U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 01:49 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,744,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I know that I am not likely to convert any New Yorkers to the midwestern way of life. It was not my intention. But, my NYC friends suffer from a blindspot when it comes to NYC. Uniformly, they expect that everyone would want to live in the great City if only one had the chance. And, they fail to see the high cost they pay for saying they live in the greatest city in the . . . well . . . middle of the east coast.

If you don't get it, you won't get it. I'm happy for the civic pride. But, I have an 8 minute commute to work, a private garage across from my office, and I can walk to 62 restaurants from my residence's front door in a place where one can live in a 100 year old 5 bedroom house with an in ground pool for under a half mil. And, I can be in NYC for a museum visit or a performance for about the cost of one week's NYC city income tax on my salary. I'm glad NYC is there. Nice place to visit.
I noticed that too during the couple years of living in that metro. I spent all my time commuting and working and never feeling like I got to take in an enjoy living there. Since moving back home I have found my wife and I have more time to enjoy ourselves and spend more time with friends and family than working and commuting.

I think there is that level of density that is perfect for a city, but for most, NYC is too dense and isn't worth living in. I have a 15-20 minute car ride, or 30 minute bike ride, or a 40 minute bus ride into work. Tons of food options to walk to around work and around my home and I get to live in one of the greatest parts of the country. Plus it was in the low 50s and overcast today with no snow in sight unless you count the snow on top of the mountain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 06:47 AM

4,905 posts, read 7,707,416 times
I haven't watched the video yet. Maybe I'll have something else to say when I get the chance to watch it, but I hope the following isn't too off-base.

IMO, if most of our older cities (the cities that did most of their growing before 1950) had not taken the Robert Moses approach to freeway building; crashing freeways through the heart of cities, they would have done a better job of retaining their density and vibrancy. They would have remained more like NYC, and wouldn't have lost the infrastructure amenities that NYC has retained. (I have public transit in mind, but it's not necessarily limited to that.) NYC wouldn't be such an outlier among US cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or