U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 09:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times

Advertisements

Boston's new rail transit map:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B97It8jCQAABmCB.jpg:large

Note the non-crossed out lines: most of those are underground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 10:00 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,514,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston's new rail transit map:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B97It8jCQAABmCB.jpg:large

Note the non-crossed out lines: most of those are underground.
So happy to not be in Boston right now, the amount of snow they have been hit with just seems awful. Pretty accurate transit map, did the head of their transportation put that together before she quit?

Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,095,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So happy to not be in Boston right now, the amount of snow they have been hit with just seems awful. Pretty accurate transit map, did the head of their transportation put that together before she quit?
Being the head of the MBTA is a thankless job that someone should only consider accepting if they only need a high salary for a year or two and then can move on to something else.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:08 PM

929 posts, read 843,740 times
that silver line is like wtf because i dont know what that is

Old 02-15-2015, 11:36 PM

3,396 posts, read 6,180,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So happy to not be in Boston right now, the amount of snow they have been hit with just seems awful.
What they've been hit with is absolutely insane. The last winter I spent significant time in Boston was in 93/94, which was incredibly awful. I was living close to the Orange Line in JP and by this point in the winter I was walking along sidewalks that were about 6-8' above the street level (it wasn't just the snow that fell, it was also the snow plowed from the streets onto the sidewalks). The streets are so narrow that there's simply nowhere to put it.

On nights that it was snowing you would hit intersections where you would scramble down a 6' embankment to reach the street and have nowhere to walk. You'd trudge down the middle of the street through 2' of snow or clamber up a 6-8' bank on the other side that hadn't been trampled down on the top yet. Driving was completely impossible, and just walking 3 or 4 blocks was an adventure. This winter has been worse.

It got even worse when it started to melt. I was walking home from a bar one night and an 8' high sidewalk along Everett gave way and collapsed into the street. I was basically in an avalanche falling into moving traffic. Good times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum bro View Post
that silver line is like wtf because i dont know what that is
yeah, no one really does. I've ridden it a couple times towards Roxbury and it seems like BRT for a bit, and then it seems like the old 49 bus all over again. It's a weird hybrid that doesn't make much sense, but is still a bit faster than the bus routes it replaced.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,265,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago76 View Post
In very severe weather, rail is much better than bus transit. It really comes down to how prepared a city is in general to handle bad weather. In Chicago, they obviously get more than their share of it. The trains always fare better than buses though. I do think one advantage could boil down to track location. Underground certainly is an advantage, but so is elevated in many cases. It's a disadvantage if something does go wrong (because it is more difficult to get to and fix), but it avoids a major issue: drifting snow. Ice isn't a big issue as long as the authority keeps the trains going, but drifts can pile up quickly on at grade systems regardless of frequency.

The aging streetcars in Toronto have been experiencing as much delays in the snowstorms as the buses, so its a toss up.
When the 40 year old streetcar fleet gets replaced by the new modern fleet it should be much more reliable in bad weather.
But as usual that process has been repeatedly delayed and held back by the useless politicians.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:43 PM

358 posts, read 256,631 times
Here in SEPTA LAND .....i think the snow has to be very severe.....last year when Philly was getting hammered with snow every week or every other week SEPTA Rail was pretty much running along with the trolleys and subways. The subway ran all night and they stored the subway cars in the subway so it would be easier for them to heat up and start service. The commuter rail had delays and some trains was cancelled and service on ceartin lines was out of service due to power problems, or fallen trees. I dont think within the last 10 years it has been extreme for their railroad service. Just some of the normal that NJTransit and a few others in the Northeast was facing....doors wasn't closing because they got frozen , some of the equipment broke down.

Sometimes i don't know what might be worse third rail or overhead wires during these snow storms.

Third Rail Gets snow caught in it , flicker crazy as hell.
Overhead wire can freeze and can just flicker crazy as hell.

But overall the commuter rail service will keep running to the best of their abilities. I know if SEPTA, NJTRANSIT cut service AMTRAK for the most part will run until the decide to stop all together.

I dont even want to bring up Hurricane Sandy that tore up most of the railroad service between Philly-Boston the most.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:37 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,987 posts, read 41,947,535 times
Or have the sidewalk to the rail station covered in snow. When I see this, I want to shovel the snow back onto the street

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or