U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM

27,165 posts, read 29,655,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Necessity is the mother of invention . . . and Clipper is a pretty amazing invention.

NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, Portland, LA - are all multi-agency regions and AFAIK none of them are there yet. Philly is the only one I know of with a similar card on the horizon. The game changer with Clipper is being able to keep 6 different passes and stored value on one card. Like if you were really masochistic and wanted to commute from Berkeley to Redwood City everyday you could have an ACTransit monthly pass, a SamTrans monthly pass and you could keep $50 on there for BART and Muni trips.
I did the OG pilot in 2000. Sadly it took another 7-8 years for it to get on the first wave of big agencies. I love that it auto-calculates your transfers. It is a life changer, i just keep some cash on my card and can take any transit I need!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 11:43 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,875,789 times
Hell no, these systems are everywhere. They are just POP (proof of payment) bus routes. Generally they are not very cost effective, because of rampant fair evasion. Some places try to pass them off as BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), which they are not. They also try to promote it as an alternative to light rail, which it is also not. Mostly it is just plain old bus service with pre-payment to supposedly speed up boarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOjZxjYlXtw

Last edited by KaaBoom; 03-21-2015 at 12:00 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 02:11 AM

145 posts, read 221,183 times
The Health Line in Cleveland is like this, as is the new Ashland BRT in Chicago. Both of these advertise themselves as "bus rapid transit", but only have designated lanes for a small portion of the route.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,860 times
Twin Cities are building one (the A Line) and finalizing plans for a second (the C Line) right now. There are plans for up to 10 others.

They're trying to sell it as BRT, which it's not, and as a near-alternative to LRT, which it's DEFINITELY not. I guess it's a marked improvement over regular bus service, but so many of the proposed lines would be much better served and much more marketable as streetcars or fully-fledged LRT. At least Nicollet-Central should be LRT for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6twT1Gl0Y5k

Old 03-22-2015, 01:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,633,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
The Orange and Silver Lines in Los Angeles are like this, though they are supposed to be BRT and not traditional bus service.

Pretty sure off-board payments were supposed to be a feature of the Rapid Bus series in LA but that feature was cut due to budgetary restriction. I could be wrong about that though.
The Silver Line is not like this and Select Bus Service is also BRT. You are correct that the Orange line is like this.

I don't think that people are getting what the difference is between this and other payment methods. It's a proof of payment system like most light rail lines in the US are. You pay before you board and then you don't have to show that you paid to get on the bus. You can board from any door. They have fare inspectors that randomly check riders to see if they've paid.

In LA that's how the Orange line is as well. The Silver line OTOH you have to board from the front and tap your card or pay a cash fare.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:52 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,633,659 times
Quote:
Necessity is the mother of invention . . . and Clipper is a pretty amazing invention.

NYC, Philly, DC, Chicago, Portland, LA - are all multi-agency regions and AFAIK none of them are there yet. Philly is the only one I know of with a similar card on the horizon. The game changer with Clipper is being able to keep 6 different passes and stored value on one card. Like if you were really masochistic and wanted to commute from Berkeley to Redwood City everyday you could have an ACTransit monthly pass, a SamTrans monthly pass and you could keep $50 on there for BART and Muni trips.
LA has a TAP card that is accepted on the large majority of agencies that overlap with LA Metro.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
LA has a TAP card that is accepted on the large majority of agencies that overlap with LA Metro.
Thanks for the update!

Straight from the Department of Redundancy Department - LA County's dozen transit agencies

Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 AM

2,388 posts, read 2,953,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Hell no, these systems are everywhere. They are just POP (proof of payment) bus routes. Generally they are not very cost effective, because of rampant fair evasion. Some places try to pass them off as BRT (Bus Rapid Transit), which they are not. They also try to promote it as an alternative to light rail, which it is also not. Mostly it is just plain old bus service with pre-payment to supposedly speed up boarding.
The prevalence of fare evasion is, in my experience, routinely over-stated. Even if you had a high 10% fare evasion rate on this particular POP bus route it would represent a 3 or 4% loss in your daily budget since fares are typically less than half of the operating budget is often around half of the total budget . . . and that's assuming that everyone who didn't tap or swipe never purchased a fare - and aren't actually weekly or monthly pass holders who forgot to or didn't feel like tapping on.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM

1,954 posts, read 4,504,206 times
Cleveland has a similar bus route

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRIvDvgBjqM

Old 03-23-2015, 05:47 PM

556 posts, read 761,205 times
Quote:

Not quite as well integrated, but the DC/WMATA SmarTrip works on the Baltimore/MTA system, and the Baltimore/MTA CharmCard works on DC/WMATA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or