Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 01:03 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

Houston is carving out its 3rd beltway loop around the city (Texas State Highway 99 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). But it seems more of an anomaly as it has the land, resources, private enterprise, and proper political backing to do such an undertaking.

Atlanta can't manage to do a second beltway, or even a partial one in the congested northern burbs, where I'd say it would be most beneficial as a bypass route. Though these new freeways tend to spawn more new suburban sprawl, simply creating new congestion.

Seattle could really benefit from a new eastern arc freeway bypassing the I-5 & 405 congestion. It would be a difficult undertaking with the mountainous topography, environmental impact, and NIMBY opposition.

Are there any metros besides Houston that are building new beltways, spurs, or bypass routes or is transportation planning going a different direction? Are we in a lull between freeway building and new forms of transportation corridors? Many metro areas are boxed in with development with no more room for new freeways. What direction are American cities heading with road building and other new or upgraded forms of transportation corridors in the 2020's?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 02-16-2015 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 01:38 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times
roads are not something the US needs more of. Cities should invest in public transit, but of course republicans don't do that because they benefit more from suburban sprawl. DC is a perfect model. They fought off carving the city up with beltways & built a subway system instead, which has made the city & its suburbans very urban. DC still has a lot of sprawl, but it would be much much worse if metro was never built

Old 02-16-2015, 09:10 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
roads are not something the US needs more of. Cities should invest in public transit, but of course republicans don't do that because they benefit more from suburban sprawl. DC is a perfect model. They fought off carving the city up with beltways & built a subway system instead, which has made the city & its suburbans very urban. DC still has a lot of sprawl, but it would be much much worse if metro was never built
How exactly do you "carve up" a city with something that goes around it?

By the way, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be more investment in public transit, but letting highway infrastructure rot is not the way to do it. And while I understand that the United States let its rail infrastructure rot for several decades, I also understand that two wrongs don't make a right. We deserve both modern public transit and modern highways. The "invest in every mode of transportation except highways" contingency is just as clueless as the "invest in highways only" contingency.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
. DC is a perfect model.
The DC Beltway is home to the WORST traffic jams in the US.

Hell, name one other roadway in the US that was plagued by SNIPERS.

If that's your idea of perfect, I don't want to live in your world.

Old 02-17-2015, 08:17 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
Birmingham, AL is (kind of, sort of, maybe) in the process of completing it's FIRST loop. Lots of controversy, because detractors have a strong point that traffic levels don't really support building it, and that it's really just a boondoggle for developers. The north side folks have felt left out for 30+ years as the south side boomed and grew around the southern part of the loop (459). They want theirs, too.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:37 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
I can't speak for other cities, but in Atlanta (contrary to popular belief) there is no political will to build new highways of any sort. A little known fact is that in Atlanta the highways were only partially built. There were mass revolts by neighborhood groups in Atlanta proper when the second phase of highway construction in the 1970s due to the negative effect the original highway had on the city. They were successful in getting the projects killed and since then there has only been one new high built in the metro (lots of widening though) and that was only because it included a MARTA rail line in the middle of it.

Atlanta freeway revolts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2015, 02:00 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,884,662 times
In Colorado Springs, the west side is pinned in by the mountains, the Air Force Academy northwest and Ft Carson southwest. Therefore the city grew primarily north and east. Years ago, Nevada Avenue, the first major multilane street east of the downtown core was called the "I-25 Bypass". Academy Blvd, a few miles east of Nevada was considered for reconstruction as a beltway in the 1960's. Never happened. Then Powers Blvd a few miles further east was going to be developed as a beltway (some areas even have overpasses with ramps designed to accommodate) in the late 1990's. Never happened. That leaves another road, a few miles further east, Marksheffel. That will never happen either. It's come down to funding. Neither the city or state can afford it and the feds are never going to chip in. I think this city will be one of the largest in the country without a major "freeway system". There's one freeway, I-25, running north/south for a metro area of almost 700,000. I think in our case, beltways and spurs will indeed be a thing of the past. Too late.

Last edited by Kar54; 02-17-2015 at 02:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2015, 02:05 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Pittsburgh is in the process of building a Half-Beltway.

Pennsylvania Route 576 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-17-2015, 02:50 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Both Charlotte and Raleigh continue to build their loops that have been under construction for decades.

Charlotte's I-485 is almost complete with 59 miles of its planned 67 miles. For Charlotte, it's the first real loop around the greater city, save for the urban loop around its very core.

Raleigh's 540 Outer Loop is part I-540 and part toll road: NC540 and has 42 of its planned 68 mile route completed. It is often referred to as the Outer Loop to distinguish itself from Raleigh's Beltline which is part I-40 and part I-440 and jointly runs ~24 miles around the older part of the city and establishes the common local nomenclature: Inside the Beltline or ITB. A new Interstate spur is being established as US-64 running east out of Raleigh is re-designated as I-495 between I-440 and I-95.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:31 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Houston is carving out its 3rd beltway loop around the city (Texas State Highway 99 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). But it seems more of an anomaly as it has the land, resources, private enterprise, and proper political backing to do such an undertaking.

Atlanta can't manage to do a second beltway, or even a partial one in the congested northern burbs, where I'd say it would be most beneficial as a bypass route. Though these new freeways tend to spawn more new suburban sprawl, simply creating new congestion.

Seattle could really benefit from a new eastern arc freeway bypassing the I-5 & 405 congestion. It would be a difficult undertaking with the mountainous topography, environmental impact, and NIMBY opposition.

Are there any metros besides Houston that are building new beltways, spurs, or bypass routes or is transportation planning going a different direction? Are we in a lull between freeway building and new forms of transportation corridors? Many metro areas are boxed in with development with no more room for new freeways. What direction are American cities heading with road building and other new or upgraded forms of transportation corridors in the 2020's?
One thing though, the freeway expansion isn't really a new project for Houston; its been envisioned for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning