly large rail hub with relatively busy freight lines coming into the downtown from 7 different directions. In any case, it's not just a busy network but there is a serious lack of grade separation such that when you listened to the traffic report on the radio they would also tell you when the trains were coming - what time, which crossings, and how many rail cars to expect.

The amount of downtown development that has taken place there, pretty close to the tracks, over the last 18 years is staggering.

Are people generally ok with living alongside busy freight rail (in the South at least)? I know around Atlanta, it doesn't seem to matter the demographics of a neighborhood, all the older neighborhoods are right up along the tracks. maybe I am applying my own noise bias to things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or