U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 03:49 PM

5,101 posts, read 6,878,964 times

Advertisements

Hello folks,

I post on this forum sometimes and thought I'd get the perspective of this community on a certain question I have been thinking about. I am from the Charleston, WV area and follow a lot of the development that takes place in and around the metro. I am all for the revitalization of Charleston, which IMO has the potential to be a great destination city and urban community. Charleston already has made impressive strides to catch up with the rest of the world on urban renewal and getting people back into the city, but it still has a ways to go before it would be considered in revival.

Across the city, there are several groups (some unified/others separate) trying to prosper there section of town. The efforts include streetscape projects , attracting new businesses, re-purposing older structures, opening parks, making things more walkable, implementing new technology, attracting young professionals, public spaces, entertainment options, cafes, stores, markets, etc... I would say that there is a total of 5 areas of town which a trying to do this. Charleston only has 50k by the way, but a metro around 300k (depends on who you are asking). Each of these communities are trying to make their part of town "the mecca" or social hotspot. I love that this is happening around the city, but this is where my question comes in.

Is there a point where too much community vs community competition can actually have a negative affect on urban renewal? Charleston probably isn't big enough to have 5 successful and thriving business/entertainment/social districts. At some point one or two or three of these areas will stop growing and the focus will be on the others. Downtown is also a factor as it tries to reinvent itself. Also considering that we have a 3 floor urban mall in the heart of downtown and a growing retail corridor just south of the city. What are your thoughts on this, and can the same be said for other small cities that are going through the same thing? Obviously a bigger city has the population to support multiple of these types of neighborhoods.

Here are some of the efforts

home - Charleston East End

Events | West Side Main Street

bridge-road-shops

Visit Charleston WV l Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 03:52 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,611,419 times
I don't see why each one couldn't be successful in their own right, how many successful shopping centers does Charleston and the Charleston metro have?

Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't see why each one couldn't be successful in their own right, how many successful shopping centers does Charleston and the Charleston metro have?
I would say only four significant shopping centers (downtown mall included) are successful in the metro. There are others that are ok, and a few that are bellow average.

Old 02-13-2015, 05:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,959,070 times
West Virginia is a relatively poor state, but there’s a lot of money in Charleston. My grandparents used to live off of Bridge Road near Sunrise. I remember those shops when back in the 80s and many of them are still there—Rite Aid, Kid’s Country, a bank, etc. I’ve eaten at the bistro (which is quite good). I don’t think the shopping district is quite as fancy as that website makes it out to be, and certainly not unsustainable given the disposable income of South Hills.

Personally I think the mall is more in danger than the neighborhoods. I remember when it was built, and it was not looking so hot the last time I was there.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM

12,321 posts, read 15,248,010 times
Probably better than a sports stadium.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:05 PM

56,914 posts, read 81,260,160 times
Why not? Each district can and probably does serve a larger area than the immediate area. It also doesn't hurt to have viable options throughout an area. So, I'd say that is a good thing occurring in Charleston.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
West Virginia is a relatively poor state, but thereís a lot of money in Charleston. My grandparents used to live off of Bridge Road near Sunrise. I remember those shops when back in the 80s and many of them are still thereóRite Aid, Kidís Country, a bank, etc. Iíve eaten at the bistro (which is quite good). I donít think the shopping district is quite as fancy as that website makes it out to be, and certainly not unsustainable given the disposable income of South Hills.

Personally I think the mall is more in danger than the neighborhoods. I remember when it was built, and it was not looking so hot the last time I was there.
The mall has actually become a strong regional shopping hub in recent years. They have been able to attract stores that aren't anywhere else in the state. About 2-3 years ago they remodeled the Town Center in and out, and it is pretty impressive for it being a WV mall.

Charleston Town Center :: 3000 Charleston Town Center, Charleston, WV. 25389 :: 304-345-9525

Charleston Town Center, Mall Renovation - RDL Architects

Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 AM

3,949 posts, read 4,062,911 times
Quote:
Charleston probably isn't big enough to have 5 successful and thriving business/entertainment/social districts.
It depends on how 'localized' they are able to make each one, ie the amount of retail scaled to the number of people who live around it. If they have to compete for foot traffic and it's easy to drive between them, then yes, several probably will fail. And then you have to question if it is built in such a way that the failures can adjust the 'mix' to become successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or