U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 AM

33,046 posts, read 22,169,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
People paying low rents, having few opportunities to rent elsewhere and facing high moving costs.

Less sympathetically, people having their low rents paid by you and me.

Oh wait...I'm paying high unsubsidized rents, I need increased blight, not more gentrification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Actually, consumption per individual has soared since the 1960s when birth rates were high. Much bigger houses, one car per individual instead of per family, etc. It's consumption per family that stagnated, partly because of smaller family size.

But I agree that people who are well qualified to have one or two kids should consider having more than two. Social capital is not literally fixed, and large families can do fine.

Two Americas. Homeowners are enjoying larger homes and increased consumption, I live in a 1000-sf house with seven other adults and one-eighth car per person.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:33 PM

15,749 posts, read 9,298,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Two Americas. Homeowners are enjoying larger homes and increased consumption, I live in a 1000-sf house with seven other adults and one-eighth car per person.
You are perfectly correct.

One America took their college education and built a career on it. They saved, worked hard AND smart, and moved up the ladder. They were able to buy a home, and enjoyed greater purchasing power, because their salary increased with their upward mobility.

The other America squandered the great opportunities that this country affords. They refused to take jobs that provided upward mobility, gave up quickly when the "perfect" job didn't pan out, and settled for low wages and all the hardships that come with poverty wages.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You are perfectly correct.

One America took their college education and built a career on it. They saved, worked hard AND smart, and moved up the ladder. They were able to buy a home, and enjoyed greater purchasing power, because their salary increased with their upward mobility.

The other America squandered the great opportunities that this country affords. They refused to take jobs that provided upward mobility, gave up quickly when the "perfect" job didn't pan out, and settled for low wages and all the hardships that come with poverty wages.

Not my fault I got a $100 scholarship and no financial aid and couldn't afford law school.

Not my fault my next door neighbor pays less to own a 3BR house than I pay to rent a room.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 PM

87,120 posts, read 102,914,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I would think there would be a constant supply of singles to fill those condo units. As some singles marry, start families and move away, a slightly younger crop of singles will move in to take their place and this will go on and on as long as the human race continues to reproduce.
But you don't really have a city if it's just a dorm space for 20 somethings.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,993 posts, read 42,190,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
why would the age distribution matter? Regardless, whether it's undesirable doesn't mean that it's not a likely result, though only limited to some neighborhoods.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:52 AM

3,396 posts, read 6,200,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
College students, and even recent grads, are not buying condos in significant numbers. Just look at the housing stock in student ghettos anywhere in the country to see that. They're dominated by rental properties.

There is actually an increasing demand for smaller condos. The number of people not getting married is increasing, the number of childless married couples is increasing, people are waiting longer to have kids, and the number of retired (and child-free) people is increasing. That creates a demand for smaller condos.

It's also important to note that plenty of families live in condos, especially in major urban areas with high density and property values.

Old 02-13-2015, 02:46 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,009,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
why would the age distribution matter? Regardless, whether it's undesirable doesn't mean that it's not a likely result, though only limited to some neighborhoods.
It is difficult for people to invest in their neighborhoods if they aren't in it for the long term. Young people spending a few years in a neighborhood before they leave can be a detriment to establishing a healthy (and not just economically wealthy) neighborhood. Urban neighborhoods with entertainment, kid friendly, and older resident friendly amenities are pure gold, because people can "age in place" and establish more extensive networks and roots.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
It is difficult for people to invest in their neighborhoods if they aren't in it for the long term. Young people spending a few years in a neighborhood before they leave can be a detriment to establishing a healthy (and not just economically wealthy) neighborhood. Urban neighborhoods with entertainment, kid friendly, and older resident friendly amenities are pure gold, because people can "age in place" and establish more extensive networks and roots.

People can "age in place" only if they are not priced out of the neighborhood.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:58 PM

15,749 posts, read 9,298,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
People can "age in place" only if they are not priced out of the neighborhood.
Or crimed out of the neighborhood. My mom owned a house in a quiet, safe neighborhood. Over the years, more and more rentals went in, and with it came more and more crime.

She decided it was time to move when a guy broke into her house, thinking it was the drug house next door, and came up her stairs while she was sleeping. Her calling out drove him out, but not before he stole her purse. She put the house up for sale shortly after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or