U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:59 PM

410 posts, read 390,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Roughly corresponding with the lowest gas prices in 8+ years
Keep in mind gas prices didn't really start to drop until October 2014. The latest VMT data is only through February 2015, meaning only 4 months of 'lowish' gas prices are factored into the 12 month moving average. Wait till October 2015 and see what the VMT data looks like then.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=GASREGW,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 08:03 AM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Many of those "desired number of trips and miles" are demanded only when the price is $0 for use of that strip of roadway. When the roadway is tolled, many of those trips disappear.
Disappear off the tollway, yes, but the driver probably just uses a different route.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 AM

2,493 posts, read 2,197,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Keep in mind gas prices didn't really start to drop until October 2014. The latest VMT data is only through February 2015, meaning only 4 months of 'lowish' gas prices are factored into the 12 month moving average. Wait till October 2015 and see what the VMT data looks like then.

https://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/?id=GASREGW,

Good point. But all of 2014 saw prices lower than the peaks of 2008-2012-2013.
Plus also the economy has steadily improved the last few years.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 AM

14,081 posts, read 16,113,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Good point. But all of 2014 saw prices lower than the peaks of 2008-2012-2013.
Plus also the economy has steadily improved the last few years.
Yeah, but that's just further argument that there really wasn't any fundamental shift in attitude or paradigm shift. Economy was bad and gas prices were high, people drove less. Economy is getting better and gas prices are lower, people drove more. Just people rationally responding to outside stimulus as opposed to this falling out of love with the car myth.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:09 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,008,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Disappear off the tollway, yes, but the driver probably just uses a different route.
Actually, many of the trips literally disappear. When prices move above $0 for access, some do choose to use a different route, but many don't make the trip at all. The consumer reaction to a change in price away from $0, even by a very small amount, is pretty amazing; it is also pretty surprising, as, when it has been studied, consumer react differently by a change away from $0 than from something other than $0, even when the change is the exact same!

Old 04-28-2015, 04:34 PM

87,034 posts, read 102,707,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeconomist View Post
Actually, many of the trips literally disappear. When prices move above $0 for access, some do choose to use a different route, but many don't make the trip at all. The consumer reaction to a change in price away from $0, even by a very small amount, is pretty amazing; it is also pretty surprising, as, when it has been studied, consumer react differently by a change away from $0 than from something other than $0, even when the change is the exact same!
If I need to go to the airport (DIA), I can take the tollway, which is at least $10 each way, or I can take a different route, still interstate/freeway the entire way, and pay no toll. I'm not going to forgo traveling by air d/t the toll, I'll just go the other way. In fact, I generally do go the other way, unless I'm running late. There is little traffic on the tollway.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:44 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,021,758 times
It wasn't that long ago the average a year was 10k ;last I read several years ago up to 12K. the MPG gallon went up but not the usage; it seems. Highway are more crowded than ever.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:04 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,008,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If I need to go to the airport (DIA), I can take the tollway, which is at least $10 each way, or I can take a different route, still interstate/freeway the entire way, and pay no toll. I'm not going to forgo traveling by air d/t the toll, I'll just go the other way. In fact, I generally do go the other way, unless I'm running late. There is little traffic on the tollway.
Well, that's to be expected; that's not a "marginal trip". The trips that disappear are those that the individual doesn't value highly, or highly enough to do at that time as an individual trip.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,048,502 times
note VMT per capita was already flat pre-recession, and still isn't to near pre-recession levels.

For the first time in a decade, U.S. per capita highway travel ticks up SSTI

VMT increase could also be from recreational travel; most of my driving miles (75%+) is from long-distance trips. My example is atypical, however commuting is not the majority source of driving miles.

http://nhts.ornl.gov/2009/pub/stt.pdf

Table 6; page 15, commuting is under 30% of VMT for an average household.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,868 posts, read 54,582,197 times
We're driving 3 hours each way to do a little shopping this weekend in Portland, OR (no sales tax) and visit a few fun places. The news is giving warnings that the holiday Monday along with good weather and gas still just below $3 means many traffic jams throughout the area. Apparently the same is expected in other areas of the country.

What's the best time to drive Memorial Day weekend?

The Outer Banks Voice - AAA predicts holiday weekend travel to be highest in a decade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or